The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 2 years in and still amazed.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 20/06/2012 : 23:32:29
Absolutely amazed by this, it might not sound much but I'll recap the story and you can decide for yourselves.

I was feeding Pandora today, she was on the floor of her viv (Anyone who has seen our viv knows we have a floor and then a large platform to climb up on where they spend most of their time) and I took the chance while Pilkington was in a snake bag and she was curled up digesting a rat to clean the water bowl out, it's fixed into the viv so I have to do it inside the cage.
I finish cleaning it and get a hose from the garden to fill it up with (it would take many buckets from the tap so this way is quicker).
The hose is turned on in the garden so I have to get somebody else to go and turn it off when it's done, it takes 5 minutes or so and apparently my family are too inpatient to wait for the tank to fill so they disappear and expect me to call them.
Anyway the water is gushing and then out the corner of my eye I noticed Pandora moving quickly, far too quickly for a boa that's just finished a meal. Then she pops out from over a log and comes straight for me, I freak out a little as she's moving VERY fast- just like she's seen a rat, it occurs to me I've not yet washed my hands from handling the rat and she might be a little hungry and coming for second, but I've got a hose pipe flooding the tank and if I move out her way I'm going to soak the living room with water.
So get bitten or soak my living room? She's a big snake, hard choice! But in the end I decide to just take it like a man, I call for the tap to be turned off a.s.a.p and get ready to feel a nasty strike. But nothing happens, then she moves - still zooming - past me, and up! Up onto the platform, up onto the rock wall face and then up trying to climb the ceiling! She's moving faster than I've ever seen a recently fed 8ft snake move. And it dawns on me it's the water, I had just watched Austin Steven's searching for a giant anaconda and during the episode he's in the amazon and finds a boa constrictor up a tree above a lake, he explains that at certain times of the year the place floods upto 150 miles in every direction! And no doubt in rainforests and such where boa's live flash floods occur a lot, and even though Pandora has been Captive bred and has never even seen running water- she knows that as soon as water is gushing like that it's time to find high ground.

Absolutely amazing :)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
austin_89 Posted - 21/06/2012 : 08:09:14
It's amazing how their instinct kicks in and that would make a great video.

Was that the one where he jumps/falls out the tree with the boa..?
Kelfezond Posted - 20/06/2012 : 23:52:30
Oh aye, first thing I said after it was finished was "I think I know what my next video will show" lol
Lotabob Posted - 20/06/2012 : 23:51:37
And you have a subject for your next video, instinct!

I bet such a big lass shifting around like that was both amazing and slightly unnerving.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000