The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Cresties vs Beardies?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 24/06/2012 : 10:42:56
So I was planning on getting a Beardie a while back. I never got round to it and to be honest the main reason was 'cause I didn't feel confident enough that I could look after one : / It's silly really but I always feel that I'm not good enough and then put myself down. And it works.

Yesterday my mam caught hereself looking on Ebay (hence the Giant Hissers in my other post) and she was asking me why I've never thought about a Gecko instead. I'd said that I had and went on to tell her about all the Mrs Doyle impersonaters on here who like to egg everyone on to get a Crestie ; ) I said that actually I love the idea of having a Crestie 'cause they just seem so bloody canny!

So anyway, long story short I'm now thinking I'd like a Crestie instead as they don't seem to come with quite as long list of care instructions. There are a few things that I like them for and in a way they may be a better option for me at the minuet. Shortly I'm going to be starting my BA degree in Creative Arts and that's a nine year course. So I may not have as much of myself to share between everyone and I know Beardies can be big attention seekers. But a little Crestie might be a little less clingy? I'm not saying I have no time, just that I might not have enough time for such an attention seeker right now.

So anyway, what better place to ask about Cresties than on here, right? You all seem to have one!

I'd just like to know how they compare to Beardies really. Are they as attention seeking? Scratching the glass to get out all day etc. Do they need special care or just as much as a Beardie does? Lights, heating, food etc. Are they as friendly over time? They seem to be very friendly and that's one of the things I like about them : ) I don't mind giving time into taming, I think it can be half the fun.

And that sort of thing.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 30/06/2012 : 09:03:10
Thanks peoples : )

I use the plantation soil for my Giant Snails and have decided to use it for my new Giant Hissers too so I'm familiar with how it works. I know coconut fiber is the same to use.
I still have a bag full of orchid bark that was for Tig, and it's the big chip stuff (didn't want him swollowing the smaller chips). It's far too big for even an adult Crestie to swallow. Would that be OK to use?

I know not to use sand. I've also thought about using tiles, maybe with a pebble pattern or something like that, or sheets of sandpaper instead. I'd like to use something natural really, but as a last option would either of those be OK?

Even in the winter my house is just as warm. If not a little bit warmer at times. But I'd always have a heatmat at hand just in case.

Laws: that is a very cheaky looking little face ; )
Lotabob Posted - 29/06/2012 : 21:19:16
Coco brick is used because when its properly prepared it is easily passed should it be accidentally ingested (its why its also used for frogs etc) but as bugs are a treat and not a diet a little bit of soft, easily passed fibre is a far better option to larger objects such as bark or chips, stones etc that will 100% impact and likely kill the crestie if ingested. If you feed your crestie enough bugs to get impacted its as likely to be the bugs causing it as it is the fibre. The gecko diet is their staple diet and bugs should be a weekly treat or even not at all.

As for their eyesight, they see very well in low light and have their eyes facing forward a touch so have good depth perception too though they do get a bit over eager and launch themselves mouth open at their prey and end up with prey + whatever its on (finger, fibre etc). Its not impossible that impaction can happen but the only way to prevent it is a bare floor and who wants that.
Mikeyboy1992 Posted - 28/06/2012 : 18:34:31
This as been known to happen but cresties usually hunt whilst in the trees in the rainforest or on the branches because they go for the insects that climb and walk past them. On the forest floor they are more likely to be eaten by something bigger so they tend to stay high up. The coco fibre is only used to help with humidity and hold moisture, it is adviseable, as I said in my last post, to make sure all the fibre is covered in a half inch layer of orchid bark. This makes it easier to clean and easier for the crestie to determine what is food and what isnt. Also they wont be able to swallow it.
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

I hate to be the naysayer here, but I am mildly concerned about the people who are suggesting to you to use the coco fiber bricks for the substrate. Cresties like to hunt for bugs, and their vision is seriously crappy. It is EXTREMELY easy for them to mistake the coco fiber pieces for bugs and they are very likely to eat it. Small doses may not be harmful, but after a while if it continues, it is going to cause impaction and the death of your Crestie. Now I know that there are people who have kept their Cresties on coco fiber for years without any negative effect. All well and good and I consider them darned lucky. I, being a responsible pet owner, would not want to take the chance in possibly being the cause of my Crestie's death. These little guys do so much better on paper towel substrates, where they can not mistake the paper towel for a food item.

