The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptile Photos
 Chilean Landscaping

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 24/07/2011 : 00:23:52
I got a tiny piece of cork bark not much bigger than a credit card and made it into a spidey cave, packed down the soil and dug a tiny hole in it under the bark

Trixie spend a lot of time sat up top in a ready to pounce poise (not this poise, thats more defensive as i took the lid off and pointed a camera at her. Normally she extends her front legs out and quite often up onto the sides of the tub)

This is her preferred hiding place, she dug the substrate out to one side all by her self apart from some of the very fine soil.
On her way in

And settled in

BATS, I think you need one of these in your life, best £12 I ever spent, oh and £2 for the tub, lol.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 25/07/2011 : 23:51:14
Its been so interesting to watch, she rolls it into a ball with her pedipalps (spider hands) and then lifts the ball up holding it with her Chelicerae (spider fang house) and walks it into a pile.

On further investigation (google) they do clean out their burrows and keep it clean, moving muck into a pile. that will make cleaning easier, maybe I can pursuade her to walk it into a tiny bin.
n/a Posted - 25/07/2011 : 22:20:39
Aww bless - she's just amusing herself having a makeover!
Lotabob Posted - 25/07/2011 : 22:08:20
I need help!!! I've just spent an hour laying on the floor watching Trixie roll the mud into little balls, carry it out of her den place it to the side go back in and do it again. She has shifted a fair amount of muck, and now I feel bad its not deeper, will have to sort her out an even deeper tub next cleaning day.
n/a Posted - 24/07/2011 : 12:23:29
She is absolutely gorgeous, and don't think I haven't been doing some research - to make matters worse there is a spider expert just up the road from me and I've been looking on his website and googling the spiders I fancy, though, trouble is, every one I like is for an advanced keeper ... mind you, what do I expect when I'm tempted by a creature nicknamed 'orange bitey thing' lol?

However, atm slight crisis on at Chateau Bats due to DWP reviewing all of us on Incapacity Benefit.*

So no more livestock atm but if things look up, I think -hope!- there just may be another snake. Spiders are gorgeous but I think with three highly inquisitive insectivorous cats in the house, if I had an escapee ...not good. I'll go on following Trixie's progress instead - she is lovely and so are the pics.

*Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but there may be other people on here in the same position as me and I'd just like to say, if you're stuck for info or feeling stressed out, feel free to email me (addy on profile in hobbies space.) Been given quite a lot of info and would be happy to pass it on. Good luck to us all!

Sorry for hijack, Bob!
BlueDragon Posted - 24/07/2011 : 12:19:33
She seems pleased with her new hidie-hole : )

Yes, I agree. Hold one and get someone to take photos... I bet you'll be coming home with one after that ; )

Lotabob Posted - 24/07/2011 : 00:50:17
You should, and get pictures, they are fast but I've only ever seen Trix move quick when food is involved, other than that she strolls around with big exaggerated leg movements like she owns the place (she does) or sitting cleaning herself.
Kelfezond Posted - 24/07/2011 : 00:39:42
Its not their bite that scares me its the way they move, they're too fast. I imagine them running up my sleeve or onto my back and neck before I can stop it, body is all itchy and tingly just viewing this thread.
They are amazing though! I love seeing all your updates. I promise next time I go reptile shop i'll ask to hold a tarrantula for you lol
Lotabob Posted - 24/07/2011 : 00:35:37
Kelf, I'm not even nervous with her these days, you soon work out what spooks them into a 'back off or I'll bite' pose, and you just back off. There has been a few occasions that she has decided she is going for a walk when the lid is off so I just put my hand where she is heading and she crawls onto my hand without any fuss then she just hand walks a bit, gets bored and sits still, so you gently persuade her back to her tub. I think if you had one and observed its comings and goings you'd be much better around those killer house spiders.
Kelfezond Posted - 24/07/2011 : 00:25:07
It's awesome, I want one... But then I don't :p

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000