The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Funny Feeding Tale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 16/12/2011 : 20:11:46
Gimli (Son Of Gloin)

I got him last Saturday and have worried ever since as he would just take 4 small crickets or 2 medium a day.
This morning I placed a small cricket on the log in front of him, and Gimli totally ignored it, so while I waited for him I decided to throw some greens in with the hoppers, of course one jumped out making me squeal >>I hate jumpy insects lol
So next I placed the tub inside the viv to feed them and Gimli the little monster leapt off the log and ran to the tub, he pounced at the sides everytime a hopper hopped..so taking the lid off 4 jumped out and he gobbled them all.

Then tonight he ate 6 small mealworms, he was looking for more but i'm not sure how many a baby should have..probably 0

So i'm relieved that he ate a reasonable amount today :)
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JanieW Posted - 31/12/2011 : 10:49:11
Right Dubia roaches next then lol he seems to be afraid of big insects..thanks guys specially if you can breed your own colony
reptilemadd Posted - 31/12/2011 : 10:35:36
I have just had to get rid of at least a thousand of the bloody things lol, it takes a while but once they are up and running they breed like wild fire. but they are amazing creatures in their own right enjoy...
blackskull Posted - 31/12/2011 : 09:46:57
or norma loves those dubia roaches, so much so that we have decided to start a colony. just need to pull my finger out and get the heating sorted in the box, they are in a tub on top of one of my vivs at the mo
reptilemadd Posted - 30/12/2011 : 20:01:19
True Bob wax worms are lizard crack lol but to many of those are worse than meal worms lol, and no Janie roaches aren't anything to do with hoppers, and it was dubias that I ment. Yes if there's one thing I can say with confidence it's that if you hand feed a beardie they get very very lazy lmao. But butterworms are another great food but like you say just to damned expensive
JanieW Posted - 30/12/2011 : 18:22:27
Thanks Bob,

Dubia Roaches..worth a try:)

I think the warning for hand feeding is that Beardies are notoriously lazy, and they won't catch their own food ( can believe that lol)..he goes crazy for meal worms..but they aren't a staple diet
Lotabob Posted - 30/12/2011 : 18:12:59
Wouldn't know why you wouldn't hand feed, other than potential accidental bites. You want to try wax worms they are lizard crack, my crestie who is mainly a fruity goo eater (or should be, stubborn thing wont eat it very well) goes bananas for wax worm oh and I have a colony of Dubia roaches that he enjoys crunching.
n/a Posted - 30/12/2011 : 16:53:53
LOL - all the best people are ...
JanieW Posted - 30/12/2011 : 16:01:48
Hiya Reptilemadd,
OOps Butterworms, not Bloodworms :)
I think Cockroaches would be too big..he's only 6 or 7 weeks old..less hoppers are young roaches.

lol Bats, the guy in the pet shop said 'Under No Circumstances ever handfeed" bit bloody late now he waits. Devoted yes..Insane most assuredly!
reptilemadd Posted - 30/12/2011 : 15:51:08
Hi Janie as far as I know blood worms are no good for a beardie I would suggest looking into that one, if you have and they're ok I apologise lol, Meal Worms won't cause impaction in fact their had shells are good for them as they help clean a beardies teeth, the only problem with them is if you feed them a lot over time they will cause fatty deposits on Gimlis liver which in turn could cause health problems, as can silk worms if fed to much. Have you tried cockraoches? good for beardies in every way lol.

Sorry for the negatives but I hope the info helps.
n/a Posted - 30/12/2011 : 15:32:12
You mean like these critters???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=IIcxI0F62ik

Bloody hell! £11 for 50???

Are you quite sure Sir wouldn't prefer caviar?

You are a very devoted lizard keeper (and he's obviously a very dear lizard!)
JanieW Posted - 30/12/2011 : 15:11:46
He's spoiled rotten and he'll cost me a fortune to feed!

He looks at Crickets, head cocked with disdain.
Hoppers he'll eat a couple.
Silkworms not overly impressed but will eat a couple if I hold em for the little Sir lol
Mealworms he goes mad for but they have a hard shell and can cause impaction..so only gets 4 tiny worms.

What he loves best is bloodworms..he leapt down to take the one I placed in his dish..great you might think and sure except I bought 50 and they cost me £11 with postage..
n/a Posted - 17/12/2011 : 15:28:48
Aww bless him! Don't know anything about beardies or how much they should eat but he sounds a right little character!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000