The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 question for king/milk snake owners

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mr_luke Posted - 15/05/2013 : 23:17:47
ive had my sinaloan milksnake for about 6 months now, he must have been a hatchling when i got him because he was tiny hes about 16-18 inches now, at a guess anyway hes not the easiest snake to measure. But hes still very flighty when i try to pick him up, to the point he literally lept out of his RUB and nearly got away from me once. Hes not too bad when ive been holding him for a minuite or 2, aslong as the rooms calm and you dont move too fast. Will he calm down as he gets older? whats the best way to tame him? do you think i should get him a viv so im not picking him up from above? cheers in advance
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 17/05/2013 : 21:19:20
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

milksnake = jack in the box!!!

Haha, add House snakes to that category too.

I've never met a milk snake that doesn't freak out when you first pick it up but they soon calm down. My house snake is the same, you just have to hold on and sit out the wiggling.
chrisc Posted - 16/05/2013 : 04:59:58
very nice little milk snake all you can really do is keep handling him, ive just got a bitey carpet python who is starting to tame down i handle him every day apart from after feeding for about 5 minute's when he strike's/bite's the glove's i wait for a couple of minute's after he has calmed before putting him back.

with taming snake's if they flail about or bite wait till they stop before putting them down otherwise they will think doing that will get you to leave them alone, once they realise biting/trying to run doesn't get them anywhere they should start getting used to it a calm down
mr_luke Posted - 16/05/2013 : 00:16:55
apologies for the size of the picture
mr_luke Posted - 16/05/2013 : 00:14:53
i handle him regularly, but if hes in a particularly bad mood id rather leave him to it, save him the stress. i might try the youre coming out whether you like it or not approach for bit and see how that works, i know he's never going to be as laid back as a royal and i dont mind, snakes are what they are, but it would be nice to show him off to people without freaking them out lol, because hes a lovely little snake. Thanks

[/URL]
jonnyc1988 Posted - 16/05/2013 : 00:00:14
milksnake = jack in the box!!!
Kelfezond Posted - 15/05/2013 : 23:41:14
Kings are generally quite a flighty species - if you really want to calm him down regular handling is the only way but you can never be 100% sure he'll calm, could just be a nervous snake :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000