The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 does any one keep hermann's tortoises?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
blackskull Posted - 31/07/2012 : 19:50:31
the better half has the possibility of getting a couple in a while from one of the vet nurses at work, for free bonus.

now the person that she might be getting them from is against keeping them in a viv but so far has given no reason why. i have had a quick scan through a couple of care sheets. one says they need to be kept in an open environment (tortoise table) for adequate air circulation where as the other recommended using a viv.

are they both right or are they better kept in a tortoise table?

i was thinking a viv as we would have to keep the cats from getting to them.

any insight would be grateful
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
blackskull Posted - 31/07/2012 : 22:10:13
after thinking about it think we will have to pass on getting them. its just too cold in this house over the winter, its literally the house that jack built. the doors and windows are badly fitted, a first year apprentice chippy could have done a better job. if i could have my way i would rip them out and start again
richard v Posted - 31/07/2012 : 21:56:50
Here is what I keep my two in they were hatched august 2011,
Another reason for not keeping in a viv is that they will constantly be trying to get through the glass which can be quite stressful for them as they can never get anywhere. It is best to have something with high sides. You won't need a tortoise table until they are at least 5 years old.

blackskull Posted - 31/07/2012 : 20:18:16
yeah it makes sense

after scanning through a few more care sheets more say an open environment. the other option we have is to use one of those indoor rabbit cage type things, my mum has one this way, but with us having no central heating im concerned this would play havoc with temps.
chrisc Posted - 31/07/2012 : 20:10:40
you can keep them in a viv as long as theres plenty of ventalation.
when my mum was going to get some i was going to sort out a 3x2x2 or simialr viv but replace the glass doors with a fold down mesh door, like a wooden frame that fits the hole an mesh in the middle if that makes sence.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000