The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help quick please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Falice Posted - 19/10/2012 : 22:15:07
Hi guys, i got my first ever royal wednesday, and today he has shed, it looks as if he is still in the middle of it but its all come off in bits. I had a quick look at him without trying to disturb him too much and theres still some left on his head including around one of his eyes.
My question is what shall I do? I was thinking leave him for tonight to see if he gets the main bits off. Then maybe try and bath him tomoro? or something of the sort to try and get the rest off. Obviously I was hoping to be leave him completely alone for a week but if he still has shed left around his head/tail I want to get it off asap.
What would u experienced royal keepers suggest? I'm only worrying a little bit cuz hes so new and my only other snake sheds perfectly almost every time.
Help please! Thanku in advance
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 20/10/2012 : 18:43:09
no problem, hopefully he feeds for you
Falice Posted - 20/10/2012 : 18:39:01
yaaay, so glad it's all off. Thanks for all your help much appreciated I just hope his first feed with me goes a bit better than the shed did!
chrisc Posted - 20/10/2012 : 18:25:03
glad its all off now yes they are called spurs sometimes the shed can get stuck round that area if i remember right the spurs grow from layers of skin left each time they shed.
yep that is the other eye cap so all good
Falice Posted - 20/10/2012 : 18:18:04
i did and tbh it was a bit of a nightmare but i managed it, I did the pillowcase thing last night, and it didnt really do a lot but it was getting late so i put him in his viv for the night, and cuz he was moist he managed to get a lot off my himself which was good. But I did the pillowcase thing again this morning, which was better than last night, then i kind of held him using the pillowcase and let him slither through my hands and he basically used my hand to get the rest off the shed off. It took a little while but it all came off in the end =] I was a bit worried about the bit around the spurs (is that what they're called?) but that came off ok as well.
Also is this bit an eye cap? I know one of them came off yesterday and im pretty sure this is the other one.

He was really calm throughout the whole thing though which was great =]
ppl_clectr Posted - 20/10/2012 : 13:14:42
I like to use a warm, damp wash cloth and a little snake massage. They don't always love it ;)
chrisc Posted - 20/10/2012 : 11:09:07
did you manage to get the shed off?
chrisc Posted - 19/10/2012 : 23:48:25
no problem hopefully it all comes off easy
Falice Posted - 19/10/2012 : 23:40:35
ok thanku very much ill get on it right now
chrisc Posted - 19/10/2012 : 23:03:24
if hes got retained shed then you need to help him even if youve had him 2 days.
yea get a pillow case wet with warm water then ring it right out so its just damp as if its really wet the air cant get through to well then plonk him in an tie the top.
leave him in a rub or box for the 10 minutes
Falice Posted - 19/10/2012 : 22:40:53
Thanks very much guys, That link was really helpful I should have seen it before. So even though he's only been here a couple of days it's fine for me to get him out and try some things? I think ill try the pillowcase thing first I don't wanna stress him out more than is necessary. So to clarify, I would just pop him in a damp pillowcase and tie it up completely and leave him for 10 mins...in the viv or not?
Pythonwizard Posted - 19/10/2012 : 22:20:51
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3004

chrisc Posted - 19/10/2012 : 22:20:35
if it was me and hes has stopped sheding but theres still bits stuck to him i would put him in a bath for 10 minutes or so then gently peel/roll off the shed.
if theres some left after this put him into a damp pillow case with the top tied for 10 minutes, the damp an friction as he moves helps get the shed off.

acctually before you try bathing him get him out and try to gently roll the bits of shed off, as hes just been sheding the old skin will still be moist so should come off with ease.
for the eye/eyecap get a cotton wool bud and some warm water then very gently work the skin off

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000