The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Crested vs Leopard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonnyc1988 Posted - 30/01/2013 : 07:41:52
I dont have space for a lot of pets so I make a big deal of choosing the right one. I have been wanting a gecko for some time now, but really cant decide between a crested or a leopard gecko. In terms of appearance I think they are both equally stunning, so my debate falls to their other qualities.
Ive handled both Geckos and found crested geckos are very tricky to handle. They are a bit all over the place. It is good fun, just a bit manic!! Leopard geckos are probably a bit more enjoyable to handle.
In terms of diet I like that you dont have to feed cresties live food. Keeping live crickets seems like a lot of extra work (lazy snake feeder!!), but i would enjoy watching a gecko hunt for its food so could be cool.
Also a crestie's viv wouldnt take up as much space with them being abboreal, but it would need regular misting.

These are the points I have been debating, but I want to hear from some gecko owners to see which they prefer. The main thing I feel I dont know much about is the character of the animal, which is quite important to me. Which are funnier? do either have any major problems?

All help will be greatly appreciated
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jimmer7 Posted - 30/01/2013 : 13:40:59
No probs
jonnyc1988 Posted - 30/01/2013 : 13:36:41
In Northumberland, probably as far as you can get from Bristol without entering Scotland!! lol. But thanks for the offer.
jimmer7 Posted - 30/01/2013 : 13:17:49
Hi if you want crested geckos, look in for sale bit got 2 full set ups with everything ready to go.
If your near bristol that is only getting rid of them as wife wanted them played me up untill she got them then left them to me, they are lovely, but just not my thing, lizards in general.
chrisc Posted - 30/01/2013 : 12:51:27
Only places ive know to reccomend calci sand is shops that sell it an the company that makes it.
Problem is due the the calcium in it the lizard thinks its good to eat but too much and it clumps together in their guts, ive seen some nasty autopsy pics from a leo that died from being impacted by it
Will try an find a link when im home an on my laptop
jonnyc1988 Posted - 30/01/2013 : 11:15:59
Yeah, its been spinning for ages. Ive bought books on both and read them cover to cover. I am swaying towards cresties because I think they will be cheaper and easier to manage. Its good to know that they calm down. The one I handled in the shop kept trying to do suicidal jumps from my hand. Was quite scary!! It was young though and I would imagine they cant do too much damage to themselves being so light? I now see why so many lose their tails though!
herriotfan Posted - 30/01/2013 : 11:01:51
I've got both and I really couldn't decide between them.
Both will calm down as they get older and used to handling.
Both will hunt for food and are very interesting to watch in that respect.
Although it's possible to keep cresties on crested gecko diet alone I like to give mine live food too.
They both come in a wide choice of morphs.
Glad I'm not in your shoes...my brain would spin trying to choose!!
Derek FRS Posted - 30/01/2013 : 10:10:01
Everywhere i read recomended calci sand cause they can digest it as its just calcium :/ pluss they have been on it for about 5 years and hasnt done them harm yet they still eat and drink and poo and shed fine :/
chrisc Posted - 30/01/2013 : 10:03:39
Derek you want to get rid of the calci sand it should not be used with any lizard as it clumps together in their stomachs an causes impaction an will possibly kill them if it cant be lossened/removed
carlb1981 Posted - 30/01/2013 : 09:11:46
I would say they are both similar character wise like anything you could have a shy one that likes being left alone or an outgoing one that loves being handled and doesnt run for cover at the sight of you. i have two leos and I've only seen them hunt a handful of times one of them only once as she's shy and just recently started trying to tong feed which one has taken to but the other just hides away i also would say leos cost more to feed than cresties. both are likely to calm down after regular handling and like you say both are stunning i want a crestie too lol its a toughie this one lol
Derek FRS Posted - 30/01/2013 : 08:04:59
I dont know much about crested geckos but i have 2 leopard geckos (lilo & stitch) and they are great little lizzards and great fun to watch them hunting :) and they are great to handle as you say and caring for them is pretty easy i just use calci sand as substrate 3 hides (1in the hot end and 1 in there cool end and a moist 1 closer to there hot end) with there heat mat underneath on a stat and a basking light for during the day feeding wise i usualy feed about 10 crickets every 2 days and they have a constant suply of mealworms in there dish and for the ocasional treat a couple wax worms each and as with any animal a fresh suply of fresh water everyday and thats them happy :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000