The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 artificial plants and vines

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sabriyyah Posted - 25/03/2012 : 18:39:44
I want to put some greenery in my viv (not that Alice would notice I'm sure)and am wondering what is the best type to buy. Is there anything that is unsuitable due to toxicity etc?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
paulmpd Posted - 05/04/2012 : 15:39:32
toxicity would only maybe become an issue when it would be chewed on, doubtful that that would happen.
n/a Posted - 25/03/2012 : 20:08:05
I use these -

In the UK they're known as screw eyes; I think sometimes they're called vine eyes as well because they're used for tying up plants - you have to pierce a pilot hole in the viv wall and they just screw in by hand, and then you can tie the vine or plant up securely. Though they're so small they're very strong - even a large royal can climb on a vine secured like this.

Amendment - in the pic the plant wasn't actually tied, but you get the idea. They're basically a metal ring with a shaft like a conventional screw, and of course once fixed, there are no sharp edges.
Sabriyyah Posted - 25/03/2012 : 19:58:53
BATS - Thanks for this. I shall go out and see what i can find. Not sure about being able to climb up it though. How would i secure it so it didn't fall down with her weight?
n/a Posted - 25/03/2012 : 18:56:24
I think snakes do notice and appreciate artificial plants and vines - these provide cover and an extra dimension for climbing.

I don't think there is any risk of toxicity with the usual silk or plastic stuff - especially if it's manufactured for reptiles/aquariums in the first place. If in doubt you could rinse it before use. A greater risk is any exposed sharp end of wire - a good idea to check for this.

Plus, and as far as I know, this has only ever happened to me - I once fed Shahi when he was a baby, and he was chomping away with his mouth close to a clump of silk leaves ...oh no? Oh yes! A leaf caught on a tooth and started to go down ...nightmare! I did manage to free it and he did finish his meal, but I was sweating!

I fed him well away from any foliage after that!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000