The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 heat mats in viv's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rockroyal Posted - 28/10/2012 : 13:14:32
Am I right in thinking as long as I secure the heat mat to the inside viv floor and fix the stat probe on the heat mat everything will be ok
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
markmifsud Posted - 30/10/2012 : 10:02:28
Like a rub, there are some viv's that have a slot underneath to fit a mat externally, stopping direct contact between your snake and the mat.
GMac Posted - 29/10/2012 : 19:32:23
rubs dont rest directly on the mats there is a small gap usually.
boomslang Posted - 29/10/2012 : 03:02:50
I've had afew mats develop heat spots to.Where one spot would be super hot,and the rest cold.

But i wasn't using them for snake vivs.
rockroyal Posted - 29/10/2012 : 02:34:08
Can I ask why its ok to use heat mats with rubs then?? My 2 are in 50L rubs at the moment with the mats underneath the bottom of the rub and the stat probe inside the rub atop of the mats. I'm guessing its because snakey can't come into direct contact with the mat that makes it ok.
Please don't shoot me down in flames I know its a silly question.
GMac Posted - 28/10/2012 : 21:54:38
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

quote:
Originally posted by GMac

if you have a spare heatmat, you dont need a stat for this part ;). turn the mat on and leave a large book on one half of the mat, leave it for half hour or hour then check the temps on the mat at both sides.

or turn the mat on and press your hand onto it take your other hand on the other side you will feel the difference.

And no there is no way i would use a mat for a large bodied snake.

it does work better with a stat and cover the mat well away from the stat probe, but without stat is just as effective.

nor would i, will give that a try later ive got a spare mat lying around

chrisc Posted - 28/10/2012 : 21:52:37
quote:

if you have a spare heatmat, you dont need a stat for this part ;). turn the mat on and leave a large book on one half of the mat, leave it for half hour or hour then check the temps on the mat at both sides.

or turn the mat on and press your hand onto it take your other hand on the other side you will feel the difference.

nor would i, will give that a try later ive got a spare mat lying around
GMac Posted - 28/10/2012 : 21:50:33

chrisc Posted - 28/10/2012 : 21:46:16
quote:

thermal blocking has got nothing to do with covering all the mat. its the weight on the mat that causes it no matter how much / little is covered.

ah right i always thought it was to do with too much of the mat being covered.
theres a couple of people who are on a facebook group who use heatmats with adult boas in 6ft viv's one said they have used this setup for about 8 years not something i would ever consider doing
GMac Posted - 28/10/2012 : 21:38:53
thermal blocking has got nothing to do with covering all the mat. its the weight on the mat that causes it no matter how much / little is covered.
chrisc Posted - 28/10/2012 : 21:24:27
i use heatmats inside the viv with the female bull snake and the little crawl cay boa long as they dont cover all of the mat its ok but they will be having ceramics once they get moved into different vivs
Lotabob Posted - 28/10/2012 : 20:48:13
I love ceramics, I honestly couldn't picture using anything else to heat my vivs. I've tried everything but AHS heaters and find ceramics by far the best.
AndyJ80 Posted - 28/10/2012 : 19:34:05
Larger royals as Gmac said could get hurt quite seriously. Go with ceramics :-)
boomslang Posted - 28/10/2012 : 19:10:35
I use a mat with my corn,Under his glass viv.But always found bulbs etc,A lot less hassle then mats inside a viv.
rockroyal Posted - 28/10/2012 : 13:25:51
I'm taking gmac's advice! There in 50l RUB's but want them in 3foot viv's so ceramics it is then
carlb1981 Posted - 28/10/2012 : 13:19:30
It will be ok for smaller snakes but when they start getting heavier you'll be better swapping to a bulb, going for a bulb from the start would be the best option in my opinion. How were you planning on fixing the mat to bottom of viv?
GMac Posted - 28/10/2012 : 13:19:08
mats and royals really shouldn't be used together. With heatmats and royals there is always a risk of thermal blocking on the mat which could end with a burned royal.

Lights / ceramics is the best heating option for royals.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000