The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 BEDDING

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
donjolly8947 Posted - 07/10/2012 : 19:50:38
ASPEN OR WOODCHIPS IM USING WOODCHIPS AT MO
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sassenach Posted - 18/10/2012 : 19:57:00
One of my work colleagues keeps his corns on astroturf type stuff. He reckons it's quick and easy to clean and helps them with their shedding too. Doesn't seem to be a popular choice on here though. Not suitable for larger snakes (or not suitable at all)?
diamond royal Posted - 11/10/2012 : 20:16:07
mine are all on aspen, and it works very well, but im interested in this cat litter you use, as its half the cost of aspen.
KingKenny Posted - 08/10/2012 : 21:25:48
I'm with Discoveray on this one biocatolet is great stuff , looks good ,is very absorbent and cheap aswell.
coxcats Posted - 08/10/2012 : 20:18:30
Just thought I'd add that the kitchen roll I use is quilted. lol. They prefer it to the cheap hard stuff!
jimmer7 Posted - 08/10/2012 : 19:52:01
Hi I just started using lignocel as I can't get kritter crumble no more, it's dust free and easy to spot clean, I think it looks better than aspen.I paid £20 for 12..5kg from world wild reptiles , plus I use it for the hognose aswell.
donjolly8947 Posted - 08/10/2012 : 17:06:01
thanks for all your help im thinking of having a reptile show for charity just wondering if any one lives in hampshire ludgershall area ho could make it
Cookie Posted - 08/10/2012 : 16:25:22
I use news paper, so handy and cheap obviously. Not the best looking though but times are hard so what can you do lol. That BIO CATOLET sounds interesting... might get a look into that..
Kelfezond Posted - 08/10/2012 : 16:24:47
Newspaper for me :)
coxcats Posted - 08/10/2012 : 16:11:19
Kitchen roll for my babies!
Dixon Posted - 08/10/2012 : 14:19:42
I haven't used it yet but was thinking of trying lignocel. Has anyone got any comments or experience of it as I hear it's pretty cheap and softer than the aspen I use at present with less sharp pieces, should they be injested.
DISCOVERAYL17 Posted - 08/10/2012 : 13:56:46
Hi, I use a cat litter thats called BIO CATOLET, its cheap (£9.99)for 25ltr from pets at home it looks natural and is very absorbant.It is made out of old newspaper so will not harm your snake. I have been using it for a couple of years and it is by miles the best substrate I have ever used
Ads Posted - 08/10/2012 : 13:28:20
We use hemp bedding at the mo, very little dust but it is quite absorbant so may stick to snake food but we have not had a problem with that yet
jonoandapril Posted - 08/10/2012 : 08:00:27
I use shredded paper, cheap as chips if you shred your mail. Just a bit of hassle Woh having to Hoover every time I go into the snake room due to it getting stuck to my socks!
acd1984 Posted - 08/10/2012 : 05:21:35
After using bark, critters crumble and aspen, I think aspen is the easiest to work with. The other two are too moist and have brought my snakes into early shed when not baked
Lotabob Posted - 07/10/2012 : 23:13:43
I use Megazorb. lol. Its pulp. Great stuff and CHEAP.
Jayde Posted - 07/10/2012 : 21:52:19
It's not on your list, but I use orchid bark for my royals, and forest bedding for my corns (very much like aspen, just slightly more dense and attractive) I personally prefer darker substrates, but the main reason I use orchid bark is that it holds the humidity better when I give extra sprays during shed, and I find that on a day to day basis It holds general humidity wonderfully, and needs no additional spritzing, unless it's been an exceptionally warm day, which as we know, is rare!
(in winter I may do one or 2 spritz every few days as the central heating sometimes causes the air to dry out a little, but I guess this is dependant on each household and their heating usage and where vivs are positioned in relation to the rooms heat source)

However I do understand that for people with larger collections, using a bulk buy of aspen is the cheaper and more economical option, than the average price of buying a bag or 2 of orchid bark. Guess it all depends on what you want to use and how you want your viv/rub to look.
chrisc Posted - 07/10/2012 : 21:40:13
i keep all my boas on aspen
Fezza Posted - 07/10/2012 : 21:30:46
My first rehomed royal had beech chips when we got him. I didn't mind them, just easier to get a 25kg bag of aspen and have all the royals on the same substrate (even the hedgehog Lol)

The boa is on orchid bark and the green tree python is on paper towels

chrisc Posted - 07/10/2012 : 21:25:41
aspen can be a little dusty when you chuck it in the viv i just let it settle before putting the snake in.
personally i wont use wood chips as a bit of aspen can be digested but a few chunks of wood chip could cause a problem
rockroyal Posted - 07/10/2012 : 21:18:00
I use kitchen roll

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000