The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Arghh Crickets freaking me out!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:14:52
I buy a 500 small/medium silent crickets every week on ebay..and Gimli leaps down as soon as I put a tub in.
I think some escaped, you hear a loud chirruping every night and today I have seen and battered three moths.

I am absolutely petrified of all flying insects, so i'm constantly on the lookout lol
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JanieW Posted - 16/03/2012 : 07:51:49
I saw a starter colony of dubia roaches on ebay..about £20 what else do I need to breed roaches for Gimli? Its getting expensive buying a tub of 500 every week.
n/a Posted - 15/03/2012 : 23:00:48
Errrm Bob, I have kept and observed HUGE crix ...the guys have 2 little spikes on their backside, the girls have huge childbearing hips and one huge spike on their bottoms (the ovipositor) and if these guys get free they WILL lay eggs and the eggs WILL hatch in almost any circs in the average house ...and they can live on next to nothing too - my crix used to chew on bog roll inners. I never gave my crix many opportunities to reproduce but the buggers did ...crix are survivors!
JanieW Posted - 15/03/2012 : 22:51:23
I havn't tried Dubia roaches yet..but i'll see if I can find some to buy.

Your 500 moths reminded me of a funny story.

Years ago my dad worked in a lab and he and a professor had acquired some rare african caterillars or pupae(sp)They kept them in a heated tank and waited patiently for the butterflies to emerge. He wasn't at home the day they appeared, but my brother was..when they all started to flutter he opened the lid and stood amid a room full of flying butterflies with tea towel swiping them down. My mum apparantly saw what was going on and screamed at him lolol
Don't think any survived the attack lol
JanieW Posted - 15/03/2012 : 22:43:35
No more cats in this house, not since the Burmese was let out and never seen again..plus I have an African Grey :)

It survived the cup, but I don't care..insects single me out..hate em!
Lotabob Posted - 15/03/2012 : 22:42:01
Unless you have a full adult female escape (they have 3 pointy things on their bum, boys have 2) with some boys to service her and a sandy environment to lay the eggs and a food supply so they dont die then really you dont have much to worry about the odd one escaping. If they are only little then just whack em one, they are so fragile you could graze them and still kill them stone dead.

Have you tried dubia roaches, they dont jump or climb, I have a big colony of them, they eat bug grub and left over fruit and live in a celebrations tub. I also have meal worms and wax worms too again just waiting for the colony to get a bit bigger before I start harvesting them. I tried to establish a silk worm colony but they were so delicate and all ended up dead. If you dont do jumping bugs then these are probably a good option.

Oh and I'l have to get pictures of my wax worm tubs when the next cycle of moths arrive, its amazing what 500 moths looks like all in the same place.
n/a Posted - 15/03/2012 : 22:24:04
You put a cup over a crick and left it for a week??? Sorry but it would have been kinder to squish it straight away.

If crix escape they will get into the fabric of the house and breed; you might end up having to use Ardap or similar to exterminate them.

I confess I adore creepy crawlies and used to keep crix for their chirping, but if you hate the things, might be best to use locusts, who won't take a nip at Gimli like loose crix will, and who will be easier to locate and squish if they escape.

Moths are nothing to do with crix, but have seen funny grub things crawling round in the crick box, which I suppose may turn into moths ....

Ohh dear, love moths too!
richard v Posted - 15/03/2012 : 22:20:07
You need to get yourself a cat they are brilliant
bug catchers
JanieW Posted - 15/03/2012 : 22:01:52
*shivers* You talking about them gives me the eebies lol
I had a batch of larger hoppers and one leapt out of the viv onto my daughter, she screamed and scarpered. I couldn't pick it up so shoved a cup over it. It stayed there a week til she knocked the cup over..so I hoovered it up, and blocked the tube with a cloth lol

I saw one on the sofa with me earlier, and its still down here somewhere, but the moths die on sight..I hate them!

So Richard, there's a cricket under the sofa..help!!!
richard v Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:50:28
I use to have the same problem years ago when I
still lived at home, with my mum she would shout up the stairs
Richard there's crickets in the kitchen there going to lay eggs and we
will be infested get them out of the house.
I use to try and calm her down and tell her to stop over reacting but it never worked.
I would just have to hunt through the kitchen and generally pretend I found it and put it outside.
I still can not work out how they would get downstairs though.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000