The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Female wont eat rats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sw1fty84 Posted - 17/09/2012 : 19:46:27
My CB11 Normal Female wont eats rats!
And so being isnt putting weight on very well.
Is there a way of getting her on to rats or im i stuck with mice?? She was fed on mice in the shop i brought her from.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jimmer7 Posted - 21/09/2012 : 22:38:41
Hi had some prob with male, I kept rat and mice together and left them out to defrost all day, and about half hour before feeding placed them on top of viv, then before offering the rat I dip the head into some hot water to warm the head, not to hot, and then offered it , that worked for me, also if the food item was 15% body weight he may not feed for 10 days but smaller feeds every 7 days. He is year old now and weighs 756g.
Sw1fty84 Posted - 21/09/2012 : 21:56:41
Well im going to try the hair dryer trick with her this weekend and see how i get on. She hasnt eaten in 4weeks and due to the low fat content of the mice she has been eating she is getting a bit slim! If i cant get her on the rats ill just have to feed her more often on mice instead
JanieW Posted - 18/09/2012 : 12:04:18
I guess we were lucky with Slinky.

I had made the decision from the start to keep him on increasing sizes of mice until 1 yr old, but then at 11mnths when stock running low, we offered a small rat which he struck with gusto..really made no difference except that he swallows the rats a lot faster..he used to mess around with mice.

I always take the rat out of the freezer in the morning, placed in a small freezer bag, then 10 mins before feeding place the bag in a cup of hot tap water (not boiling) never had issues feeding.
hodgie Posted - 18/09/2012 : 10:45:22
You could well be stuck with a mouse feeder as I am. My oldest female who is now 4 shows absolutely no interest in rats and its not funny when she's nearly 2 kg. I have tried every method even down to just offering rats for a 6 month period, she showed no interest, but put a mouse in and she will strike everytime. So what I've been doing for the last 3 years is give her a mouse and as its just going down hold a rat and gently place its nose on the mouses bum and 9 times out of 10 she will take it all as 1 feed.
boomslang Posted - 17/09/2012 : 23:27:43
All of the above I've never had any problem with my lot.

If nothing works try blackskulls idea,But still heat the rat/scent it with mice scent etc etc etc.could try feeding outside the viv in a rub,then leave him and the rat in a dark place for 10/15 mins.
Cookie Posted - 17/09/2012 : 21:29:26
I had a lot of problems getting one of my dudes to eat at all! Just when he felt like it and he never struck in the 5 years I've had him. Then i made the mistake of heating the rats for too long. When i went to put it into the viv, it kinda opened lol(boke ano soz), then before I knew it my dude came out and struck for the very first time! I was amazed lol..

Not that I recommend this lol Normally I just leave them above the heat source on the viv for a good few hours until they defrost, then use a hairdryer, works a treat for me :)

blackskull Posted - 17/09/2012 : 21:13:14
I warm all the food for the snakes with a hairdryer.

When i was switching my adult male from mice to rats i just stopped offering him mice and only offered weaner rats. I must stress that he was of good condition when i did this and i wasn't worried about him not eating for a while. It took a couple of months for him to take one and i feed him on the remainder of the weaners then increased to small rats. It took a couple of offerings until he took one of these. I feed him on this size for a few months then offered medium rats. He refused only the first on but now continues to eat this size only refuseing every now and then
Sassenach Posted - 17/09/2012 : 20:31:14
I'll be keeping an eye on this topic too as my girl apparently won't touch rats either (according to previous owner). Mind you, she's not taken anything since I've had her. I reckon she got a sniff of my Chinese takeaway the day I got her and she's just holding out for a share now !
jonoandapril Posted - 17/09/2012 : 20:24:19
A lot ofpeople hairdry their rats which makes the smell fill the room a bit. Apparently it works?
blackskull Posted - 17/09/2012 : 20:00:30
Have you defrosred a rat and mouse together then rub the mouse over the rat to put the scent on it
HaydenK Posted - 17/09/2012 : 19:58:51
how do you warm the rat up before feeding the snake? this can differ the smell if you use different techniques ;)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000