The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Uh oh!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/10/2011 : 13:57:29
On Monday Ziska dined (when does she ever not?) on her usual large weaner. Gopher snakes don't mess about. Maybe it's to do with being diurnal desert snakes; in bright light and not much cover, you scarf that prey down fast before something interrupts your meal.

The aftermath is usually deposited in her waterbowl, which is now a giant stoneware lidless casserole from Oxfam. She's now fully 3' long and needs room to soak. Otherwise, when she gets in, the water gets out. Not her fault!

On Tuesday her waterbowl was unsullied, but, fussing about checking and rearranging her viv while she was asleep and couldn't supervise me, I found a trail of little offerings in her deep aspen, and cleaned up. Thank you, Ziska.

On Wednesday I glanced into her viv and saw that she'd been up on a climbing branch when Nature called again ...a lavish monochrome splatter, worthy of Jackson Pollock, decorated the whole of the 2'x2' end wall of her 5' viv. Charming. Thank you, Ziska!

On Thursday, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed was banging on the window of her viv and demanding armchair walkies before I'd even finished my morning coffee. Naturally I complied. Daren't do otherwise! Ziska gave me a playful nip, hissed, tail rattled, walked all over me, and went to sleep in my sleeve as usual. Mercifully, unlike a corn snake, she has never taken a dump on me. Yet!

Today I got up to find her lounging in her water bowl.

What you doing in there, Zisk?

What do you think? (Something's coming, something good ...)

Take aim, fire ...

Aaah, that feels better!

You, there, cat, just bring me the kitchen roll and the F10! Thank you, cat. You, Lil, look sharp, chambermaid service please! And no chuntering!

(Lil, chuntering ...) When do I do anything else round here ...

Thanks for looking.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 26/10/2011 : 18:14:29
LOL - yeah I had noticed ...don't know why ...
boomslang Posted - 26/10/2011 : 17:57:35
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yeah, my royals sometimes go in their hide and then guard it ...corn snakes plead to come out for armchair walkies when you just know they're planning to let fly in your sleeve, but Ziska just looks at me with that glint in her eye, especially if I don't pay attention straight away ...'can't get the staff round here!'

People who think that owning a snake will make them look cool and trendy have no idea ...it's like having newborn babies ...no nappies and the little dears will never be potty trained ...

I think the royals are worse,they lay in ****,get rat and mice guts all over themselfs.Where as my corn won't go near his poo lol.

Have you noticed how this seems to be our thread?no one else has said a word lol.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2011 : 16:19:17
Yeah, my royals sometimes go in their hide and then guard it ...corn snakes plead to come out for armchair walkies when you just know they're planning to let fly in your sleeve, but Ziska just looks at me with that glint in her eye, especially if I don't pay attention straight away ...'can't get the staff round here!'

People who think that owning a snake will make them look cool and trendy have no idea ...it's like having newborn babies ...no nappies and the little dears will never be potty trained ...
boomslang Posted - 26/10/2011 : 14:41:27
quote:

LOL - I don't go in shops these days if I can help it, but talking of being followed around ...glanced up this morning to see that I was being watched. A fierce little face was staring at me intently from her viv ...now what do you want, Ziska?

Silly question. As soon as she'd retired to her favourite hide I went to check ...chambermaid duty again ...

Oh, and now Emily the cat is visiting the kitchen tray ...honestly, my life revolves around ****shovelling lol![}

I only go in for food and bugs etc :P and yeah to true,when i see mine at the front of there vivs,Not moving or up a log hiding,i no theres poo in there lol.

One of the royals,poo's then just lays in it.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2011 : 11:01:59
LOL - I don't go in shops these days if I can help it, but talking of being followed around ...glanced up this morning to see that I was being watched. A fierce little face was staring at me intently from her viv ...now what do you want, Ziska?

Silly question. As soon as she'd retired to her favourite hide I went to check ...chambermaid duty again ...

Oh, and now Emily the cat is visiting the kitchen tray ...honestly, my life revolves around ****shovelling lol![}
boomslang Posted - 25/10/2011 : 16:08:44
quote:

I've never encountered hard sell from petshops myself ...although I've seen bad practice in petshops that as a novice I've assumed to be correct, like keeping several beardies in one enclosure ...not good.

Yeah i've been in lovely looking shops,where they kinda follow you around talking non stop etc.

