The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 New Addition - Lamia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 16:29:30
As most of you know, we've been considering a pair of Common Boas to breed this season, after some consideration regarding housing sizes and after looking at a few shops near us, we've got ourselves a new addition. It is technically a boa, but a ickle diddly one!
We picked up a 4 year old female Kenyan Sand Boa, so we're still going for the breeding pair, but only have one half at the moment.
She's a little fiesty when trying to get her out of her RUB, but apart from that she's a little gem. She just shed yesterday so the pictures show her nice and fresh colours. She wouldn't stay still, so some of them are pretty blurry.
She was advertised a Saharan, but on closer inspection she is in fact a Kenyan (This just means finding a mate should be a lot easier!)
She's almost 3 foot and 717g (We'll look at getting a better length measurement another day when I can find a piece of string)
So, without any further delay:

P.S We're on the lookout for a male to complete our pair, so if anyone knows of any drops us a line (Contact page on our website)
Mods - I can't remember if we can put e-mail addresses in posts, hence my link to the website.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tawfik47 Posted - 14/08/2011 : 08:39:56
Great looking sand boa, very nice
mystra Posted - 12/08/2011 : 16:38:28
wow!!! i've not seen a pic of an adult KSB before... now i need one even more!!!!!!!
BlueDragon Posted - 12/08/2011 : 10:50:55
Verry pretty lady, I love the eraticness of her patterns.

She does look bulky, but I thought most Boa species were? But I'm definatly no expert in gravid snakes, so who knows...

Congrats and fingers crossed ; )
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 22:35:18
The OH isn't convinced, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it would be nice to have some little ones, but I'm not too sure if our rack can handle too many more snakes!
n/a Posted - 11/08/2011 : 22:24:56
They give birth in August ...

And if she's been kept with a male ...well ...

Think you're quite likely to have a boa-nus very soon!
Lotabob Posted - 11/08/2011 : 22:17:04
Buy one get 6-20 free. lol.
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 22:14:05
At least if she is gravid we won't have to worry about finding a male this year!
And don't worry, you'll all be the first to know and first to see the babies!
Lotabob Posted - 11/08/2011 : 22:09:20
It was one of the first things that popped in my head when I saw the pictures, lol.
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 22:05:21
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I was thinking she is quite bulky, now after the whole Kelf incident I cant help but think that she is not only huge but hugely pregnant and carrying a belly of squigglers.

Well, you say that, she was kept with a male up until a little while ago when he was sold.
It would be nice, but we're not too sure. I guess only time will tell. The OH doesn't think she is, but I'm now having a mad panic over what to do with the babies if she is!
Lotabob Posted - 11/08/2011 : 21:57:37
I was thinking she is quite bulky, now after the whole Kelf incident I cant help but think that she is not only huge but hugely pregnant and carrying a belly of squigglers.
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 21:32:46
quote:
Originally posted by newbie

Awwww she's gorgeous! Lovely pattern

Thank you, everyone is saying she's pretty.

Over on the dark side, they're all impressed at her size, a breeder over in Denmark said his 3 years olds are only 300g.
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 21:31:52
Yeah, she went for him, then just thrashed around a bit, well from what I could see. The vivariums were about 6 foot from the floor, so I couldn't see properly. I only saw her to begin with because the OH picked me up :P

She's pretty calm at the moment, I did get her out earlier to check some identification markers. And I'll admit I used the hook, but she was pretty calm, and once she'd uncovered herself a bit I picked her up with my hand.

Our King is the craziest one, can't do anything with her, even use a hook, she just moves to quick to control.
We don't really use the hook that often on any of our snakes, but we got it for experience as we'd like to look into getting more aggressive snakes so hook training would be handy any way.

Human contact calms 2 of ours snakes, Margwar chills out when he's in my hair, yes he wraps up in my hair. And Storm will sit in your hand and chill out. When we first got Cormoran the king she would fall asleep in my top, now she just bites and poops everywhere >.<
newbie Posted - 11/08/2011 : 21:28:35
Awwww she's gorgeous! Lovely pattern
n/a Posted - 11/08/2011 : 21:17:31
Do you mean she whipped about dementedly? That's just how some of them are, bless them. Missy was terrible for that when I first got her (was warned she had an 'attitude problem' but now apart from a bit of tail rattling and zippiness she's fine) - Ziska's species pretends to be a rattlesnake in the wild so of course there's the full defence display when she's that way out - it's how gophers are. But they soon calm down ...don't need hooks!

In fact I think the human contact calms them - Zisk came out all tense and stroppy today, went to sleep in my top and emerged limp and soppy ...aaah!
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 19:39:29
The main issue with Lamia is the fact she's an ambush predator, and because she's not got out often, she just assumes the movement on the surface is food. She's fine once she's out of the enclosure.
I gotta admit, Lamia did send her substrate flying when the guy got her out.
I know what you mean Lotabob, Storm is the same, when she looks like she's going strike she barely ever does, but when she's just chilled is the time you need to watch her.
Lotabob Posted - 11/08/2011 : 19:32:40
It may have Boaitis, lol, they can be a little bit nippy from time to time and if he hasn't handled this one often he may just not be sure how it would react and it wouldn't look good if he got bit by the snake you were picking up. I'm not a Boa veteran but even when picking Sanke up she can look ready to strike but doesn't its when she doesn't look like she is about to that I'm worried, lol.
n/a Posted - 11/08/2011 : 19:01:45
Yeah, I've had two from Blue lizard and they are great - Ziska (well, Ziska - wow!) and Shiloh. Quality snakes, absolutely! Shiloh didn't feed with me at first although she came with a good feeding record - reckon that was just bad luck and she's really chowing down the mice now. Zisk just never stopped lol!

A hook?? Ohh dear. By the look of it you can just pick Lamia up ...Ziska and sometimes my Missy (corn who looks pure rat snake) make a fuss but, honestly, well, you just go in there, don't you, and pick them up and they soon calm down. Probably the guy in the shop was just covering himself ...or nervous ...or trying to display his skill with this FIERCE snake ...

Poor Lamia - but she looks to be settling well with you.
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 18:49:55
Thanks Lotabob, she's the first one we've seen in the flesh, all the others have been smaller specimens.
The OH think's she's a bit of a monster and was pretty impressed at the size of her, I myself was more worried about the fact the guy had to use a hook to get her from her vivarium!
Lotabob Posted - 11/08/2011 : 18:35:46
Awww lovely Sand Boa, its not often you see adult pictures.
Margwar Posted - 11/08/2011 : 17:36:16
Thanks, the OH chose the name.
Yeah, I saw they had some in. Will be worth a look, they're one of the few on line companies I'd buy from to be honest.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000