The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 A change of morph???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 20:33:23
If you've read about my corn snake, Cy, before, you might remember that I wasn't really planning on another snake, but I bought her in case nobody else would, because she only has one eye (full name Cyclops.) Her left eye socket just never developed; that side of her head is flattened, with just scales and markings. Her right eye is normal.

I bought her as a Miami phase corn, and as a hatchling she was pretty enough - buff coloured with deep red brown markings - the colour shoe polish makers call 'oxblood'.

She was a poor eater - her supplier thought because of that missing eye. I was inclined to be sceptical - surely a snake would rely more on smell than sight, but ...she likes to eat in a light place, and tilts her one eye towards the mouse ...perhaps I should have provided her with a magnifying glass, because, although she's two now, she's been such a chancy eater and stayed such a small snake, that until the last couple of feeds she's only eaten pinkies and fuzzies. It was a proud day when she took her first small mouse, then she had a shed (complete with its one eyecap) and a few days ago ate another small mouse.

Tonight she was out, staring at me with her good eye. There was a mess to clear up and Cy took as much interest as a normal corn, coming over to see what I was doing. Mind you she used to do that when I gave her her mouse. She'd ignore the mouse, fix her one eye on me and come cruising across to say hello. Another behaviour I sometimes noticed was a strange head bobbing as she examined her mouse before eating.

Tonight she seemed to want to come out, poking her head out of the window. I curled a hand round her (she is much less jumpy than the average small corn; even as a hatchling, perhaps because of that blind side, or just a naturally placid temperament; I don't know.) She explored my hand and I saw it again, the slight bobbing movement of the head, and a weaving from side to side, very like a spider royal head wobble. In view of her lately increased growth and eating, and the long term presence of this tremor, I'm convinced that it's nothing sinister, but a coping mechanism because of that absent eye. (She certainly doesn't corkscrew or stargaze or anything like that.)

But what did amaze me was the colour of her after her last shed. Off to google. No way is she a Miami. The orange background, the red saddles outlined in black. She's an Okeetee!

I always wanted an Okeetee corn ...

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 21/03/2012 : 20:04:27
Nope - nothing like Buffy.
n/a Posted - 21/03/2012 : 00:06:42
Well, no. The pic is rubbish, can't get any better, and Bob, you thought that pic of her as a hatchling was like a rootbeer - you can see she's not like a Carolina or 'brown' corn (as the supplier described Buffy.)

The first corn I got was Buffy, a Carolina, and Cy is totally different, was different from the start.

Ohh boy, can see me getting these two guys out tomorrow to compare side by side.

Cy has always been totally different in colouration from Buffy - and I hung over these snakes from the minute I got them, observing every tiny detail - they were my first snakes.

Watch this space tomorrow.

ps not that it matters, Miami, Okeetee whatever, as Cy is Cy, MY snake lol!
GMac Posted - 20/03/2012 : 23:53:07
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

OK thats a better one. I would say she is a Carolina or classic cornsnake, I dont like the term normal. Too orange in the background to be a Miami and the black banding isn't thick like an okeetee. That just my opinion anyway.

Is mine too ;)

Do like Cy cracking looker
Lotabob Posted - 20/03/2012 : 23:49:30
OK thats a better one. I would say she is a Carolina or classic cornsnake, I dont like the term normal. Too orange in the background to be a Miami and the black banding isn't thick like an okeetee. That just my opinion anyway.

I know what you mean, Spot is putting away large mice once a week and the mess I get back out is just phenomenal. Saying that Hal is on the smallest pinkies I've ever sen and his poops absolutley stink and they could fit on a pin head lol, and he bites when you clean it up, its a thankless task looking after these animals its a good job we get satisfaction from it without their gratitude.
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 23:13:15
Aaaaand ...do you see what I see in top right hand corner?

Oh yes - another mess. Definitely a small snake in good working order.

Corn owning = full time lavatory attendant ...
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 22:56:23
Thanks Bob - yes, she's always been a pretty one (though so are all corns lol.)

Just been and taken quick pic of her but not sure how much detail you can make out ...anyway, here she is -

Lotabob Posted - 20/03/2012 : 22:18:27
Looks almost like a rootbeer. A very nice marked snake whatever it is.
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:10:43
Lol - my camerawork is terrible, but if I can get her to come out again like she did tonight, I'm going to try and video her. (But you know snakes never perform to order.)

This is a pic of when she was a hatchling, but she looks totally different after 2 years.

Lotabob Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:07:38
Yep its not true until its captured in a photograph.
GMac Posted - 20/03/2012 : 20:48:57
photos :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000