As to the heat issue, as long as your room stays 72-78F you will not need an additional heat source. With my Crestie, I never used a UTH until winter hit (I live in Utah, USA and the winters here are very cold). Once the temps dropped below 70F in the room, I would then stick a UTH on one side by the vines so that they could hang out there where it was warm if needed. Just so you know...these little guys do NOT do well in a high temperature setting and anything above 85F will stress and possibly kill your Crestie. A really great care sheet on Cresties can be found on Pangea's website here: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-care-sheet-en.html

Sorry to butt in, and I am in no way trying to put anyone here down for the way they care for their Crestie. I just wanted to provide you with a little info to help you make the best decision possible for your friend, should you decide to get one. I can definitely tell you that they are a truly awesome pet. I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had her. :)

IncurableFlirt Posted - 28/06/2012 : 18:23:13
I hate to be the naysayer here, but I am mildly concerned about the people who are suggesting to you to use the coco fiber bricks for the substrate. Cresties like to hunt for bugs, and their vision is seriously crappy. It is EXTREMELY easy for them to mistake the coco fiber pieces for bugs and they are very likely to eat it. Small doses may not be harmful, but after a while if it continues, it is going to cause impaction and the death of your Crestie. Now I know that there are people who have kept their Cresties on coco fiber for years without any negative effect. All well and good and I consider them darned lucky. I, being a responsible pet owner, would not want to take the chance in possibly being the cause of my Crestie's death. These little guys do so much better on paper towel substrates, where they can not mistake the paper towel for a food item.

As to the heat issue, as long as your room stays 72-78F you will not need an additional heat source. With my Crestie, I never used a UTH until winter hit (I live in Utah, USA and the winters here are very cold). Once the temps dropped below 70F in the room, I would then stick a UTH on one side by the vines so that they could hang out there where it was warm if needed. Just so you know...these little guys do NOT do well in a high temperature setting and anything above 85F will stress and possibly kill your Crestie. A really great care sheet on Cresties can be found on Pangea's website here: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-care-sheet-en.html

Sorry to butt in, and I am in no way trying to put anyone here down for the way they care for their Crestie. I just wanted to provide you with a little info to help you make the best decision possible for your friend, should you decide to get one. I can definitely tell you that they are a truly awesome pet. I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had her. :)
Mikeyboy1992 Posted - 28/06/2012 : 17:33:45
Cresties do make great pets. I have a little male myself. They dont seem to be great attention seekers, they just hang around doing their own thing and dont mind being handled. They do jump around a bit, like from your hand to someone elses or on to your top, but sometimes they take a leap of faith and land on the floor. Mine has done this a few times but doesn't seem bothered by it. He's such a little character. So far I havnt heard of any bites either. Im not actually 100% sure on teeth so thats probably why lol. But they are very easy to keep, Just refil a spray bottle everyday and lightly mist the inside of the tank. I find that the best substrate for them is a bottom layer of coco fibre which comes in bricks, you just add water to it in a bucket and it will expand. Whatever you have left can be kept in a carrier bag with no holes in and just tie a knot in it. It will last. Make that damp, dont soak it too much, and put a half inch layer in the tank and another half inch of orchid bark on top. I have a small piece of wood laying on the bottom with a half a cocnut hide incase he feels shy. I have a fake fine twisted round for climbing and some fake greenery. Most of the time I see him stuck to the glass anyway. For food, so far I have only used 3rd and 4th crickets and he has been totally fine. Also I have a little water dish and another dish which I put a blob of gecko jam in and a cube of mango which I mash up. Redo this every day or every other day. That is pretty much everything. Because they live in rain forests they need damp and humid conditions so heat lamps arent needed. Making things cheaper lol. But apart from all that, they are one of the easiest to keep. If you would like a picture of my crestie and the set up feel free to email or catch me on here and il do that for you. Good luck in the choice you make.
Laws Posted - 28/06/2012 : 16:59:24

