The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Ceramic bulbs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonnyc1988 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 19:39:05
Just a question about ceramic bulbs. How long do they generally last? and do they die gradually?
Ive never had a problem keeping temps but the last couple of days my temp has gone down to 26 degrees C. Ive put the thermostat on full blast and its not made a difference. My analog display is actually still reading 30, but my komodo digital I installed in about June now says 26 degrees.
Im using an exo terra 150 watt ceramic bulb (3 foot viv) with habistat pulse proportional stat. got both probes for thermometer and stat next to each other, directly under the ceramic bulb.

Seems odd that it still works but wont get hot enough. I thought the bulb would just completely blow?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cookie Posted - 28/09/2012 : 23:16:40
Well if natural light does the job i'll stick with that... my electric bill is high enough running three tanks lol
Baobab Posted - 22/09/2012 : 01:45:03
We use an infrared for slinky. It provides perfect heat, with a dimming stat and lovely visual at night. Down to personal preference really,I like it. Although its the only viv we use this with.
Tiggy Posted - 22/09/2012 : 01:37:10
How does an infra red bulb compare to a ceramic then? (just out of curiosity)
blackskull Posted - 21/09/2012 : 19:26:04
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie

Sorry to invade on your topic but just wondering if when using a ceramic bulb is an actual light source still required? I have just been using the ceramic and they get their natural light from the windows lol... they have been totally fine like this too...

no you don't have to use a light source natural light is fine. Personaly i choose to have a light source in my vivs (i use ceramics). I just use household energy saving bulbs, guarded
Cookie Posted - 21/09/2012 : 19:14:21
Sorry to invade on your topic but just wondering if when using a ceramic bulb is an actual light source still required? I have just been using the ceramic and they get their natural light from the windows lol... they have been totally fine like this too...
jonnyc1988 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 21:12:21
Oh and thanks for the help everyone.... how rude of me!!!
jonnyc1988 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 21:11:47
I will have to try and get one of those IR temp guns. Then i can see which of my thermometers is lying to me lol.
carlb1981 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 20:45:37
I use the komodo one and its done the trick for me i also have ir temp gun and it reads not much different to the komodo unit. all my rubs have lucky reptile dual probe thermometers only a fiver or so each
Lotabob Posted - 20/09/2012 : 20:44:51
Your thermometer has probably frozen, take the battery out and then put it back in again. Mine do it from time to time.
blackskull Posted - 20/09/2012 : 20:28:35
I haven't changed a ceramic in nearly 2yrs, i use the lucky reptile dark spot ones.

As for digi therms i get mine off ebay, can't send link as on my phone. Im sure the seller is fortex. I have about 15 and had no issue with them. They are only around 3 quid each
Danno91 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 20:26:30
I ordered alot of cheap mast ones from china, never had a problem with them but they are not really fit for purpose,

I have not got one myself but a infra red heat gun will give you a TRUE reading,
jonnyc1988 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 20:21:58
Yeah it feels warm enough, Ive moved thermostat back to 32 degrees just incase its overheating. Ive got the exo terra anolog thermometer still in there but i never really trusted that either. Is there a thermometer anyone can recommend that is really accurate?

btw I really dont recommend getting the komodo digital thermometer/hygrometer. Its rubbish, its obviously made by another company and meant for the inside and outside of a house, but komodo have just stamped their logo on it.
Danno91 Posted - 20/09/2012 : 19:45:15
Does it feel hot below the bulb if so id say the thermometer maybe faulty can you test with another one ?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000