The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 has anyone got a komodo thermometer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonnyc1988 Posted - 01/08/2012 : 14:58:03
Ive just bought one of these komodo thermometers to replace my anologues.
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/komodo-combined-digital-thermometer-and-hygrometer.html

I really cant get my head around how to use it? It obviously wasnt designed for reptile keepers, I can tell Komodo have just stamped their name on it. One of the thermometers is labelled "out", the other "in". So its obviously just for a house. It also has an alarm clock?!?!?

What i dont understand is it has loads of different settings such as max in, min in, max out, min out, high C, Low C, High H, Low H. I dont know what any of it means, I just want it to read the temp at both ends and the humidity! can anyone help?

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
andybeta Posted - 08/08/2012 : 21:35:55
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

I just hope its as accurate as it says because the readings are all different to my exo terra analogues.

FWIW my new thermometer gun thing reads exactly the same temps as both the komodo probes.
boomslang Posted - 01/08/2012 : 21:19:44
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

Yeah its annoying having to cycle through all the screens to see the cool ends temp. In hindsight I wish I had read up on these a bit more. This Komodo one is a bit of a let down. They have obviously just bought a load of these on the cheap and stamped komodo on them. I just hope its as accurate as it says because the readings are all different to my exo terra analogues.

Bang on lol,seen them being sold as greenhouse thermometers to.
jonnyc1988 Posted - 01/08/2012 : 21:09:09
Yeah its annoying having to cycle through all the screens to see the cool ends temp. In hindsight I wish I had read up on these a bit more. This Komodo one is a bit of a let down. They have obviously just bought a load of these on the cheap and stamped komodo on them. I just hope its as accurate as it says because the readings are all different to my exo terra analogues.
boomslang Posted - 01/08/2012 : 20:45:03
I use single thermometers/Hygrometers but i do have...

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/thermometers-501/lucky-reptile-thermometer-hygro-deluxe-pro-26129.html

Which is good and you can clearly see the readouts,without having to press anything.But the probes are alittle on the large side.But i wouldn't buy that Komodo one,Don't need to know if its sunny or cloudy inside the viv.Don't need an alarm or to know the time :)
andybeta Posted - 01/08/2012 : 20:15:09
In hindsight, Boomslang, I think you're right, but I bought all this stuff in advance. I was kind of hoping it would display both temps and the humidity on the same screen. At the end of the day a lot of people seem to say they don't monitor the cool end so much anyway, and I haven't checked much except during the 'heat wave' last week to check the gradient was OK.
boomslang Posted - 01/08/2012 : 20:03:37
quote:
Originally posted by andybeta

I have the out probe at the cool end and the in probe at the hot end and just leave it showing 'in' (ie monitoring warm temps) all the time. Now and then I switch through and check the 'out' (ie cool end) temps. Then I switch it straight back to in and leave it there. I ignore the max, min, alarm and weather.

See that would do my head in,I like to beable to see each temp listed on the thermometer.Not have to press the cycle button to see each probes read outs.
jonnyc1988 Posted - 01/08/2012 : 19:26:39
Okay, I think I have it all figured, it is remarkable the difference between the digital and analogue thermometers (i left them in to see). There was definitely about 3-4 degrees difference.

I went for digital because Juju missed his first and second feed the last 2 weeks. He did actually eat again before the thermometer even came though. All temps are spot on now though.
andybeta Posted - 01/08/2012 : 18:30:36
I have the out probe at the cool end and the in probe at the hot end and just leave it showing 'in' (ie monitoring warm temps) all the time. Now and then I switch through and check the 'out' (ie cool end) temps. Then I switch it straight back to in and leave it there. I ignore the max, min, alarm and weather.
boomslang Posted - 01/08/2012 : 16:43:22
quote:
Originally posted by Dixon

I don't have the Komodo thermometer but mine also has in and out leads and that, I believe, is just so you know which lead is at the hot and and which is at the cold end. The max in, max out on mine is just a record of what the max and min temp have been since you last reset the gauge. The max in/out will read the hottest temps at the hot (if that is where the in lead is placed) and the hottest at the cold end (the out lead in this case. The min in/out will read the minimum temperture in each end. It is just a way of keeping an eye on what the tempertures are when you are not there.

That is how mine works but as I say it isn't a Komodo so can't say for sure if yours is the same. If you find the max/min business useful or not I guess is a matter of personal choice.

basically this..Just leave it on "in out" and forget about the other settings etc.

It should just be showing...whatever the temps are

IN..30c
OUT..25c
humidity under that.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/swell-heating-equipment-1544/swell-pro-digital-thermo-hygrometer-323334.html

Looking at the pics,do you have to press a button to cycle the in/out temp readings? As one pic i looked at Has the time on the top,then one temp reading etc.
Dixon Posted - 01/08/2012 : 16:08:24
I don't have the Komodo thermometer but mine also has in and out leads and that, I believe, is just so you know which lead is at the hot and and which is at the cold end. The max in, max out on mine is just a record of what the max and min temp have been since you last reset the gauge. The max in/out will read the hottest temps at the hot (if that is where the in lead is placed) and the hottest at the cold end (the out lead in this case. The min in/out will read the minimum temperture in each end. It is just a way of keeping an eye on what the tempertures are when you are not there.

That is how mine works but as I say it isn't a Komodo so can't say for sure if yours is the same. If you find the max/min business useful or not I guess is a matter of personal choice.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000