The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Snake rack assembly

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carlb1981 Posted - 19/08/2012 : 16:41:44
Right I've drawn up my plan for my snake rack and sourced the material to make it to size i want the only thing i need to do now is think of how to fix it together.
I will be using 15mm thick conti board and the unit will be approx 2100mm x 1000mm x 750mm once fixed together how would you guys that have made racks yourself recommend fixing panels together for strength as i will be putting 2 3ft vivs on top.

I will try posting my sketch so you get an idea of what its like
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
blackskull Posted - 20/08/2012 : 19:37:23
personally i wouldn't bother with dowels, screws alone will do the job.i have never made a unit/kitchen/wardrobe using dowels just screws. i would suggest routing the shelves into the middle partition as it will be awkward getting a drill in to pilot drill and screw it in place and just screw through the cheeks to secure the shelves on the outside.

you could screw the shelves to the cheeks then run some expanding glue in the routed slots, push the shelves in place than using sash cramps cramp it together until the glue cures. you can get expanding glue that sets at different speeds, 5 min, 30 min and 45 min. if you are doing it on your own go for one with a longer curing time so you have a bit more time then leave in cramps for a couple of hours

this is the way i would join it together
carlb1981 Posted - 20/08/2012 : 19:27:49
Id make a mess of it with a router lol i was thinking towels too
Baobab Posted - 20/08/2012 : 19:24:12
Dowels for strength, screws and glue to hold it together. Just but joint it for ease, unless you want to get fancy with the router.
blackskull Posted - 20/08/2012 : 19:15:01
plenty of screws lol
carlb1981 Posted - 19/08/2012 : 17:25:55
My sketch

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000