The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 paint question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 30/12/2011 : 15:40:17
i bought a viv a while back an the melamane(think thats what its called) plastic sheet on the bottom had peeled up.
i pulled this off an painted it with some gloss paint that was lying around. its been sat in my kitchen for a month or so. i know yacht varnish gives off more fumes when heated will gloss paint do the same or is normal gloss paint not a good idea?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 31/12/2011 : 20:02:39
Astroturf sounds like a good idea, washable too.

Going to google to see if I can get sample pieces
chrisc Posted - 31/12/2011 : 19:39:34
some removable bits of astroturf would also look good.
im just going to screw some bit of wood to the edge as ive not bothered sealing the bottom up as its only for a few weeks till i get some big vivs for them.
wanted to get him out of the rub as im not really a fan of them
n/a Posted - 31/12/2011 : 16:05:34
Ah yes - I'd thought of that in case the snake fell off, wouldn't risk aspen up on the shelf with my lot though as they're so untidy (take after me.) Another thing I'd thought of was fitting a piece of lino on top of the shelf, less slippery than melamine but still cleanable, but that would need to be attached with aquarium sealant and well caulked round the edges in case the snake weed on it ...as they do.

A lip would still be a good idea though as then I could put a hide up there and unless the snake was in a right mood, it couldn't push it off ...

Hmm...back to the drawing board ...
chrisc Posted - 31/12/2011 : 14:42:20
yea the airing cupboard can wait.
one thing though i would put a small lip around the shelf(somthing i need to do) as when i put him in the viv he climbed straight onto the shelf pushed all the aspen off then fell off
n/a Posted - 31/12/2011 : 14:34:42
Cool! Now you've given me a good idea about using the rest of the melamine for a viv shelf ...it WAS intended for new airing cupboard shelves but bugger the airing cupboard eh? Nice one!
chrisc Posted - 31/12/2011 : 13:11:54
think this had crestie's in it, bought it without really looking at it closely.
anyway new floor, shelf and climbing branch

and with snake. granted its not a royal but this was the first place i though to ask about paint

reptilemadd Posted - 31/12/2011 : 11:06:12
I had the same problem in a recycled viv that had beardies in it, I ended up tiling it, not only did it solve the problem it added some visual and textureal interest as well lol..
chrisc Posted - 30/12/2011 : 16:54:36
never thought of that, ive got some bits of melamine boards lying around. no risk of problems with the paint. cheers bats
n/a Posted - 30/12/2011 : 16:39:55
Hi, I have an old secondhand viv with the same problem, due to lizards having been kept in it and requiring high humidity, I think, and I'm in the process of fitting a new bottom panel ...a fiver's worth of melamine from Wickes. (Well, had to buy the whole panel, £12, but can re-use the rest for something else.)

A solution I did consider was a sheet of lino, fitting well, and re-caulk very well round the edges, but if the floor's been exposed you can't clean it thoroughly, so I've gone with the new panel solution, and will still be recaulking (bloody magnificent solid viv though, built like the proverbial brick ****house!)

Hope this helps if you have any doubts about paint - hope you get sorted.
chrisc Posted - 30/12/2011 : 16:11:49
i never thought to check hust found some black paint a though that will do.

only way i can think to heat it is buy hanging a bulb in there as all my heat source's are being used apart from a tiny 7w heatmat.
other think is its going to have a heat mat in there
even with it dry/cured could the mat cause any problems with it being in contact with it?
reptilemadd Posted - 30/12/2011 : 16:01:04
As far as I know normal gloss ie solvent based isn't that good it's best to use water based, although if it's been drying for a month it should be "smell free lol" if you can though heat the viv while it's empty and if it's still giving off fumes leave it heated for a few days with plenty of ventilation and air it out

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000