The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 First Viv!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BunkerGirl Posted - 11/04/2013 : 21:09:08
Hey Guys,

Well, it's finally real, I bought a viv. It's sitting in my lounge looking far too empty but I'm well happy. It was a total bargain too! It's a home made beech 3ft jobby but it's got a new ceramic bulb and fitting and a Habistat Pulse Proportional Thermostat for £60. Not bad! It was a bit... loved though...

So I stuck a background on it, which was awful by the way and I think the edges are naff. It was murder to get right!

And today was my day off so I decided to make salt dough hides. And I'm really happy with them!!

[/URL]

I'm really lazy so I microwaved them instead of baking them in the oven. So they went a bit... bubbly. But after some Art Attack style painting they look pretty good. Took about half an hour! Just my yacht varnish to get here now.

I'm just chuffed! Need a snake now, grrrr finances!!!

Getting there... my OH even bought me a rubber snake to make me feel better!

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 17/04/2013 : 15:39:37
Haha this time,take your time hehe.
BunkerGirl Posted - 17/04/2013 : 13:01:30
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

Most likely cuz you never baked them in the oven

I'm pretty sure it was my eagerness to paint them instead of letting them dry out properly. I'm giving it one more go if these fail if not then it's the polystyrene & grout avenue.
boomslang Posted - 16/04/2013 : 22:48:04
Most likely cuz you never baked them in the oven
BunkerGirl Posted - 16/04/2013 : 20:53:42
Thanks guys! Although, bad news, the hides have gone a bit weird. I've just put varnish on them and left them out to dry overnight. If they are ok I'll stick up the recipe. I'm well upset, I really liked them

I also have a water bowl now after a trip to Paws For Thought in Leeds. It was amazing! Would totally recommend going up for a mooch
Zoe Posted - 15/04/2013 : 11:11:38
Those hides are fab - how are they made?
boomslang Posted - 14/04/2013 : 21:20:14
Just do what you said,put afew plants on the sides to etc etc.He/she should be fine :)

As for lighting,I'd go for the led type :P there great if the only source of light,can hide them away to without starter units and the cost.

And will give you bright clean light for viewing and a light cycle for the snake.
Purplefizz Posted - 14/04/2013 : 17:36:17
Hi Bunkergirl,

What recipe did you use for your salt dough, think I'm going to give it a go
rockroyal Posted - 14/04/2013 : 17:06:14
great deal you got there. how do you make them hides as i really like them
phlegmatical Posted - 14/04/2013 : 06:37:27
My young royal was in a rub inside a viv for a while then I started leaving the lid off and eventually took away the rub and he did fine. I just filled it with hides and plants etc like you said!
BunkerGirl Posted - 14/04/2013 : 01:31:52
Currently it's a dream snake

I'm still saving and getting everything together. I just thought it was too good a deal to miss!

I'm not going to lie, I'm planning on putting a young royal in there. However, with much planning and excellent crafting (not!) I'm hoping to provide lots of nice tidy holes etc. for them.

Also, question as per lighting. Now I know technically royals are nocturnal blady blah etc. but I live in a flat with no natural light. Yes, it is weird. So I was going to put in a small UV light, so that there is some light and UV but some dark. I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of a snake having no access to light unless it's on and I'm in, or UV.

I'm ok with me turning into a Morlock, I just don't want to force it on a poor snake. Wadda you guys think?
boomslang Posted - 13/04/2013 : 15:49:54
quote:
A woman wanted to hibernate her tortoise in it but he hated it and tried to dig out - hence the scratched up back.
Hehehe

quote:
I know this is an area of debate but I think with plenty of foliage and hides etc. it would be ok. If it doesn't work out, I'll set up a RUB.
Depends on the snake too How old/big etc is the royal?
BunkerGirl Posted - 13/04/2013 : 09:21:13
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

Is that back really thin? Or the same size as the rest of the wood?
The background you've put in,makes it look a hundred times better,Just be sure to really test the stat out,make sure it's all working correct :)

It's hardboard but never mind. I'm in two minds as to making a background which would certainly improve insulation. I've checking the stat, it's fine. A woman wanted to hibernate her tortoise in it but he hated it and tried to dig out - hence the scratched up back.

quote:
Although if your getting a young un, it'll be a while before its ready to go into the viv.

I know this is an area of debate but I think with plenty of foliage and hides etc. it would be ok. If it doesn't work out, I'll set up a RUB.

I'm just getting mega excited now!
boomslang Posted - 12/04/2013 : 01:29:41
Is that back really thin? Or the same size as the rest of the wood?
The background you've put in,makes it look a hundred times better,Just be sure to really test the stat out,make sure it's all working correct :)
Pythonwizard Posted - 11/04/2013 : 22:40:45
great deal on the viv for £60 barging all you need now is a snake. As Boabab said if your getting a juvenile it looks a bit on the big side but not worry as long as you get plenty of plants and stuff it should be fine
herriotfan Posted - 11/04/2013 : 21:59:02
Love the bubbly look the microwave made!
Baobab Posted - 11/04/2013 : 21:34:14
Those hides look brilliant. Also the background fairly made the viv look a little less "loved". Now just get out and get a snake to put in it. Although if your getting a young un, it'll be a while before its ready to go into the viv.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000