The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Bearded Dragon UVB light?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HaydenK Posted - 27/12/2012 : 23:38:28
Hey guys,
I recently got 3 bearded dragons for christmas but the UVB light we had has broken, I am now thinking of what would be best to use for my Bearded Dragons.

I have little knowledge on Beardies at the moment so if you can help, I would appreciate it ;)
Thanks
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 30/12/2012 : 20:49:32
Cool sound's like the low uv hasnt affected them, the male will be fine in the 3ft viv
HaydenK Posted - 30/12/2012 : 20:31:49
@Chrisc - I have been using that website to help with my beardies, its great ;)
I am thinking of getting a 4ft viv and keeping the male in the current 3ft one, he should be fine in that shouldn't he?

Also, I have been closely observing them all, they are all moving and eating perfectly normal which is a good thing.
I will definitely consider separating the male as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys ;)
chrisc Posted - 30/12/2012 : 10:12:24
yea their not a fan of cohabiting on that forum but some good information on there.

this was posted on that forum but its the wrong link now.
here's a great chart with the nutrition content of veg you can feed to beardie's, i printed it off an had it ontop of their viv
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
reptilemadd Posted - 30/12/2012 : 09:16:30
Congrats on your pressie as chrisc said you really could do with seperating the male as he will be constantly horny and really won't take no for an answer if you know what I mean , I'm also a member of the site he suggested although not been on there in a long while, it is a great site and most are quite friendly, (but a word to the wise I wouldn't mention you have three together as some of the members if they are still on have really strong feelings against housing more than one together). Hope you enjoy them cause they are great reptiles.
chrisc Posted - 29/12/2012 : 09:44:26
good that their all moving about fine MBD can take a while to set in but if they have been getting calcium even with the low uv tube they may be alright.

the will be better in a bigger viv but you may have to get another setup for the male he will keep trying to breed with the females which will leave you over run with eggs an he might get the female up the duff again before shes put any weight back on from laying a clutch.
she may also double cluch.

with them being adult give them as much live food as they will eat in 10 minutes once or twice a week an give them veg for the other days.
if a female does lay eggs give her more live food to build her up.
dust their each feed with calcium for a week them after that every other feed also give them a multi vitamin once a week.

personally i would use play sand an big bits of sandstone slate as the substrate or you can use upturned bathroom tiles, lino, paper, kitchen roll or big bits of bark a friend uses this as its too big for them to ingest.

is she starts trashing the viv shes looking for somewhere to lay a good lay box is 2 cat litter trays with an access hole half filled with slightly damp sand, cant remember what the incubation temps are though.

sexing them is fairly easy when their adult
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
HaydenK Posted - 28/12/2012 : 23:42:09
I have been watching them closely, they all seem to be moving/eating and climbing all fine, they do seem to stand up straight but I was told one of them might have eggs coming soon so I am preparing just in case for that.

They are in a 3ft vivarium but should be getting an upgrade in size to maybe a 4ft one soon.
I have been giving them plenty of calcium and putting the cricket dust on crickets too.

Do you think feeding them crickets should be a daily thing, or once every other day, with Veg everyday?
I am keeping a close eye on them all and I have seen one of them has a few missing toenails and a little bit off its tail.

One of them is a male and the other 2 are female from what I have been told, I may get a double check on that with the reptile room though (better to be safe than sorry eh) Even though they seem healthy to me, I am only a novice on them.
I gave them about 15 crickets between them today and a little veg, is that enough for them?

I am also thinking of getting an Arcadia 12% when I can too to replace the Repti-Glo, I have heard it works much better.
I am also making some custom things for them as I have noticed bugs in the log (look similar to Book lice, far from the look of mites but I am being cautious and not having them near the snakes.)

The Substrate is quite worrying also, if you look at the picture below, you will see what I mean, I am thinking of getting reptile carpet for now.

I will give the guy this. The beardies are incredibly tame and I can handle them whenever, they also have great character.

Anyway, here are some pictures of them so far:-

jbarlow91 Posted - 28/12/2012 : 16:06:57
That's shocking good job you have them now lol if they had the 2.0 in for too long they would of ended up with mbd or something. You could sprinkle the veg with calcium aswell just to get them topped up. But I wouldn't use too much cause that can be bad for them aswell
boomslang Posted - 28/12/2012 : 15:51:17
So you have a tube with them now?and how long did they only have 2.0 with the old owner?

what sexes are there?How bigs the cage?
chrisc Posted - 28/12/2012 : 15:08:21
i used to buy the repti glo tubes.

yes 2.0 is nowhere near strong enough if they have been setup like this for a while with the previous owner put the bulb 6-12" from the floor and give them lots of calcium for a few weeks.
are they all runing around an holing their body off the ground properly?
HaydenK Posted - 28/12/2012 : 14:56:22
I Just bought a Repti Glo UVB 10.0 light, they had a 2.0 by previous owners but I don't think that was the right light.
I had spoken to the reptile shop staff and I was told that Repti Sun can be better but they had none in, I don't want to leave them with no UVB lighting for any longer, seems like they have had the wrong light for too long.

Thanks guys ;)
jbarlow91 Posted - 28/12/2012 : 10:52:17
Plus with the compact bulbs the dragon will only get the uvb when they are on the side where the bulb is whereas with the tubes they get it wherever they go in the tank
chrisc Posted - 28/12/2012 : 07:54:42
quote:
Originally posted by jbarlow91

As chris has said I'd go for a uvb 10.0 tube as the compact bulbs don't give off as much uvb

ive read a couple of things about the compact bulbs causing problems with reptiles so wont use them myself
jbarlow91 Posted - 28/12/2012 : 07:20:49
As chris has said I'd go for a uvb 10.0 tube as the compact bulbs don't give off as much uvb
chrisc Posted - 28/12/2012 : 06:11:47
you need a 10.0 uv tube for them
heres a good forum i used a lot when i kept beardies
http://mybeardeddragons.co.uk/

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000