The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Big viv plans

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 27/05/2012 : 10:14:09
So my new viv is almost ready, I have a few pictures I'll upload later but until it's 100% done it doesn't look very specialy, just thought I'd mention a few things I've added which I think are kinda cool.

First is her water bowl, I've cut out the depth of it into a large cube of polystyerene, we place the bowl into the poly, silicone the gaps around the top, paint the cube in grout, paint and finally a sealer to help water resist it and cover the grout from the snakes to avoid any ingestion. The cube is the exact width of the viv so it completely covers the last part of floor space, to counter it taking up so much space we have built a platform that attached to the poly-cube and sits about 1ft on top of the water bowl, this allows them to still get inside the water bowl, have some shade and cover while in there but also sit ontop on their platform if they want the room. The platform can be detached for cleaning and to allow access to clean the water bowl. To empty and refill the water bowl would prove difficult so on the side of the cube which is against the viv wall we have drilled a large hole and attached a tap onto the bowl so when the tap is turned on the water drains through a pipe into a bucket (or several) to avoid having to remove the whole thing.

As the viv was built the polywood which holds it all together and acts as walls was built over a frame which gave us 25mm gaps on each wall, we have filled these with polystyerene for both insulation and decoration, with scrap polystyerene we have made loads of fake rocks and glued them to the polystyerene walls (in the hope they won't be pulled down) this has all been painted and sealed again to stop contact with the snakes. This should really help keep heat as the viv is 5 feet tall (7.5 feet long and 2.5 feet wide) and it also looks quite good at this stage :)

The heating will be done with a ceramic bulb and a guard but I will have additional lighting in the form of LED's in key locations so the snakes are still visible but at night time the light will be dim enough to give them some security.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 27/05/2012 : 20:59:28
haha I made my own! I stuck 6 lots of 100mm sheet ontop of each other XD
reptilemadd Posted - 27/05/2012 : 20:31:54
Me too mate come on we want pic's and lots of them lol so did you fold and buy that expensive full cube or make your own in the end?
Meadow Posted - 27/05/2012 : 10:50:07
Sounds amazing! I'm with blackskull - can't wait to see pics!
blackskull Posted - 27/05/2012 : 10:30:18
sounds good, look forward to seeing pics

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000