The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Bearded diet

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foremand Posted - 16/02/2013 : 14:03:42
Since having the bearded dragon for past couple weeks I've noticed he doesn't eat the fruit/veg side of his food. He has crickets every other day and on the odd occasion I give him mealworms. But I never notice him eating the other stuff.

Any ideas?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie. Posted - 22/02/2013 : 23:11:14
Ahh glad it helped! Bearded dragons are one of my favourites. ^^
Foremand Posted - 22/02/2013 : 17:50:50
:O blimey lol
jbarlow91 Posted - 22/02/2013 : 17:40:43
Its crazy how long some live for lol one of the customers in the shop I use have one who is nearly 17 years old I think it is and its in the guiness book of records lol
jimmer7 Posted - 22/02/2013 : 09:24:47
Hi my bearded dragon was 14years old before I had to have her put a sleep.when she was young she mainly ate live food,and very little veg,(it was offered), but as she got older she ate less live and more veg, so I would not worry to much if you dont see young beardies eatting lots of veg, just offer little and often.also try adding 1 or 2 wax grubs to the veg, not loads as there like mars bars,
Foremand Posted - 22/02/2013 : 02:09:36
Thanks for this. Some great advice here. Much appreciated Katie :)
Katie. Posted - 22/02/2013 : 01:06:22
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-care.php#safevegs

Scroll down and eventually you will come across a whole list of vegetables safe for your bearded dragon and when to feed them, (rarely, occasionally etc.)

Bearded dragons are amazing little things, good luck with yours :)
BlueDragon Posted - 19/02/2013 : 10:00:13
As a staple : )
Meaning don't go giving fruit and sweet stuff all the time. Far too much sugar in it and isn't good for them. Think of fruit more like sweeties for them. It's just a treat.

And, yeah, I've read things like strawberries are good for encouragement as well. And banana is a favourite for lots of Beardies.
Foremand Posted - 18/02/2013 : 20:05:08
As a staple? Or sample lol and thanks ill give it a shot
jbarlow91 Posted - 18/02/2013 : 19:33:26
With the salad can try putting sweet smelling stuff in there like strawberrys to try and attract them too it just don't do it very often as they shouldn't be used as a staple
BlueDragon Posted - 18/02/2013 : 08:58:55
What my Mam does to feed her Toads is to (carfully) slide one of the tubes out of the cricket keeper and tip enough of them into a food bag that's already got the powder in. Then she makes an air bubble in the bag and shakes them about in there till they're all coated. It's easy to do, and I recon the easiest way really.

I've read they should be fed between 10 and 20 crickets two or three times a day, like others have said, as much as they'll eat in ten minuets. Any uneaten ones need to be taken out so they don't eat your Beardie. But you should get used to how many your Beardie will eat, so you'll know how many is too many.

But like's been said. Don't worry too much when they're so young. Live foods are more important right now for growth.
Keep putting in her salads, making sure you keep things interesting by offering different things each time. Nothing worse than a boring salad!
Maybe it might be worth buying some *****ly Pear Pads if you haven't tried those yet? Some Beardies really like them.
Foremand Posted - 16/02/2013 : 18:12:41
Yeah I heard that. Didn't no if there was any other ways ill do that though
chrisc Posted - 16/02/2013 : 18:11:38
easiest way is to put the cricket's into a plastic bag/empty cricket tub then put a bit of calcium powder in there an give it a good shake.

also get some gut load forumla to feed the cricket's, make;s them full of good stuff for the beardie
Foremand Posted - 16/02/2013 : 18:04:45
With the calcium powder how do you Chris or others apply this to crickets as I've been told a few things but looking as easier ideas
chrisc Posted - 16/02/2013 : 17:25:53
quote:
Originally posted by Foremand

How many crickets would you say is a meal?

as many cricket's of the right size that he/she will eat in 5 or 10 minute's, 10-20 or something like that
Foremand Posted - 16/02/2013 : 17:10:39
How many crickets would you say is a meal?
chrisc Posted - 16/02/2013 : 17:05:36
as said when their young they don't need much veg an tend not to eat it anyway. you want to offer live food twice a day when they are very young dusting every other meal with calcium
Foremand Posted - 16/02/2013 : 16:57:05
Thanks ill put some salad etc in but keep on with the crickets :)
jbarlow91 Posted - 16/02/2013 : 16:38:26
I'd keep putting it in but they don't always eat much when they are babies as it isn't too important at that age they just need the bugs everyday to help them grow. You will find when it gets older it will probably swap round and eat more salad than bugs lol
Foremand Posted - 16/02/2013 : 16:31:30
Typical male then haha but saying that my beardie was waving her front leg other day lol strange.

But at least mine isn't the only one. Thanks :)
herriotfan Posted - 16/02/2013 : 16:27:55
Little monkey and so typical of beardies!
The only thing you can do is keep putting his fruit and veg in his viv and hope for the best.
Mine have spells where they go ages without eating anything other than a few crickets, locusts or mealworms. My male hardly ever eats his fruit and veg. The female is much happier to eat a good varied diet.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000