The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Hal is possibly sick!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 15/07/2012 : 22:16:14
My little Albino House Snake hasn't been himself for a week or so, tonight he is clicking/sneezing . The other concern I have is he isn't gaining any weight 3 grams in 4 months but now mission get Hal right again is kicking into gear.

I have checked his mouth and airways and they are clear from mucus and debris (if anyone doesn't know how to open a snake's mouth let me know and I shall film it next time I check probably tomorrow) so I can put RI and obstruction lower on the list of concerns. I have stripped out the Megazorb too as it could be a potential candidate for the cause of the sneezing, also I cant rule out it been shed related which is why I'm covering all bases. I have upped his temperatures by a degree as well (I have a degree available in the temp range). I am using a converted klip lock sandwich box to house him which is also going as I'm not happy with its airflow, I'm just escape proofing a RUB now as he is so little the not airtight lid is a massive escape risk.

Basically something is wrong with him, I dont consider it serious just yet rather something I am not doing right by him and I'm rolling into action all the knowledge I have gathered together in the 2 years of research to put it right so I will let you know what I do and any outcome. Wish me luck and any input is very much appreciated.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SteGore Posted - 23/07/2012 : 09:58:19
Good to hear he's doing well again. :)
Baobab Posted - 22/07/2012 : 22:08:14
Fantastic news, glad to hear he's fine.
Lotabob Posted - 22/07/2012 : 20:34:24
2 pinkies demolished this evening, I think he is fine
boomslang Posted - 22/07/2012 : 17:54:42
thats good news then
chrisc Posted - 22/07/2012 : 14:53:54
good to hear it was just shed related. aint they great at getting us worried
Lotabob Posted - 22/07/2012 : 14:50:33
Well Hal shed last night, he is back to normal and I resisted the urge to throttle him with the skin as he had retained the tail tip and I felt sorry for him.

On the positive side of this week it pushed me to address some things I wasn't entirely happy about with his setup.

Now to get him eating properly again and get a few more grams onto him.

It just goes to show, I have read up on RI's, I know that shedding snakes can sneeze/click, I know how to set up a snake but still when that first sneeze/click happened when I was holding him I still managed to freak out and think the worse.
Lotabob Posted - 18/07/2012 : 13:07:54
No I heard him clicking in his tub before I picked him up, its what made me check him. I have 3 possible explanations, the tub was too humid as airflow wasn't great, he is shedding and his nostrils went tight or the substrate was too dusty for him. Either way now he is OK again I will be seeing how things play outhe may shed in a day or two or start sneezing again when I put the substrate back. Should be easier to pinpoint now though.
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 11:02:32
Could it be that he was only "clicking" whilst being handled due to him breathing faster being held? Shy/Nervous reaction etc.
SteGore Posted - 17/07/2012 : 23:40:15
Good news.Glad to here he's perked up. :)
Lotabob Posted - 17/07/2012 : 23:22:29
DAY 3 - Moved into new 4 Litre RUB

I've got the humidity in the tub down to the rooms humidity, its like a sieve but its doing its thing, its 60% but its ridiculously humid at the moment here.

Anyway the good news is he has stopped clicking/sneezing and was back to his usual wiggly self today, big time, I could barely keep a hold of him which is how he normally is so I'm hoping that whatever it was its gone away. I also see a tiny bit of pearling on his head so it could have all just been shed related. If he shed in a few days I will strangle him with it for scaring me.
Lotabob Posted - 16/07/2012 : 21:49:01
DAY 2 - Only Clicking when head lower than body.

The clicking is less than it was yesterday not doing it all the time but been triggered by handling, specifically tilting head lower than the body and this is steering me to believe its an RI.

He has perked up a little bit, I have almost completed his new RUB just waiting for the escape proofing to dry (Stuffed the gaps in the lid with paper mache (wet toilet roll) when its dry I will put a layer of hot glue over it to seal it over. I have increased the size of the air holes in the tub I'm using which I am blaming for this (rather than me for using it).

All in all an improvement on yesterday.
SteGore Posted - 16/07/2012 : 08:44:29
Oh no.Good luck mate.Sounds like your doing all the right things.
Baobab Posted - 15/07/2012 : 23:23:36
Sorry to hear that Rob. Hope he gets better soon.
Lotabob Posted - 15/07/2012 : 22:23:49
DAY 1 - Clicking observed and no interest in feeding.

*Stripped and disinfected the tub, put in shredded kitchen roll as substrate substitute.

*Checked Hal over, opened his mouth to check for debris or mucus. All clear.

*As Hal is quite see through held upto light and checked his lung was clear. All Clear and his little heart was beating away.

*Increased his temperature up by one degree. (now 32oC).

I'm not too concerned at the moment, there is no other signs of the worrying sicknesses so for now its just minor adjustments I need to make but I shall keep a record for reference. Liek the tea towel idea, I was just getting ready to fill in all the lid gaps with hot glue on my RUB.
JanieW Posted - 15/07/2012 : 22:23:29
Rob, when I panicked over Ra and his atrocious shed, I took him to the vet and it turned out that he hadn't lost the old skin around his nose. That caused the clicking, and beneath his chin..reason he wouldn't eat.

I also took him back to Andrew to get eating..he said to place the snake in a small tup, increase the temp and offer a very warm mouse in the tub. It worked and now he's fine.

I do hope Hal improves soon, its worrying.
chrisc Posted - 15/07/2012 : 22:22:49
hopefully its shed related.
to stop my hoggy escaping the RUB i cut up a tea towel put the bits along the edges an trapped them with the lid

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000