The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Not Feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kempy Posted - 09/09/2012 : 21:38:30
Hi all

I know this is a common thing for Royals, but we all worry...
Claudia has now refused her last 5 feeds. (i feed every 6 days)
She had never refused a feed before, (moved from mice to rats with no problems) and nothing has changed in her viv. She is still active and still happy to be handled.
She refused her first one as she was due to shed so i didn't think too much of it, she went on to shed well, no retention etc. But she continued to refuse food. She has always strike fed...very quickly and eagerly at that ( a few times i have barely got the rat in her viv before she is striking at it) but now she backs away when i offer her a rat and she shows absolutly no interest at all. The last 2 have been left in over night but still nothing. I tried braining the last two too but still no reaction. I am still offering her food every 6 days as per her schedule should i leave it longer before offering her another one? Also at what point should i think about offering an alternative food source, i.e hamster, gerbil etc.
So far her weight is static.

cheers.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acd1984 Posted - 10/09/2012 : 16:08:06
when mine is on fast he completely ignores the rat and tries to get out to explore but each snake is different, one thing that makes them awesome :)
Lorraine Posted - 10/09/2012 : 11:32:01
I'm having the same problem with my Oscar. I posted before as I was worried, but a fast is a fast and apparently can happen any time they feel like it. I thought it was just winter. Oscar hasn't eaten since 27th July and reacts just like yours.
coxcats Posted - 09/09/2012 : 22:23:05
Sas hasnt eaten for 5 weeks. He comes out when Im hairdrying, sniffs the rat then goes back in his house. When he does eat, he doesnt strike, he just takes it with a look that says 'thanks mum'!
chrisc Posted - 09/09/2012 : 22:17:55
when my little royal fasted he was the same an shyed away from any food offered but took the occasional feed then strike fed every time when he started eating again
Kempy Posted - 09/09/2012 : 22:13:07
"plenty of weight reserves then"

yeah she is a heave bodied snake (who said fat?).

To be honest its the not the refusing per se that concerns me as i know this typical of Royals its the behaviour she exhibits when i offer the food. like i say she was always a very eager feeder bordering on aggressive but now she backs away and retreats to her hide. If i take her hide away to "encourage" her she balls up and cowers away from the food. But As i soon remove the food she relaxes and comes to my hand.
Its as though she is scared of the rat all of a sudden.

How does the behaviour of others alter when they are fasting is this normal?
chrisc Posted - 09/09/2012 : 22:02:59
plenty of weight reserves then long as she doesnt lose more that 10-15% of her body weight theres no need to worry, she may surprise you by taking the odd feed now and then.
Kempy Posted - 09/09/2012 : 21:55:54
She is around 20 months and weighs 1125g
She last fed on 13 Aug!
chrisc Posted - 09/09/2012 : 21:42:58
how old an what weight is she?
sounds like shes just coming up to the breeding season fast i start offering every 10-14 days and monitor her weight like you are already doing

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000