The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Textured backgrounds

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mystra Posted - 13/02/2012 : 13:31:10
Well... believe it or not i'm STILL building Sanchez' viv!!!

Basically... well i've been a bit quiet on here, as i haven't been the best snake mummy in the world, due to serious problems with my goldfish :( so that's taking up lots of time and money :( Chancho's on a fast for the past 3 weeks, so it's just Betty and Sanchez to play with and they've being grumpy due to the cold LOL luckily snakes don't really give a monkeys as long as they're fed and watered and kept clean, i do miss having more armchair walkies time but literally every night is spent faffing about with the fish :(

ANYWAY....

Sanchez's viv is nearly done, i just used a picture background for the back wall, but on the size walls i bought those exo terra polystyrene things. After spending ages sticking them on and cutting them to size, i realise... they look terrible - mainly because i've hacked them to bits and created holes that Sanchez could quite happy go and get stuck in.

So... i really am not in the mood for making anything... i know backgrounds aren't that hard to make really with polystyrene grout etc... but i just want something quick and nice!

Vivarium background to buy are a rip off, aside from the exo terra ones. £25 for a tile of cork bark!?!?!?!?!?? etc....

I want something with a bit lower profile than the exo terra background which stick out about an inch or so.

i was thinking like a lino tile or something that is still a bit textured but nowhere near as thick and a million times easier to just stick on and cover with some fake plants etc...?

Any other suggestions? :)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mystra Posted - 29/02/2012 : 13:41:17
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Just a quick postscript - the Lieutenant arrived at Bats' Belfry on Sunday night and is settling in well - he's a beautiful lad, and thanks again Mystra!

thank you for having him BATS, at least there is one happy ending to this tale! x
mystra Posted - 29/02/2012 : 13:40:01
quote:
Originally posted by jbarlow91

Sorry to hear about pedro. He looks a right chunky monkey

thank you - monkey wasn't the word for that little bugger, he was so naughty!!!
n/a Posted - 29/02/2012 : 13:17:25
Just a quick postscript - the Lieutenant arrived at Bats' Belfry on Sunday night and is settling in well - he's a beautiful lad, and thanks again Mystra!
jbarlow91 Posted - 20/02/2012 : 22:40:52
Sorry to hear about pedro. He looks a right chunky monkey
n/a Posted - 20/02/2012 : 21:47:24
Hi, Mystra - so very sorry to hear. He was such a character and a most beautiful fish.

Have emailed you about the Lieutenant.

All the very best, love and hugs, Lil xxx
mystra Posted - 20/02/2012 : 21:18:51
well Pedro swam off into the sunset as it were tonight. Decided after a lot of thinking the best thing for him was to pass peacefully.. he no dubt would have dragged on forever as he always has done but he looked in such pain and discomfort.

RIP Pedro, you naughty fat fishy x

PS BATS - i've sent you an email :)
n/a Posted - 17/02/2012 : 22:36:51
Ah, I wondered. Yes, I've used it for toothache. I hadn't heard of it as a fish anaesthetic/euthanasia though. No, I couldn't freeze something. On a couple of occasions when I've had an obviously dying fish I've gripped it in a piece of kitchen roll and quickly cut its head off with a pair of scissors - done fast this really is instantaneous - but you need a very strong stomach and even then it's horrible. The clove oil sounds a lot gentler.
mystra Posted - 17/02/2012 : 22:28:35
quote:

Oh poor guy ...clove oil?

yes, it's a herbal anesthetic, can be used to numb toothache. Basically you create a mix of it with water, then add to the fish in whatever its swimming in (like a bucket or something). Sends them to sleep on a small dose, or overdose them to sleep forever. Most humane way bar a bash on the head.. which i can't bring myself to do. Freezing is horrible, same as freezing any animal still living because of ice crystals forming etc.
n/a Posted - 17/02/2012 : 19:00:43
Oh poor guy ...clove oil?
mystra Posted - 17/02/2012 : 18:05:00
quote:

Aww, bet he looks cool - Hawkeye's very golden - and I feed goldfish food too, and plec wafers. Hotlips is a pinky beige with longitudinal stripes, and I thought I'd got it worked out that Hawkeye is a misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Hotlips a fossilis - but turns out she's nothing like a fossilis - don't know what she is, but interesting nevertheless.

Love the way they prop themselves up on a stone on their front fins and stare at you ...and then thoughtfully yaaawn ...or is that a belch lol?

awwwww, amazing all the different patterns etc you can get! The Leiutenant always does the propping up thing, looks lie a seal! Needs a beach ball to balance on his nose!

If it gets really hot in the summer he climbs on top of the filter and sits out of the water! I remember asking about it on RFUK and was told they can survive out of water for a time, and someones had once leapt out the tank and survived overnight, before being found half way across the livingroom!

Just watching Pedro now, i'm seeing how he gets on this weekend. Not going to do anymore huge water changes, as its too stressful on him, if these are his final days then i want things to be nice as possibly.. i will keep things clean of course but, i think we're past the point of no return. I've been watching him for 10 min and he hasn't even moved an inch, looks like its septicemia, on top of his existing nitrate poisoning. When he breathes he twitches so it must be hard work or painful in some way.

I've got clove oil in, so at least i can make the decision and get on with it, rather than prolonging the agony trooping round herbal shops and chemists trying to find it.
n/a Posted - 17/02/2012 : 17:23:33
Aww, bet he looks cool - Hawkeye's very golden - and I feed goldfish food too, and plec wafers. Hotlips is a pinky beige with longitudinal stripes, and I thought I'd got it worked out that Hawkeye is a misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Hotlips a fossilis - but turns out she's nothing like a fossilis - don't know what she is, but interesting nevertheless.

