The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 mice to rats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marko1973 Posted - 08/09/2012 : 12:47:37
hello there,i have a royal thats about 13 months old now and about 10weeks ago decided to try her with her first rat,anyway she took her first rat weaner straight away which i was happy with as ive been told they can be fussy about changing,anyway like i said that was 10 weeks ago then she went 8 weeks ago without eating another one,i kept trying but did not want to know,last week i gave her another rat but still not interested,so i removed it and gave her a extra large mouse and she took it straight away,so yesterday tried defrosting a rat with the mice for my other snakes to get some scent on to it,i even warmed the head and it was refused again,so i tried one of the defrosted mice and this was taken straight away again,why did she eat her first rat and refused ever since,should i just keep giving her mice and how many mice would an adult royal eat in one sitting and any other tips to get her onto rat weaners
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marko1973 Posted - 09/09/2012 : 14:52:14
thanks for the avice and i will just keep trying her on them.and hopefully she will get the taste for them
Kelfezond Posted - 09/09/2012 : 10:31:15
As long as she's eating I wouldn't worry too much she'll switch when she has to. :)
Danno91 Posted - 08/09/2012 : 13:33:14
Hmmm id just keep offering, you could try defrost with mouse heat the mouse and rat together and rubbing the mouse over the rat, if that does not work you could cut the mouse open then rub it on the rat, all of the above will transfer the scent on the mouse, I even tried to hold a rat and a small mouse at the same time to coax one of mine into taking the rat, it never worked mind you,

Eventually I gave up with scenting and just offered rats, I do heat them up slightly longer and I slightly open the Viv and aim to push the rat scent into the Viv who's I use a hair dryer to heat it up.

I also defrost my rats in the same room as the snakes,

Now as soon as I turn hair dryer on they pop there heads out of there hides and are waiting
marko1973 Posted - 08/09/2012 : 13:16:33
thanks for the reply,i would say theres not much difference in size between the xtra large mouse and the rat weaner,dont know why she eaten the first offered weaner and refused the rest maybe didnt like the taste
Danno91 Posted - 08/09/2012 : 13:12:08
Is there much of a size difference between the size of mouse you use to the weaker rat

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000