The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Classifieds
 Herp Equipment
 Fibreglass vivs anyone????????????

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paulusworm Posted - 15/09/2009 : 00:14:40
O.k. Here goes. I've just woken up and jumped out of bed having had a eureka moment. If, and it is a very large if, I can get fibreglass vivs manufactured and realistically price them so as to make it worth my while would any of you lot be interested in buying them. I'm initially looking at 3'x2'x2' and 4'x2'x2' to start with and expanding to other sizes if it proves viable. Just to clarify. I am sounding the idea out and not taking orders just yet. Cheers .
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 17/09/2009 : 17:44:54
Ah well, you don't know until you try. Always worth looking into these things!
Paulusworm Posted - 17/09/2009 : 14:18:03
Sorry guys. I'm afraid the project is a no go . Been talking to my old employers and for them to build to a standard that I would be willing to sell, i.e. indestructable, would mean that any customers would be charge a fortune.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board
Paulusworm Posted - 16/09/2009 : 07:05:50
quote:
Originally posted by reptiles-ink

A couple of things about grp viv's is they will sag and some heating methods can be a problem.
Also if you do make them you will need to use food grade resin to prevent toxins.
I have some designs that will allow stacking and any size without sagging and also allowing any heating to be used without problems.
If I decide not to go into production then I will be able to advise you on design.

Agreed on the issues you have raised there but if the mat is layed correctly and the proper resins are used then none of that will be an issue. Very kind of you to offer help with the design but I've already got that side of things covered .
Blackecho Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:54:00
Erm, you could be right Dave.
reptiles-ink Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:42:36
Rhino's arent made from grp are they? I thought they were plastic.
A couple of things about grp viv's is they will sag and some heating methods can be a problem.
Also if you do make them you will need to use food grade resin to prevent toxins.
I have some designs that will allow stacking and any size without sagging and also allowing any heating to be used without problems.
If I decide not to go into production then I will be able to advise you on design.
Blackecho Posted - 15/09/2009 : 19:37:18
Some fibreglass vivs can look excellent, like these Rhino Vivs:

and these Boaphiles:

chris100575 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 19:27:21
It sounds like an interesting idea, but would be partly dependent on how it'll look in the living room. It does sounds like fibreglass would have advantages over wood, glad someone asked that question.
Paulusworm Posted - 15/09/2009 : 17:39:24
quote:
Originally posted by xautomaticflowersx

Sounds pretty interesting. In theory they would be lighter and less easy to break than glass, more hygeinic and better for high humidty than wood.
I don't know much about the sort of finish you can get with fibreglass though. Is it completely see-through, or slightly opaque? Or can it be coloured even? Haha... maybe not pink or purple, but beige or black or brown!

From what I can remember the sky's the limit with colours. If pink was wanted then I could probably do it .
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 15/09/2009 : 16:04:27
Sounds pretty interesting. In theory they would be lighter and less easy to break than glass, more hygeinic and better for high humidty than wood.
I don't know much about the sort of finish you can get with fibreglass though. Is it completely see-through, or slightly opaque? Or can it be coloured even? Haha... maybe not pink or purple, but beige or black or brown!
Paulusworm Posted - 15/09/2009 : 15:24:07
quote:
Originally posted by kimitree

Being new to this, can you tell me what the benefit would be of having fibreglass?

As BE has said wooden vivs rot eventually, I'm guessing they'd be more durable and light-weight to boot. Would they hold on to the heat better?

Thanks

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Lighter, stronger, more durable, easier to keep clean, no joins for nasties to hide in. The list of pros is pretty much endless. I'm still working on the construction side of things but in theory they should be far superior to wooden vivs for keeping the heat in. They do cost more than wooden vivs but will last much, much longer. I'm thinking of making a range that is modular so that, as long as the wall you are stacking them against is flat, you would be able to have any combination of vivs stacked in whatever way you want. Kinda like buying a kitchen from B&Q.
kimitree Posted - 15/09/2009 : 12:20:33
Being new to this, can you tell me what the benefit would be of having fibreglass?

As BE has said wooden vivs rot eventually, I'm guessing they'd be more durable and light-weight to boot. Would they hold on to the heat better?

Thanks
Blackecho Posted - 15/09/2009 : 06:38:43
I would if I didn't already have my wooden stacks. I'll definitely look into these when these eventually rot.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000