The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Boa housing size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Margwar Posted - 10/08/2011 : 15:23:26
Me and the OH are looking at getting a pair of boas, the male is 6 foot and the female is 7 foot. They come with a 4 foot vivarium, which I know would be okay for the male, but I have two questions.
Would the male be okay in a 70L RUB for a while, and the female in the 4 foot. Then build a 6 foot as soon as possible?
I'm hoping the vivarium is 4x2 then the 1 square foot of space to 1 foot of snake would apply.
But what are peoples personal opinions on this?

We already have a 2011 Boa, so we'd be building a 6 foot for her at some point any way, so another on top won't be an issue, but in the mean time would a 4 foot and a 70L RUB suffice?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 10/08/2011 : 23:36:03
Its not huge for a Hogg Isle when its got hides, branches, foliage in etc, I go for a bigger viv and pack it out. Did a fair bit of research on Hoggs before getting one and decided that size and setup would suit best.
reptiledanny Posted - 10/08/2011 : 19:47:43
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Yeah I agree with Gmac, thats too small, I have a dwarf species of Boa and she will be in a vivarium 6 foot wide, 2 foot deep and just off 2 feet high. As BATS says too you have to consider their strength not just for handling but for housing, my Sanke has nearly popped the lid off of a temporary plastic TUB a few tmes, she is already the strongest snake I have and she is not even 3 feet yet.

thats huge for a dwarf species, could easily go into a 4ft viv and be happy enough, as dwarf species are also less girth as well, i now compared to a normal bci, a hogg is at least half the girth
n/a Posted - 10/08/2011 : 19:38:38
You just reminded me, Bob - when I bought Surahi, her owners had kept boas, and they told me about a boa that actually did burst out of a rub, locking lid and all.

Margwar, would getting a flatpack 4' viv delivered before the boas' arrival be an option? Only an hour or 2 to assemble and of course the 48 hrs for caulking to cure. It might have to be temporary but if you have breeding plans it won't go to waste.

Congrats on getting them by the way.
Lotabob Posted - 10/08/2011 : 19:10:34
Yeah I agree with Gmac, thats too small, I have a dwarf species of Boa and she will be in a vivarium 6 foot wide, 2 foot deep and just off 2 feet high. As BATS says too you have to consider their strength not just for handling but for housing, my Sanke has nearly popped the lid off of a temporary plastic TUB a few tmes, she is already the strongest snake I have and she is not even 3 feet yet.
n/a Posted - 10/08/2011 : 17:00:07
I've seen huge rubs in B&Q like small bathtubs - however the lids looked a bit flimsy - not advisable with a boa from what I hear.
GMac Posted - 10/08/2011 : 16:00:37
I think that is too small for a boa that size, it is only about 2 and a half feet x 1 and a half, also not very high. Even going by the 1ft2 per snakes legnth it isnt big enough.

Other than actual boxes made specifically for boas you would be lucky to find a box large enough to cater for that size of snake.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000