The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Growing a snake fast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 10/04/2012 : 14:25:00
I see too often that its good to see their snake grow quickly, and gaining weight at incredible rates. While it may look impressive, long term it may be causing harm.
By overfeeding that could be caused by feeding too often or prey items that are too large.
Most know that I am keeping my Royal and Boa on mice until 1 yr of age and both are growing nicely.
I am not posting this to scare folk, I am posting because I want snake keepers to be aware of the risks of growth that is too fast.

Overfeeding should be avoided as the snake’s growth rate will be unnaturally fast, and this can reduce life expectancy.
www.boa-care.com/boa-constrictor-care-sheet/
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 10/04/2012 : 21:43:46
Its common knowledge that overfeeding is bad for snakes its bad for everything. This forum has well documented guidelines on feeding amounts and frequency. Being amazed at how fast snakes grow is just that, an observation it is not a race or an encouragement to make them as big as possible as quick as possible.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 10/04/2012 : 16:49:57
To be honest, this is a universal trait amongst any kept pet, in my opinion. All domesticated or captive bred "pets" are fed with a far greater degree of frequency and quantity than in the wild, where feeding would be opportunistic and somewhat random, rather than clockwork.

Take fish, for example - the "feeding instructions" on the back of my pot of fish food states "feed twice a day". Fish are dumb, they will eat until they burst. Feeding twice a day will lead to a myriad of health problems, and ultimately, premature death. I feed mine twice a week, if they are lucky, and have far greater survival rates now than I did when I was new to keeping fancy fish - and healthier looking too!

Having a supply of food "on tap", as it were, is a luxury that pets have in life; they have to deal with the stress of being kept captive, so I think the lack of stress regarding availability of food is a luxury I think they earn - and I'm not going to feel guilty about it, so long as they are not being fattened up for my gain.
JanieW Posted - 10/04/2012 : 15:49:50
The link I posted was Boas, but the same is true for any snake :)
Kelfezond Posted - 10/04/2012 : 15:33:45
Wrong section Janie :) That care sheets for boa's you're in the royal pytohn health section.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000