The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Ants!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 19/07/2012 : 18:12:51
Hey guys.

Been reading up on some people who keep colonys of ants, remember I had an ant farm when I was a kid (no queen though :/) any of you guys keep them?
They sound quite interesting, I'm always fascinated by the leaf cutter ants at the zoo and we watched a documentary about ants that actually have little farms, they'll take these little bugs from plant to plant fattening them up and protecting them from predators and drink the ooze they excrete! Pretty nifty things!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baobab Posted - 26/08/2012 : 11:09:18
Ants. Good grief Kelf, have you never seen "PHASE IV".
We're doomed all doomed.
Kelfezond Posted - 26/08/2012 : 10:38:11
Well the Lasius Niger colony is in it's home now and hopefully ready to start expanding :) They're not really doing a great deal right now though.
Kelfezond Posted - 12/08/2012 : 16:20:09
Yeah I decided to ignore that expensive equipment, I've got some wood in the garden I'll knock up a base and sides and buy some perspex arcrylic plastic stuff from amazon to use as glass panels for the nest, that'll cost me about £10 if I'm unlucky, seal it with some silicon and that should be it for the nest.
Won't be able to escape the £40 tag on the ants I want though as they're japanese so going to be expensive anywhere to get them to the UK. :/
boomslang Posted - 12/08/2012 : 16:14:28
it does seem a bit ott on the prices,Borderline greed prices.Think what you could get for £78
Kelfezond Posted - 12/08/2012 : 15:13:14
'tis very expensive cheapest I've found the whole shabang for so far is about £78 and that is from a german company so not even sure the extra £17 will cover delivery :/ Madness!

Although there is a cheap way of making your own Ytong nest, which looks easy enough. That would cut out the nest price which will drop it by about £20, then I could try and find a clear plastic box or glass tank for cheap which would cut out the foraging area tank price that'd just leave tubing and ants, but phew it is expensive!
boomslang Posted - 12/08/2012 : 15:03:42
Thats what i was saying when you started this thread.It seems super expensive for afew ants lol.
Kelfezond Posted - 12/08/2012 : 12:33:26
Bah this is becoming rather silly.

Cheapest nests I can find is about £30 for something called a Ytong nest, they seem cool. However you also need tubing and a glass foraging area which from these websites is another £20 at leeeast. Then add to that the price of the actual ants I wanted, Camponotus japonicus, and that's another £40. This is getting mad.
boomslang Posted - 21/07/2012 : 02:09:58
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Silkworms are a nightmare, its a good job they are really good for the frog and others or I'd have given up ages ago I'm kinda attached to them now too.

Id need a farm to feed my lot,So far easier just to buy them
Lotabob Posted - 21/07/2012 : 01:28:13
Silkworms are a nightmare, its a good job they are really good for the frog and others or I'd have given up ages ago I'm kinda attached to them now too.
boomslang Posted - 20/07/2012 : 22:32:55
I tried purple beetle things,but they all died Silkworms are hard to :) I was breeding them for my chams,but got sick of it and just bought them each month.
Lotabob Posted - 20/07/2012 : 21:42:02
I have fruit beetle cocoons on their way to becoming beetles and a tub full of silkworm eggs I'm waiting for them to hatch. Bugs are fun. i have been thinking of an ant colony for a while, I have seen a few websites that sell them too.
boomslang Posted - 19/07/2012 : 23:59:06
Get some banana roaches or porcelain roaches and breed them :)
badwool Posted - 19/07/2012 : 23:46:05
Me want!
Kelfezond Posted - 19/07/2012 : 23:11:13
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

How about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc85AjH3zWA

Hahah! XD
boomslang Posted - 19/07/2012 : 22:05:58
£9 for one ant lol? and £89 for a 30cm glass house and some dirt.

I agree they look cool all setup etc.
Kelfezond Posted - 19/07/2012 : 21:49:33
Don't do that, Bob! Christ I've just bought a gecko and I'm importing a royal for £650 >.<
Lotabob Posted - 19/07/2012 : 21:28:57
http://antsuk.com/live-ants
boomslang Posted - 19/07/2012 : 19:17:05
How about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc85AjH3zWA

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000