The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptile Photos
 Big Ziska is watching me - and a surprise!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 12:21:21
She arrived 4 months ago, via courier, in a cricket box, feeding on jumper mice. Pituophis hatchlings are unusually long though, and gophers may attain 9'. She is now well over 3' and a very active snake who likes to burrow and climb; fortunately I happened to have a 5' viv handy ...

Ziska's feeding day today. As ratty, defrosted overnight, warmed in the sun, I sensed I was being watched. I was. Coils moved irritably about in a hide; a cross little face, tongue flicking, emerged, staring at me hungrily. 'Feeding day, Lil!' There was a whirring noise as her tail rattled (or maybe she was just tapping it in impatience.)

By the time I'd finished my coffee she was out, sitting in her waterbowl, glaring at me and carrying on alarming.

I could see her inflating and deflating like an inner tube as she drew great breaths in and exhaled angrily, making terrible faces and bouncing up and down in her bowl with rage. Even underwater her tail waggled like a demented eel. I got the tongs and offered ratty. She struck once but was too cross to accept; I carefully placed ratty in her feeding bowl and withdrew.

I think she needs a bigger bowl. And that 45g weaner looks a bit puny. I think she needs a bigger rat! Ziska fully agreed with this and consented to dine ...

Finished it off on the aspen - naughty Ziska. (Shouldn't be looking, Lil!)

What's for afters then?

That girl definitely needs a bigger rat next time ...she's a monster! Love her to bits though Ziska says that should be spelled 'bites' lol.

Thanks for looking!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 15:03:15
Thanks Bob - oh a gopher every time! They are wicked! (In every sense lol!)

Yeah, I was thinking that when I looked at the pics - funny her eyes haven't come out well. Then she showed me why not.

Her shed's just 3' long, so she's not as long as I thought; must have been all the inflating of herself.

Gophers are truly gorgeous!

And so are all pits, bulls and pines, but pines have a habit of what's called 'anal popping.' This is quaintly described as the ability to blow air out of the vent. In other words, they fart at you. (And whatever else is in the vent emerges too ...) I am not pining for a pine ...
Lotabob Posted - 29/08/2011 : 14:54:24
I was just about to say in my reply as scrolling down she's looking a bit dulled down is she shedding but you answered my question. lol. She is a stunning snake, I love the attitude as well, I am battling my urges for other snakes and a gopher or bull is high on the list.
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 14:45:11
Attitude?? Tell me about it! Gophers mimick rattlesnakes in the wild; it's incredible to see, but it's chiefly bluff - just enough to make life exciting lol. The only time she ever drew blood was my fault; it was feeding day and stupidly I put my hand into her viv and lifted a piece of driftwood away from the front of her hide - as I drew away, something shot out of the aspen and got me ...really really my fault.

If she's carrying on at me I can just go in there and pick her up ...she may strike but she only tastes me - feels like velcro, had worse bites while catching feral kittens lol.
Lorraine Posted - 29/08/2011 : 14:09:47
Snakes with attitude!!! lol. Love it.
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 12:59:22
Thanks, Figs - yeah that's the first thing they said at Blue Lizard - 'she's got an attitude!' And oh boy they were right lol!

Just off to see pics of your Tex ...
Figs Posted - 29/08/2011 : 12:46:15
Must be pit shedding season! Tex has just gone all shiny for me too! Not refusing her dinner of course lol

She is gorgeous You can definitely see the additude though!!
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 12:38:55
OMG - stop press!

I thought she'd been a bit quiet this week, and I'd also missed the big dump in the water bowl, though I'd naturally checked the substrate. Nothing, and Madam hadn't been forthcoming, so I'd respected that. Usually a few days after a feed she uses her chamberpot/waterbowl and then demands armchair walkies, with menaces.

Just looked at the viv now and noticed she was zooming round, but that can be usual, too. THEN - I saw ...THIS!

Pits are very very greedy feeders, under ANY circumstances!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000