The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Best beginner large snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
badwool Posted - 10/12/2012 : 16:06:27
and why?

Go
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rockroyal Posted - 14/12/2012 : 07:21:08
boa constrictor bci male

jonnyc1988 Posted - 13/12/2012 : 22:23:09
Good plan!!!
chrisc Posted - 13/12/2012 : 21:45:35
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

That is awesome!! My girfriend wants a pig, or a pug!?!? Too much hard work if you ask me. Im determined to get a boa. Will definitely take some convincing though, shes terrified of my new Hognose. She likes my royal though

just tell her its a royal morph then when it gets big say you must have been sold the wrong snake
jonnyc1988 Posted - 13/12/2012 : 21:20:38
That is awesome!! My girfriend wants a pig, or a pug!?!? Too much hard work if you ask me. Im determined to get a boa. Will definitely take some convincing though, shes terrified of my new Hognose. She likes my royal though
jbarlow91 Posted - 12/12/2012 : 12:49:37
How lucky are you! Can you get your missus to come and have a word with mine lol
austin_89 Posted - 12/12/2012 : 12:47:56
I'm hopefully getting a boa next year aswell as my first big snake :)
Kelfezond Posted - 12/12/2012 : 12:43:42
Epic!
Leucistic Posted - 12/12/2012 : 11:41:04
quote:
Originally posted by badwool

Got home last night from another loooooooooong day grafting in the office, walked in the kitchen as the Mrs was making my tea...

"seeing as my mum has the kids on saturday darling, why dont we go to the reptile room and see if santa wants to buy you a dwarf retic?"

Boom!

WIN
badwool Posted - 12/12/2012 : 11:14:11
Got home last night from another loooooooooong day grafting in the office, walked in the kitchen as the Mrs was making my tea...

"seeing as my mum has the kids on saturday darling, why dont we go to the reptile room and see if santa wants to buy you a dwarf retic?"

Boom!

jbarlow91 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 20:08:25
Go for a normal size retic lol cheaper and bigger so get more for your money lol
carlb1981 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 19:46:40
Check the sunfire pdh albino g stripe dwarf on here
http://www.thereptileroom.co.uk/livestock/reticulatedpythons.php
badwool Posted - 11/12/2012 : 19:08:07
there is a stunning male sunfire retic for sale on RFUK that I am inquiring about but its super dwarf 7 foot mum to 5 foot dad - That, I think is just too small for what I want.
jbarlow91 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 18:09:50
My house is too small for large tank lol if I got one I wouldn't be putting a tank in my house I'd have to put my house in the tank lol
chrisc Posted - 11/12/2012 : 12:58:44
quote:
Originally posted by jbarlow91

I think green anacondas are cool they have nice markings and they are big lol

dont get a female though as their mental
jbarlow91 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 12:56:50
I think green anacondas are cool they have nice markings and they are big lol
chrisc Posted - 11/12/2012 : 12:15:19
thats what you have to do with my mates afrock an granite burm, the granite left scale prints in my skin last time i heloed clean it out.

yes tap training will stop them thinking you are food long as they cant smell any rats.

with my mates burm an retic you have to hook ther heads out first as anything that goes in their viv's is food to them but most of them are soppy as once out
badwool Posted - 11/12/2012 : 12:08:17
i've helped Josh with it whilst they were cleaning it out - basically he just donned a glove and pinned it - it managed to wrap itself around his arm which quickly turned blue - this snake was about 6 foot - it was an impressive sight.

surely if you tap train it from a baby though you can avoid most mishaps?
chrisc Posted - 11/12/2012 : 12:04:57
i would definatly ask to handle or move the mental burm.
any experience with a big aggressive snake will help a lot if your snake doesnt tame down much an will also let you know what to do if its just having a off day
badwool Posted - 11/12/2012 : 12:01:14
yeah that is what I was thinking.

I know Lee at warrington has a decent size boa in, I will ask him for a hold.

They also have a burm that was taken in by a customer but that is nuts...
chrisc Posted - 11/12/2012 : 11:57:43

[/quote]

Cool thanks for that.

It's a really tough decision....

Part of me thinks "wait until the BRB is fully grown" as he/she will be my longest snake and I will have an idea of handling bigger snakes, but then another part of me thinks, there arent many things that i've not been able to do if I REALLY want to.....

This may sound weird but I want to have that feeling of almost vulnerability from at least one of my snakes - does this make sense to anyone?

I love snakes but admire BIG snakes -

But then I keep going back to the Boa idea......

any advice appreciated.
[/quote]

not thought of it that way but get what you mean.
i love the giants as their hugely impressive snakes and especially when adult you need to give them a huge amount of respect as they could potentially kill you.
my afrock is like owning a 6ft burm at the moment but have read that tame ones can basically reset an become arse's if you do something that really spooks them which is why i only restrain his head if i really have to so that there is some trust build up with him.

have you handled any burm's, retic's or big boa's?
may be worth finding someone local or a shop that will let you handle some to see what their like to handle an see which you like most

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000