The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 How to build a viv stack by dazb

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dazb Posted - 31/08/2009 : 09:59:25

Thought I would put up a sticky of how I built my stack to give you all afew ideas if you decide to have a go yourselves. Its gonna house a corn in the bottom and a royal in the middle and top viv...

It is run off 1 Habistat Dimmer Stat with the probe in the middle viv.

The temps are 29*C in the bottom viv, 32*C in the middle and 33*C in the top viv.

I hope you like it...

Cabinet with doors inside...(it is upside down in pic)

All fittings removed and holes filled, doors cut to size and shelf holders fitted...

Vents holes cut out and cable holes drilled...

Doors fitted as dividers to make the floor/roofs of the viv's and baton added to raise the glass runners off the viv floor...

Runners added, Viv sealed using aquarium sealant and varnished. Left for a few days for any fumes to dissapate...

Light fitting added, probe positioned and home made guard fitted...

Digital thermometers added and glass doors put in...

Positioned and switched on to set temps...

Added a heat shield/reflector made from a cut down polystyrene tile wrapped in tin foil to help reduce heat transfer in th above viv's. Only used in the bottom 2 viv's...

After temps had settled filled it with husbandry. I am in the process of adding more to fill it out more to make it feel more secure for the snakes...

Any questions feel free to ask...

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cookie Posted - 20/07/2012 : 19:19:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Hey Cookie, not seen Dazb around here for many months so not sure you'll get a reply, I used to have a similar viv-stack but I'd recommend using three thermostats - one for each bulb. I do however run 6 heat mats myself off the same thermostat on a RUB rack I own using an extension lead.

Oh right, thanks Kelf.

Yea ideally I hope to have a separate stat for each one, its just in de meantime because they are expensive enough lol.

Do you have any recommendations/tips for building a similar rub stack for hatchlings? Or is there an existing thread I could have a read of?

I know im constantly asking questions but just want to make sure its all as close to perfect as possible lol
Kelfezond Posted - 20/07/2012 : 17:57:04
Hey Cookie, not seen Dazb around here for many months so not sure you'll get a reply, I used to have a similar viv-stack but I'd recommend using three thermostats - one for each bulb. I do however run 6 heat mats myself off the same thermostat on a RUB rack I own using an extension lead.
Cookie Posted - 20/07/2012 : 17:46:50
Cool! Just what I was looking for! Got a few questions :0)

Just wondering, is there any certain wood to avoid when building the stack?
And I noticed the way you said you are only using one thermostat, do you simply plug a double adapter into the power source plug from the thermostat to do all three bulbs?

And finally, from your experience do the temps in the below and above tanks stay stable enough? I'm hoping to get another snake soon and possibly breed and this is just ideal for me! :0)

Thanks

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000