The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 At long last!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/09/2011 : 17:55:18
Spider, my anery corn, is now two and what I call a 'typical' corn, greedy, good-natured and no trouble from the day she arrived, bootlace sized, laid back and interested in everything, especially food.

She just grew and grew, which of course meant frequent shedding. By this summer she had become a very large girl indeed, easily 3' and still growing and scoffing a large mouse every week.

On 25th July I noticed she was blue, which I noted down in the snake diary. Her eyes cleared, and I moved her water bowl into her warm end and waited for the shed, which would take place in about two days' time ...Only it didn't.

I bottomed that viv, searching for her shed. It didn't happen.

Until today, fully two months later, when I rose to see her viv festooned with a Spider body-stocking. Her front half was lying out of a hide; she caught my eye ...I think she was admiring her effort.

In the intervening two months she's eaten, digested and defecated (copiously!) come out for armchair walkies, gone about her daily life perfectly normally, and you could not wish to find a healthier snake, believe me. The unshed skin didn't seem to trouble her at all.

Unless she shed her skin and ate it but I reckon that would be a first for a corn snake lol!

I've heard of this phenomenon before; in fact I think someone on here had a royal that went into blue and delayed the shed for a while. It'd be interesting to know what may cause this but it certainly doesn't seem to have caused her any inconvenience.

Though I'm sure I detected a look of relief on her face...congrats Spider!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 29/09/2011 : 17:20:50
Well, I finally checked but it did seem like a single skin ...a mystery eh? I'm inclined to believe that it just happens; the snake goes into blue but then nature delays the shed for whatever reason ...interesting though.
n/a Posted - 28/09/2011 : 20:47:52
Wow never thought of that - will check on shed when I next go upstairs but never saw anything untoward about it ...yeah she could have taken off her T shirt and cardy at the same time eh?
Lotabob Posted - 28/09/2011 : 20:13:54
Wow thats a long waiting period. Could not even hazard a guess as to why unless the whole thing was retained and you in effect have a double shed this time around, (OK I did just hazard a guess).

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000