The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Custom Background, will it work?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
michaelduffield Posted - 24/02/2012 : 10:01:24
Im thinking of making a custom background and hide for a adult (4ft) royal python. Im going to make it using the methonds ive seen here using poly etc. I was wondering if two of my ideas would work

1st: I want to make a hide and join it to the back of the background so its all one big piece. Will this work as im sick of my royal moving his hide about when he gets in and out of it. One minute its in the corner of the viv and the next hes moved it in the middle.

2nd: This is the one im unsure about. Above one of my hides i want to make a second floor like a little walk way up and a shelf made as part of the custom background so it will all be joined together. But what i want is a water bowl to be on the shelf made from poly. The water bowl is a big dog bowl so would this be too heavy for the poly to hold and just crack and break it or can it take a lot of wight after its been grouted and varnished etc etc

If i havent explained anything very good let me know and ill draw a little diagram to show what i mean. Thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/02/2012 : 16:40:37
I love these creative setups; they do really look good and nobody else has got one the same - they're fab and with a bit of ingenuity and patience, the sky's your limit.

BUT - after a couple of years' observation of snakes and their habits, I would first of all think cleaning. Think stinky wee seeping everywhere, a soggy log jammed in the hide and smelling to high heaven and the fun you're going to have trying to weasel every bit of **** out from every nook and cranny.

So first of all I'd suggest applying the creativity to a snake keeper friendly setup which can be taken apart easily, washed if necessary, and put back together, clunk-click, perhaps in the middle of the night when you discover the log and the tsunami of stinky wee ...

Then get going with the artistic stuff and it will be state of the art perfect - look forward to pics!

jbarlow91 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 14:12:03
I think the water bowl will be ok if you put a sort of bracket under the shelf where the water bowl would be and glue and screw it to the viv and shelf to secure it. Only other thing I could think of is depending on how high the second level is u could put a block or something on floor of the viv to put water bowl on so the top of the bowl is flush with the second level so it isn't weighing the shelf down
reptiledanny Posted - 24/02/2012 : 11:07:36
1. The problem with the hide being attatched is what happens if you want to get the royal out?? you cant lift up the hide to get him out. the only way around this is to make the sides attatched, and then have a removable top on it.
2. you would have to test this out really, who nows how much weight the poly could take. you would have to make it really thick to hold it i would presume as i know how heavy the ceramic bowls are, and then filled with water as well.
all sounds good, just needs a slight bit of tweaking

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000