The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 bearded dragon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pythonwizard Posted - 06/05/2012 : 19:09:18
hi all havent been on her lately and my auntie is thinking on getting bearded dragon for her son who is 5. I myself dont no much about them because I have only two royals i was wondering if any one one on her would tell my on there care and setup

out of curiosity which is easyier to look after? (ROYALS OR bearded dragon)

and which is cheaper?

thanks
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MarknSarah Posted - 08/05/2012 : 09:26:52
I use R80 reflector bulbs from asda,£3.99 for 5 or 6 i think??...considering a so called `basking` light is £9.99 from a proper reptile shop, i have mine set with a Dimmer Habistat which i leave on 30c and the probe in the middle of the viv so it pretty much equals out the hot and cold side,i have 2 digital thermometers and 2 stick on ones, i have 2 vivs, they have one of each in there vivs digital by the basking spot as that is the most important side
Lotabob Posted - 07/05/2012 : 22:04:51
If they are clear glass and have a reflective surface they are not included in the ban (yet) or thats what I gpt from reading the rules etc for this ban.
reptilemadd Posted - 07/05/2012 : 18:49:25
Yeah Bob if you just buy the so called reptile basking bulbs, the one's that don't give off any Uv they cost between £3.99 and £5.99 depending where you buy them from and you can get four R80 75-100w bulbs for between £1.50 and £3.99 depending where you buy them, making each bulb about 35p-£1.00, the only problem being these new bloody Eu rules that has gotten them banned so they are being phased out.
Lotabob Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:08:25
100% cheaper bulbs. I'll buy them all. LOL. I must say I've developed quite the soft spot for bearded dragons. They appear quite clever and full of character. As above though they really don't need bathing.
reptilemadd Posted - 07/05/2012 : 13:44:36
Unless a beardie is covered in poo you DO NOT NEED TO BATHE them at all they come from a particularly arid part of the world so get all there water needs from the food they eat, and although I give mine a water bowl every day I haven't seen him drink from it since he was a baby....as for a basking bulb an R80 from any supermarket or DIY chain will work just as well and are 100% cheaper than buying a specific reptile one but with an R80 spot light you would need a seperate UV bulb of at least 10% anything less is not strong enough for them....
Pythonwizard Posted - 06/05/2012 : 22:56:38
Thnks
blackskull Posted - 06/05/2012 : 21:20:40
this is what we recently bought for the g/f's beardy

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/arcadia-electronic-t5-controller-24-39w-ace1u5.html
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/arcadia-t5-d3-reptile-lamp-39w-34in.html
http://www.valuevivariums.co.uk/vivarium-vivexotic-ex48-beech-48x24-inch-p-4440.html

we also have (from previous set up) komodo 150w basking spot bulb which is connected to a dimmer stat

a 150w cearmic connected to a pulse stat, this is for night temps as our house is rather cool at night

2 digi thermometers

2 bulb guards

plus decor and hides
Pythonwizard Posted - 06/05/2012 : 21:05:22
could u help me with the spotlight what type would it be same with all the heating and what stat would u need any links would be good like surrypets or blue lizard or ebay
MarknSarah Posted - 06/05/2012 : 20:43:59
I have 2 beardies and i love them!! no snake as yet :( , Beardies as said above you need to have fresh salad and greens avaliable all day i change mine twice a day as it wilts,you then have the crickets/locusts etc that you also have to feed and water and keep warm,not hard to, i keep my cricket box ontop of the vivs basking spot,you have to bath them once a week , they are not hard to look after at all i dont think , and when you let them out for a run well that is very entertaining
JanieW Posted - 06/05/2012 : 20:23:18
You are welcome Py :)

Either make a great pet, that pic is Gimli being the nosey neighbour, peering out the window LOL
Pythonwizard Posted - 06/05/2012 : 20:20:08
thanks janie
JanieW Posted - 06/05/2012 : 19:54:44
Hi Python,

I have Gimli my beadie in a 48" viv..a 100w spotlight and a uv strip light. Also a large bamboo root so it provides a basking spot about 5" below the spot.

Which is easier to care for, i'd have to say a Royal as I had countless headaches worrying as he wouldn't eat many crickets.

Royals are also cheaper, as Beardies need green leaf veg daily plus crickets, locusts or similar.
I started my own Dubia Roach colony and he loves them.

Beardies are fun and have loads of charactor..so either make a great pet.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000