And other shops where someone tried to sell me three yemen chameleons,Then told me it was ok keeping all three in the same enclosure.I stick with the shops i no now,I really hate being followed around and bugged to death,while trying to look at the animals.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:07:49
I've never encountered hard sell from petshops myself ...although I've seen bad practice in petshops that as a novice I've assumed to be correct, like keeping several beardies in one enclosure ...not good.
boomslang Posted - 25/10/2011 : 14:20:08
quote:

LOL - in my house there is just space in the corner for me ...

lol i can believe that Anyway i like to fully no,any new animals i get are because i've researched them and its what i want.

I've been in petshops many times,when they try to hard sell you animals,or animals they can't sell with amazing prices etc.Nearly been talked into all kinds of things.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2011 : 13:08:00
LOL - in my house there is just space in the corner for me ...
boomslang Posted - 25/10/2011 : 01:22:38
quote:

LOL ...same here ...

Got to be careful and pick well here,As space sucks here atm.I got 5 cham vivs,4 are 4ft high by 2/3 foot long,Another is 6 ft high etc.So thats like one room gone space wise lol,And ofc they can't be stacked.

So that only leaves space in corners etc for snake vivs lol.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2011 : 00:07:09
LOL ...same here ...
boomslang Posted - 24/10/2011 : 23:09:00
quote:

Ah, I have ALWAYS loved those - you should have bought the little guy - a cool snake!

Yeah but then everywhere i went,id end up bringing whole shops home :P
n/a Posted - 24/10/2011 : 21:02:28
Ah, I have ALWAYS loved those - you should have bought the little guy - a cool snake!
boomslang Posted - 24/10/2011 : 20:41:27
quote:

Wow - just googled a bit - speciality snakes and worth keeping to spread knowledge/husbandry needs ...hope you get some!

They had a Red Tailed Racer in a pet shop near me,nearly came home with that the other day.

Gonyosoma Oxycephala or red tailed racer,has a really cool blue tongue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvFIEy-WjTA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGvAj1Ahek&feature=related
n/a Posted - 24/10/2011 : 20:28:52
Wow - just googled a bit - speciality snakes and worth keeping to spread knowledge/husbandry needs ...hope you get some!
boomslang Posted - 24/10/2011 : 20:17:46
quote:

Wow those are nice - are they DWA?

Nope,they don't grow large at all really.Not very popular snakes atm,plus they can be abit aggressive

So yeah either one of them,or one of the rarer boa's. But not something that grows huge.
n/a Posted - 24/10/2011 : 19:17:27
Wow those are nice - are they DWA?
boomslang Posted - 24/10/2011 : 18:30:34
quote:
Here are a few more pics of Ziska, just to tempt you into getting a gopher snake -
Hahaha She's a very pretty snake,But my next snake will be something rare or a mate for a snake i have atm.

or something like a water snake,blood python or a viper boa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCEhMnUcU8
n/a Posted - 24/10/2011 : 12:05:37
Sounds cool but very very fiddly ...I'd love to keep seahorses and angelfish (NOT necessarily together, lol) but know my limitations ...

Here are a few more pics of Ziska, just to tempt you into getting a gopher snake -

Basking on her 'hot rocks' - sea pebbles under ir lamp

She knows when it's feeding day and is ready and waiting

These last two pics happened so fast I was lucky to get them. One large mouse and 'afters' of rat fluff, which she didn't let me photograph.

Their toilet habits are halfway between corns and royals - usually she goes once a week but sometimes she saves it all up for a while and has a grand splurge ...makes life interesting lol
boomslang Posted - 23/10/2011 : 19:37:21
quote:

Oh boy, tell me about it ...aquarium equipment ...hate it!

The daft thing is, I got into aquariums when all the time what I really wanted was snakes ...I'd go along to the exotics shop for aquarium stuff just as an excuse to look at the snakes ...eventually I saw the light lol. Mind you, despite once halfheartedly deciding to sell them and changing my mind, I do love my weather loach ...because they're like snakes ...

If you can't removed said water feature,cleaning it is 100 times harder,my one took hours to clean out and there was always **** still left someplace.

Anyway water features within vivs,need to be done on the scale of what the frog keepers do.But still love to have a water snake with a natural setup.

My father used to keep sea aquarium stuff,like coral etc was way to much work for my liking.plus stuff always used to die.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000