The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 SPIDER!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 04/01/2012 : 14:57:00
as much im not a fan of spiders ive been getting interested in them after seeing various posts on here(lotabob) anyway on sunday i should be getting a 15 yr old chilean rose trantula + setup from a friend who no longer has time for her.
should be a good way to conquer my slight fear of spiders
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 05/01/2012 : 00:46:35
I have mine on a heat mat that's running 30oC but the tub is deep and on a coater so its not that hot at ground level but it can burrow down for heat but it doesn't. 30oC is a bit hot for a chilean, and on top of your viv it will likely cook. I tested this on my Royals viv and it was about 35oC, even higher if the fat monster sits on his probes and the bulb goes full blast. You'd be better off on a heat source you can control but if your house is 25oC then you won't need anything. I change water every day or 3, it depends on their mood too, if they are flighty and looking to escape i leave it. Never seen any of them drink ever so its only a cleanliness thing rather than they are always thirsty thing.
chrisc Posted - 04/01/2012 : 20:40:14
yes i did read about them flicking hairs an to use a brush to move them. will probly get some specks if i get brave enough to handle it anyway.
what do you use as substrate? read all different things, soil/sand mix, coconut husk etc.
the setup comes with a mat but was thinking of putting the box ontop of the hot end of a viv thats got a ceramic bulb heating it as the top is always warm.
read their temps should be 24-30c ish an my room is usually 25c ish.
also how often do you change their water?
Lotabob Posted - 04/01/2012 : 20:31:05
Woohoo.. Good choice, adults are easier to deal with as they are bigger and a bit slower. Just be aware with Chileans you really dont have to worry about the fang end, they rarely bite and if they do its not that bad, the thing you have to watch is them kicking urticating hairs at you. Not something you want in your eyes. If you are worried wear goggles but definitely close your eyes and move away from that area if you see them do it. I've never had the pleasure of this but its their primary defence response. I was planning on getting some protective glasses for when they have to be moved out of their enclosure etc (mainly for my Salmon Pink that are keen little flickers) but so far haven't seen this behaviour at all. Oh and buy a small artists paint brush, they are brill for making them move forwards without touching them with anything that could damage them.
chrisc Posted - 04/01/2012 : 18:18:22
im kind or nervous and exited at the same time
n/a Posted - 04/01/2012 : 16:33:29
Congrats, she should be a big lass - can't wait to see pics.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000