"HAI"

Go crestie! they are really easy , we dont really handle charlie loads , however he is a weirdo and is terrible for stalking us in his tank which is next to my bed . Really easy mix the powder up and offer every other day and then u can chose to give live food if u like a few times a week but the powder stuff contains all they need despite making them grow slightly slower . Heat u can use the exo canopy and put a glo bulb in , but 72 sounds fine and then just suppliment the heat with the bulb in the winter .
BlueDragon Posted - 28/06/2012 : 10:57:41
See, it's the running of the lights that I'm worried about. I don't know how much it would cost is all. I wouldn't of thought it would be much, but my mam was the one who said that I probably couln't afford it (with everything else on the go too). I'm clueless as to how much these kinds of things cost and there'd be little chance of me understanding either, I think, with how stupid I am with numbers.

I like both Beardies and Cresties for different reasons. I like Cresties 'cause they're cute, they got the most gorgious smilley face and they like to walk over your hands and they stick to you and that's kinda funny... and they sing! I like Beardies 'cause you can seem to interact with them a bit more, they're cheaky and active and like to be with you, and some you can even take for walks outside with them on your shoulder. But this can turn into a bit of a problem with them becoming real attention seekers, and I'm not sure I'd have the time to be with a Beardie if they were as clingy as that. And that wouldn't be fair on him/her. Whereas a Crestie wouldn't be quite as clingy and would be happier to be by it's self for a while when I was busy or just tired and needed a sleep (which I often do).

I am torn between to two. I'm just reading up on both of them now and having a good think about it. Won't be for a while yet that I get either anyways, so plenty of time to choose ; )
JanieW Posted - 28/06/2012 : 10:17:17
I'm glad you like Gimli, Blue :)

Now back to your dilemma, firstly you need to think about what you want from a lizard. Do you want something to watch in the evenings, to play with and handle?
Something robust and eats Dubia Roaches as a staple diet?

If the answer is yes, then that's a Beadie.
Now to costs:

All you need is a 100w spotlight, and a UV Strip light..and a timer as lights and heating run on a 12hr cycle.
BlueDragon Posted - 28/06/2012 : 08:46:36
Yeah, I do love Beardies. Have wanted one for a long time now. But truth is that right now I'm not sure I could afford to run all the lighting etc that they need. And so I think that for now a Crestie might be a better choice for both me and him/her.
I don't mind if they hide. Tig hid all day but I still loved him (still do). Anyway, I have Hamsters and they're always sleeping!

Well at the minuet I have all kinds of sizes of Dubias, they're breeding like Rabbits. I could keep the larger ones for breeding, only giving Crestie the smaller ones. Plenty of babies knocking around.
The only reason I ask about the Dubias is 'cause I already have them so it would be easier 'cause there's already a big supply of them with me. I could still buy the odd tub of Crickets or Mealworms for variety.

JanieW, I love Gimli : 3
Unamed Posted - 27/06/2012 : 13:16:22
beardies are pretty cool. they require more specific care requirements though, such as uvb lighting and a larger enclosure but as you say, being diurnal always has its benefits. you will see them more etc etc.
JanieW Posted - 27/06/2012 : 13:03:28
Gimli the nosey neighbour

This is why I say go Beardie, you can do more with em..I like Cresties, but not as much :)
JanieW Posted - 27/06/2012 : 12:57:47
I'd definately go with a Beardie..they get big enough to let on the floor to roam supervised..and don't jump with little or no warning. Gimli sits on my shoulder while I do stuff for an hour or so..and he has never jumped off :)

