The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 African Pygmy Hedgehogs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Katie. Posted - 31/12/2012 : 16:46:48
I've had my little guy about 2 years now, his birthday is in a few days and I plan on upgrading him to a vivarium.

I normally use a towel to gently scoop him out of his cage (This is what I was taught in exotics and by the breeder, not sure if I'm meant to do it differently?) and have him running around my lap.

He was taken to the vet and the vet did an eye test on him, turns out he is almost blind, he can only see shapes. I assumed this, he's an albino pygmy hedgehog. They have poor sight as it is?

I'm slow when moving around him, no sharp sounds or fast, sudden movements. Every time I try to use my hands to handle him he balls up and hisses, pops etc, yet he can snuggle into me when he is in a towel or a fleece blanket, even a sheet. The heating is on and it's far from cold in this room. He is used to my smell (I've had him for 2 years now and handled him for 99% of that!) Yet he decides he doesn't want to be touched. He doesn't have skin problems and he was given the all clear from the vet with his health.

Anyone know why he does this? He does it to everyone he meets, they can handle him in a towel but not with their hands. We don't have a scent on our hands or anything. We can hand feed him mealworms or cat food and he'll take it out of our fingers. We aren't rough with him and we let him do what he wants.

He might just be a grumpy hog at the end of the day but I'd love to handle him properly :( Anyone with more experience than me have any ideas?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie. Posted - 31/12/2012 : 19:29:16
Ahhh, cheers anyway, I'll try there :)
Kelfezond Posted - 31/12/2012 : 19:03:46
I don't have alot of experience with hogs as we've only had ours under 12 months but I can recommend a good facebook group that have alot of combined experience, perhaps try there.

Butterfly Hogs

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000