The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royal Python Enclosures

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lindstrom Posted - 16/08/2012 : 22:06:15
Hi all,

I have been doing some research in to royal python enclosures and came across this article on worldofballpythons.com

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/articles/three-common-misconceptions/

In short it gives very good reasons not to keep royals in a glass enclosure or an enclosure with an "open top" it also notes you should use heat mats not lamps as royals are ground dwelling and do not bask. Both obvious theories but...

You shouldn't use a heat mat inside an enclosure due to possible burns and you cant put a mat under a wood enclosure because the heat would not pass well, you cant have the mat inside with glass on top because of lack of airflow.
Does this mean the ideal heat source would be an AHS heater? like,
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/ahs-heaters-1406/microclimate-ahs-heaters-175433.html

What are your opinions on the best enclosure possible? what enclosure do you use?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 20/08/2012 : 02:05:12
Move it way from the water bowl.Move it to the back or middle of viv.
Lindstrom Posted - 19/08/2012 : 19:38:02
It is a digital one about 6 inches above the water bowl on the cold side and I haven't sprayed since he has been in that enclosure.
boomslang Posted - 19/08/2012 : 19:23:51
I had a soaking bag awhile ago,Had to dry it outside in the sun all day.Have you sprayed the viv in them three weeks?

It might still be alittle wet.

quote:
And the thermometer/ hydrometer at cold end is a cheap generic one
Cheap digi or analog? and where is the hydrometer probe in the viv? Most likely giving you a poor reading.
Lindstrom Posted - 19/08/2012 : 17:54:14
Barks 3 weeks old was damp when I got it about 1cm deep on hot side and an inch on the cold side.
boomslang Posted - 19/08/2012 : 16:13:01
Also how's it all being heated? How long ago did you put the bark in?
As some bags are sold very wet,and will need awhile to dry out 100%
hodgie Posted - 19/08/2012 : 15:38:04
I`d say keep them what ever way you think is best, if you have the temps then it will be correct.
For visual appeal use a viv, when you have more snakes practicality becomes more important, ease of cleaning etc. I went from having 3 vivs in the lounge to having a complete room filled with home made racks and rubs,
Lindstrom Posted - 18/08/2012 : 20:08:27
Warm side ground is exo terra digital now at 34.8c
Thermostat is set at 31c
Warm side ambient thermometer is analogue exo terra at 22c
And the thermometer/ hydrometer at cold end is a cheap generic one now at 24.4c, 72% humidity

I moved them around today to get more accurate readings obviously 72% is way to high and I need 50-60% I tried opening the room window and tank for half hour and got it down to 70%, I don't know if it's got a high reading because it's new and the probe needs to dry out? Should I point the probe up? :s if it's the same by the end of the month I may switch to aspen instead of orchid bark as I believe the would be driest, the enclosure is open top and does not feel humid and the snake is if anything slightly dry. Rather confusing it could be a cheap inaccurate hydrometer but I don't have a way of testing it, was in 70's when it arrived.
boomslang Posted - 18/08/2012 : 18:24:16
So your royal is in the exo terra terrarium?And are they digital thermometers/Hydrometer,or the analog stick on kinds?

Go by the readings on the thermometers etc,not the thermostat as thats always off.
Lindstrom Posted - 18/08/2012 : 08:12:10
It is pro viv and anti glass because of insulation and humidity.
Speaking of humidity I have just purchased 2 thermometers and a hydrometer and I am getting some confusing read outs:
Thermostat: 86f
Thermometer warm side: 93f
Thermometer warm side on top of substrate: 83f
Thermometer cold side mid height: 77f
Hydrometer: 84%

I have no idea why the humidity is so high or why there is a dramatic difference in temperature readings, I have an open top exo terra terrarium.
boomslang Posted - 17/08/2012 : 22:39:29
quote:
In short it gives very good reasons not to keep royals in a glass enclosure or an enclosure with an "open top"
Well it's an american site,they use alot of them fish tanks/reptile tanks.Which have more in common with a fish tank.

Tawfik47 Posted - 17/08/2012 : 20:03:18
I agree with you Bob, Blitz is doing great in his 6x2 viv, but i must admit with no guard around my 150wat bulb I must used heat mat plus the bulb (because i can't turn on the bulb to the max without the bulb).
Lotabob Posted - 17/08/2012 : 18:31:50
I can assure you any snake will sit under a heat bulb if it is cold and wants to warm up. Duke sits under his bulb most nights for a little bit to top up his core temperature. So no Royals dont bask, basking in the sense of sitting out in the sun in the wild, they do seek out heat though, wherever its coming from.

I love my ceramic bulbs, they hold a great hot spot temp and also the excess heat they give off keeps the air temp just nice for them too. They need a good quality guard and suitable thermostat but they do a great job in even my biggest vivarium (6x2 foot)
acd1984 Posted - 17/08/2012 : 18:03:25
Wooden viv with either ceramic or IR bulb. or a racking systmes using 50ltr rubs and heatmats. they are what i have used (except ceramic) with no problems
jonnyc1988 Posted - 16/08/2012 : 23:10:59
Wooden viv with a ceramic bulb does the trick.
It doesn't give off any light, so it's not like basking.
Fezza Posted - 16/08/2012 : 22:54:30
Vivs if you only have a few animals, heated by ceramic bulb is the most practical IMHO

For multiple animals, a racking system using tubs and heat mats is the most practical method
Evolution Morphs Posted - 16/08/2012 : 22:25:25
Vivs or rubs

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000