Another bonus is they don't hide away during daylight, he's always tapping the glass or roaming his viv.
Unamed Posted - 27/06/2012 : 12:03:00
appropriate sized dubias will be fine. large ones can be a bit of a challenge but im sure an adult crestie could handle it. just ensure your not offering food items that the crestie cannot handle and you will be fine.

the usual feeders are also fine. crickets, mealworms (from time to time) the odd waxworm and locusts are good too.

variety is the spice of life. i personally liked the CGD made by sandfire superfoods. i used that alongside feeder insects and my guy was blooming.

also, those temps seem fine. just keep an eye on them if things get a bit cold thing of adding additional heat. also, keep the enclosure away from drafts and direct sunlight incase it heats up too much.
BlueDragon Posted - 27/06/2012 : 09:04:21
I put my digital themometer (that was Tig's for his viv) in the living room yesterday, just had it sitting on my keyboard, to check the temp in the room. And it stayed at 72. So presumably that would be fine for a Crestie without having extra heat? 'Cause he/she would be living in the living room.
To better that theory I've just brought my Giant Hissers home yesterday and they're in the kitchen with no heatmat 'cause they're home is also staying at 72 all on it's own (it's just a plastic tank for now, so nothing special). So seems the whole of the down stairs of my house is kept at that temp.

Yeah, been looking up food. I would propbably feed some live food with plenty of veg and some fruit 'cause there seems to be mixed veiws on the dry mixes you can get. Some people say they need it as a staple and some people say it's not very good for them. But a more natural diet of veg and insects seems a better choice anyway (and a cheaper one). I do still have my Dubia Roaches that I'm breeding as food, but I'm not sure if they'd be OK for a Crestie? I've read they're not good for them and I've read that they are. I've read they're packed full of protene so are really healthy... and I've read that they could kill a Crestie due to them choking on one. So again I'm a bit confused on that.
Unamed Posted - 26/06/2012 : 11:24:55
around 75f(24c) is ideal. 72F-80F would be ok. you do not want go above 86F (28-30c).

you should look into crested gecko diet. when i had my crestie i did a mixture of sometimes CGD and sometimes feeder insects for variety.

BlueDragon Posted - 26/06/2012 : 09:00:15
Is 72 too warm then? : /

Yeah, I'd get a digtal themometer like Tig had.

Don't think I'd bother with a light. I mean he/she would get light from the window anyway during the day. I'm guessing that would be enough, even with it just being a bit from the side. Plus I'd give him/her their vits 'n' calcium powder too.
Unamed Posted - 25/06/2012 : 13:45:15
Basically if your room is averaging around 24c you will not need additional heat. You will need an accurate thermometer to confirm this.

Uvb is most definately not needed as they are nocturnal.

You could argue that it may be some bit beneficial for them because of the d3 but you have to remember they would be hiding in dark shades during the day and venturing out at night. Thus, not absorbing much uvb radiation.
BlueDragon Posted - 25/06/2012 : 08:55:11
Thanks Lotabob : ) Sorry I must have missed you yesterday. Harley is a very cheaky looking little critter! I want a Harley too : 3

I do have one other question. I been reading up on them and it seems to be that a lot of people say that if they're kept in a warm room then they don't need additional heat. Now I have a sub-tropical aquarium which is not heated and it's kept at 72 just by being in the living room. I have to keep the house warm for me 'cause with me having M.E. I can't seem to keep my own temp very well for long. So with that in mind would I still need a heatmat? People seem to say not?
The lighting is a funny thing. It seems to be that some people say you need a UV and some people say you don't. That's a bit confusing. But seen as they're night-time-comey-outers then I can't really see why they'd need one. It's like giving a light to a Royal, surely?
Unamed Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:48:09
Their tail will only drop if you handle them rough or grab them and spook them etc.

It sounds like you've got your other answers already, anything else you want to know just ask
austin_89 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 15:34:39
I'd go cresties. I have 2 babies and theyre gorgeous and fun to have them out :D

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000