The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matildasmum Posted - 26/08/2012 : 11:22:28
I was looking for some help please
we are really struggling with our temps right now.
we have a 50watt ceramic heater running of a pp stat, we cant seem to get the temps right at all. the probe is directly below the heater approx 4-5 inches away from it and about 1-2 inches off the ground, we have a thermometor in the same place and aonther one at the cool end, our cool end tamps are ok at between 72-78 but our hot end we are struggling to maintain, it keeps altering dramatically, could this be because we cant hget our heat source directly down it is at a slight angle, dont know what else to do other than strip and start again, matilda is shedding so dont really want to have to do that right now
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 26/08/2012 : 16:34:41
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob
Oh dear see these Royals, you want to get the Sun rang, they will front page this too. lol.

HA!
Lotabob Posted - 26/08/2012 : 16:32:43
Sounds like it was fine all along lol.

quote:
Originally posted by matildasmum

tried to have a nibble on ma boob

Oh dear see these Royals, you want to get the Sun rang, they will front page this too. lol.
matildasmum Posted - 26/08/2012 : 16:29:02
thanks so much for your help guys, will load a few photos shortly, we have a 3ft viv, i have moved the thermostat probe and temp probe so they are together lying exactly where the stream of heat falls and you will never guess, the temp is static at 90.1 im assuming this is ok??
however im letting it settle for a few hours so tilda is currently in her rub bathing and rubbing as she is deep in shed, she even tried to have a nibble on ma boob lol dont think she was to pleased at being disturbed during this shed, hopefully this one will come away in 1 piece with nothing retained xx
Lotabob Posted - 26/08/2012 : 14:24:02
Dont panic lol, its easily fixed.

You need your thermometer probe on the ground directly under the bulb's strongest radiative surface (the bottom), right slap bang in the middle of where it is throwing the heat on the ground. That is your hot spot, its that bit that should be 32-33oC (or 89-91 old money ).

I think you might struggle to hit the desired hot spot temperature with a 50 Watt bulb, I use 100 Watts for my 3 foot vivariums and 150 Watts for my big 6 footer as it is taller so its throwing the heat further. The further away the ground is the more powerful the bulb will need to be to heat it.

There are a few options for placing the thermostat probe but I prefer it directly under the bulb with the thermometer probe, I find it gives a constant hot spot temperature and allows the ambient to vary to give a good night time temp drop etc.

So in summary I would say unless your bulb is not or barley pointing down then you will need a higher wattage bulb. If the bulb is mounted at an angle then it may just be a simple job of pointing it down to the ground. You can pick up a ceramic bulb holder that isn't angled for a few quid off Ebay or Maplin has them too I believe.

Your ambient temps will be keeping Tilda warm enough to not be excessively worried about her while you sort this issue out but she will need her warm spot sorted out to aid digestion and topping up heat and specially in winter your bulb needs to be doing its job properly or you will really struggle to keep things habitable.
boomslang Posted - 26/08/2012 : 12:45:57
quote:
Originally posted by Fezza

What temps are you seeing at the warm side?

Do you have a picture of your setup? I'm struggling to work out how you've got it set up from the discription

Yeah need some pics,Or what size is the setup etc.Plus if the ceramic is at an angle,The heat will be directed which ever way the bulb is facing.
reptilemadd Posted - 26/08/2012 : 11:52:29
The easiest thing to try would be turn your stat up or move the probe a bit away from the heat source, if neither of those work it may be that your 50w heater isn't enough so it would need replacing for a higher watt ceramic heater, other than that I'm afraid I can't help, hope you get it sorted.
Fezza Posted - 26/08/2012 : 11:31:11
What temps are you seeing at the warm side?

Do you have a picture of your setup? I'm struggling to work out how you've got it set up from the discription

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000