The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 how to treat a small cut (corn snake)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mystra Posted - 23/12/2011 : 20:56:45
Sanchez had the teeniest bit of retained tail shed (less than 1mm) so i let him do the rounds in a damp towel.

It came off but has left a tiny open cut right at the tip.. it's barely visable - but what should i do with it? Is it ok to clean it with salt water or anything else i might have knocking about the house?

He seems happy enough at the mo doing his climbing rounds lol i worry he doesn't get enough exercise as he is bone idle - and yes i've checked on him at all hours and he really is lazy lol!!

Thinking gives his wound chance to dry up a bit before putting him back in his rub.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mystra Posted - 24/12/2011 : 12:03:39
just had a quick look in at Mr Happy's tail - all looks fine and has just gone slightly darker.. guess it's healing up ok :) switched him to kitchen roll for a few days too
mystra Posted - 24/12/2011 : 00:23:25
quote:
Originally posted by GMac

keep it clean and dry, try and use kitchen paper as a substrate to prevent damaging it any more. And as the others have said tamodine to help heal and prevent any infections seen as its at the business end ;)

so true XD

eek hes already back in on his usual megazorb :( didn't think (idiot me!) he's settled in... so i might just check on it in the morning see how it looks... and change substrate then... don't want him grumping and flicking his tail even more... lazy boy does not want to ever be disturb hehe
GMac Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:04:24
keep it clean and dry, try and use kitchen paper as a substrate to prevent damaging it any more. And as the others have said tamodine to help heal and prevent any infections seen as its at the business end ;)
mystra Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:43:14
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Oh poor old Sanchez - yes, salt water or as Bob says Tamodine, as plain iodine can irritate. My favourite remedy is tincture of hypercal -

https://www.tessajordan.co.uk/Shop/Homeopathic-Remedies.aspx

I first used it on a cat with a septic injury and it was literally a lifesaver, but not many people have got this in their bathroom cupboard. Good stuff though and lasts for years.

Hoping it will soon heal by itself though. All the best.

ooh that stuff looks good too, if i get stuck (vets might not be open chrimbo eve :S) i can pop to holland and barratt as they might have that... even if it does mean braving the dreaded shopping centre!!!

mystra Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:40:21
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/vetark-tamodine-wound-cleanser-50ml.html

Our old friends SPS ...but surely a local vet would stock it or something similar? I've found vets are usually very friendly and will sell you stuff like this over the counter. All the best.

haha, good old SPS! i'll ask round the vets tomorrow, hopefully the one of the bottom of the road may stock it, despite being a non-reptile vets.. if not i shall be hopping on the bus to the proper one! I was hoping for a nice hibernation day tomorrow... but at least the vets wont be busy like the shops etc so i don't mind haha
n/a Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:35:19
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/vetark-tamodine-wound-cleanser-50ml.html

Our old friends SPS ...but surely a local vet would stock it or something similar? I've found vets are usually very friendly and will sell you stuff like this over the counter. All the best.
mystra Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:25:43
cool, yeah i'm not really sure what happened, perhaps our old towel was too rough (its really old and rough!) and it just pulled too hard? he's just tried to run off and climb into one of the new vivs still packaged up... meaning i had to unpack it lol... think that was a hint to build more vivs!

On closer inspection (he's holding still now) it looks like a scale may have come off :s he was thrashing around before (as he usually does when he first comes out) so perhaps he caught it on something before i even went into the bit of retained shed :s

It looks clean though... where can i get tamidine from? just in case it does turn funny... esp over xmas eek
n/a Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:14:24
Oh poor old Sanchez - yes, salt water or as Bob says Tamodine, as plain iodine can irritate. My favourite remedy is tincture of hypercal -

https://www.tessajordan.co.uk/Shop/Homeopathic-Remedies.aspx

I first used it on a cat with a septic injury and it was literally a lifesaver, but not many people have got this in their bathroom cupboard. Good stuff though and lasts for years.

Hoping it will soon heal by itself though. All the best.
Lotabob Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:02:13
I'd just leave it, not sure how the cut could have been caused from a retained shed but it has. If its an open wound a bit of tamodine to clean it might be a good idea but personally I'd just leave it and keep an eye on it until the next shed, if it starts to look worse tamodine it but it should heal all on its own.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000