Love the way they prop themselves up on a stone on their front fins and stare at you ...and then thoughtfully yaaawn ...or is that a belch lol?
mystra Posted - 16/02/2012 : 18:04:06
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mystra

quote:

Urrgghh, I don't blame him!

Is it something to do with his swim bladder? With his needing the epsom salts?

well i've treated before for swim bladder issues, but not with this recipe, usually just peas. But he really doesn't have much of an appetite or any desire to chase around peas in the tank like he used to, so someone on koko's goldfish forum suggested this method. Not convinced very much got into his system as he kept spitting it out.

He looks terrible today, back to just being upside down at the bottom with his all his fins clamped in and just looking really unhappy and slow. Hopefully he might perk up later in the day as he's not much of a morning fish!

Aww bless him, know how he feels about mornings lol - DO hope the treatment has good results, fingers crossed for the poor lad.

And good luck with the backgrounds - they sound cool - lol, yeah it's awful when you have to switch a snake on to less frequent meals - even though they're getting a bigger meal, they still act as if you're starving them, greedy little gits!

i know, he's not the most active and sociable of the three but he's always looking at me now as if to say "Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum... where's my dinner?!"

about to head home to a night of water testing and changes again.. The Lieutenant must be made of strong stuff, he's looking lovely at the moment not a problem in sight *touch wood* He's been eating a lot of the goldfish food due to their lack of appetite, so he's going a bit golden himself due to to the colour enhancing stuff in their food!
n/a Posted - 16/02/2012 : 17:59:06
quote:
Originally posted by mystra

quote:

well i've treated before for swim bladder issues, but not with this recipe, usually just peas. But he really doesn't have much of an appetite or any desire to chase around peas in the tank like he used to, so someone on koko's goldfish forum suggested this method. Not convinced very much got into his system as he kept spitting it out.

He looks terrible today, back to just being upside down at the bottom with his all his fins clamped in and just looking really unhappy and slow. Hopefully he might perk up later in the day as he's not much of a morning fish!

Aww bless him, know how he feels about mornings lol - DO hope the treatment has good results, fingers crossed for the poor lad.

And good luck with the backgrounds - they sound cool - lol, yeah it's awful when you have to switch a snake on to less frequent meals - even though they're getting a bigger meal, they still act as if you're starving them, greedy little gits!
mystra Posted - 16/02/2012 : 12:43:19
sorry i realise how off topic this has gone!!!

Just had some samples of texture vinyl tiles come in today off ebay, really cool! couple of browny slatey ones and a funky one that looks like small boulders stacked up!

Now to pick which one looks nice when i get in... like when you have bits of wallpaper and paint and stick it all up in the room you're going to decorate haha... i wonder what Sanchez will think... (probably "where's dinner?" as he's less than pleased about being fed every 10 days rather than 7 LOL)
mystra Posted - 16/02/2012 : 08:15:43
quote:

n/a Posted - 16/02/2012 : 00:43:30

mystra Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:04:16
quote:

Yeah, I hope you can keep him, but happy to be on standby - hope the water change went ok - you won't need to go to the gym with all that hauling buckets about!

All the very best.

i know, it really does wear you out, especially lugging them up the stairs!

Finally done for tonight. Had to pop him into a sandwich box and syringe feed hm a mix of epsom salts and mushed up peas, which he really didn't enjoy funnily enough... got soaked by the little devil!
n/a Posted - 15/02/2012 : 21:44:06
Yeah, I hope you can keep him, but happy to be on standby - hope the water change went ok - you won't need to go to the gym with all that hauling buckets about!

All the very best.
mystra Posted - 15/02/2012 : 20:19:20
quote:

Thanks, but no way could I let you do that!But it's very sweet of you, and thanks for the kind words, though I'm not that organised; I'm quite messy and slapdash but the animals do take priority, I'd feel wrong if they didn't ...

However, I've had a brainwave. It only occurred to me this afternoon - but my ex has to go down to London every fortnight, usually on a Saturday, to visit his uncle, who's in a nursing home near the Tate Gallery, is it the left bank, that area. I've yet to ask him, but if it came to the crunch and you did have to rehome the Lieutenant, could it be possible to meet up with Adrian (the ex) and then he could bring the Lieutenant up to Wakefield? I would of course pay you for The Lieutenant and also refund travelling expenses.

I do hope you don't have to rehome him, but it could be a contingency plan. I would love to have him; weather loach are so cool.

That sounds awful about Precious. Poor girl.

Hoping and praying for Pedro to improve. All the very best xxx

good thinking BATS :D

Hopefully it wont come to that, but good to know there's a plan there :) i honestly wouldn't want money for him, a good home is priceless! he is one cool loach and i'm sure the others would love him too!

i'm mid-huge-water change.... down to an inch or so as i've had an ammonia spike, and nitrates through the roof :( then i'm syringe feeding the poor boy :(
n/a Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:47:13
Thanks, but no way could I let you do that!But it's very sweet of you, and thanks for the kind words, though I'm not that organised; I'm quite messy and slapdash but the animals do take priority, I'd feel wrong if they didn't ...

However, I've had a brainwave. It only occurred to me this afternoon - but my ex has to go down to London every fortnight, usually on a Saturday, to visit his uncle, who's in a nursing home near the Tate Gallery, is it the left bank, that area. I've yet to ask him, but if it came to the crunch and you did have to rehome the Lieutenant, could it be possible to meet up with Adrian (the ex) and then he could bring the Lieutenant up to Wakefield? I would of course pay you for The Lieutenant and also refund travelling expenses.

I do hope you don't have to rehome him, but it could be a contingency plan. I would love to have him; weather loach are so cool.

That sounds awful about Precious. Poor girl.

Hoping and praying for Pedro to improve. All the very best xxx

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000