The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Echo aka satan!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
diesel Posted - 01/08/2009 : 10:42:26
i posted on here about getting bit by 1 of my royals (the fussy eater) echo, and was told with handling she would settle but she has got worse she strikes at me constantly!! she will even strike at me when she sees me pass, she strikes and hits the side of the rub
shes fine once shes out and is lovely an a nice royal you put her in her rub and she turns into satan,
iv even gone as far as putting Indy in with her as they always get on well when they out together and that settled her for a bit towards me but now shes back to it but only strikes now if i go in to get her or Indy (its as tho shes protecting her as well as her rub now) oh they both females as well,
iv tried taking Indy out but satan (echo) wont let me grrrrr
(Indys out as of last nights feed and bites to my hand) how can i get her out of this viv aggression?

putting Indy in with her did stop it for a few days and she was happy and a sweet girl again and was happy for me to look in on them and even take her out but now shes possesed again (however its spelt)

the rub has 2 large hides an hot end and 2 in the cold end, with lots of plants (plastic) temps spot on and so is hymidity (my spellings bad today) if i take the lid of she hisses so i wait a min to settle i then go to look and she strikes at my face which aint good,

she has got worse from last night, it was feed day for her she wont eat out of the rub so i got a warm rat and went to put it in and she struk at it about 4/5 times before she took it and this seems to have made her worse, she aint going into shed so its not as if she aint seeing clearly,
sorry for the rant but i really need help with her i cant have a royal thats gonna grow up (when she does) thats gonna strike at my kids it aint fair on them
can someone please advice and help
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
diesel Posted - 01/08/2009 : 16:31:56
oh and today when was changing her water she was striking at me and she turned herself over showing me her belly (looked like what a dog does to submiss) not to move away from where she was tho but why???
diesel Posted - 01/08/2009 : 16:25:51
iv talked to the guy i got her from and he says if she strikes still pick her up other wise am teaching her that a strike means no pick up etc,
shes not in a high traffic area as my kids wont go near her or the same room as her cause of the striking lol my cats have the hallways only (1 has huge mental problems and if he is in a room where pep are he goes loopy and will hurt himself and i mean actually mental problems)the dogs are always in the garden or kennel and cant get to them or same room as them anyway so i dont think its that oh and fudge the bird has been band from the house by OH

and i know i aint gonna get a quick fix to this problem and i know she needs her confidence in me building up and to realise i aint food or aint gonna hurt her, its just really sad to see that she dont seem happy she was when i put Indy with her for a while she stopped striking and was easy to handle and would come and flick her tounge on my hand when changing water etc but that didnt last (iv been told today that she was kept with another female royal before i got her so i think thats why she settled for awhile)

i always talk to all my snakeys if someone came in at that point i think id get locked away as a nutter lmao, even when she hisses i talk to her and tell her theres no need for it etc (i think she even thinks iv lost the plot)
do you think if i invest in a thick glove to start with as her teeth might be small but they give a nasty cut as she pulls away be a bad idea?? (only till i get her out then take it off), and do the cloth with my smell on it and fingers crossed she dont get worse still

she did bite abit to start with when i got her out but if i then got Indy out and she smelt and saw her she settled down and with a few trys she stopped that cause she knew Indy was coming out to i think,

iv had her about 4weeks now so not to long but it seems each week she gets worse, she wouldnt feed the first week even tho due a feed but i wasnt so bothered she didnt take, the 2nd i got her to eat with a few trys and semi gutted rat pup and then she fed again on a semi gutted then last night she was very snappy at the rat pup as if it wasnt food and it was something that was gonna hurt her and she had to defend herself,
could this have upset her and made her worse as she has been alot worse since last night?? and why would she act scared and defensive towards her food than rather just "kill" it??
wolfspirit Posted - 01/08/2009 : 15:32:29
ok, dont know if this will help, but i sometimes get this with Bliss, but it is NOT me that makes her do this.

It is her total fear of my other animals, moreso my cats than the dogs.

For instance took a rat in to feed her today, approach her viv and she was striking the glass.

turned around and my cat was behind me, did not realise he was in the room, scooted him out, gave Bliss sometime to calm down and offered the rat, i dropped it in as she was still a little stressed, noticed she was still fixated on my bed and still in semi strike mode....

checked again and my other cat was under the bed, turfed her out, slowly opened the viv doors and talked to her quietly, within minutes she struck the rat and ate it.

Bliss has only been with me four weeks, and there is a lot for her to adjust to, she only strikes through fear, she is much better now than she was.

To help her, i cover her viv at night and the cats are only allowed in my room normally when i am there.

Even when the dogs park themselves outsife my bedroom door she gets stressed, and it is going to take time for her to adjust to all this.

I am guessing your royal is also striking out of fear and it will take time to give her the confidence she needs.

Even if she is striking i would still pick her up. Maybe putting in a peice of clothing with your scent on will help, talk to her when your near so she gets used to you.

Is she in a high traffic area? lots of noise or other animals/people around?

antw23uk Posted - 01/08/2009 : 15:13:17
It sounds like this will be a work in progress and there isnt a quick fix. Just patience and regular handling.

My little 09 is a bit of a striker but i generally put it down to him just wanting to eat everything and anything that moves but i do work with him in and around his RUB and he is slowly getting better (but is still viv/ RUB defensive)

I hadnt really thought about curing him of this, what i have accepted is this is a long process and is something that needs to be worked with on a long term basis with the understanding he might always be defensive when getting him out/ changing water etc
Blackecho Posted - 01/08/2009 : 11:09:40
How long have you had her now?

The fact that she's eating is a good sign, she's just going to take some time
diesel Posted - 01/08/2009 : 10:53:24
they are NOT together now i did put that, and the only reason i did was cause she was aggressive while out as well unless indy was out as well so thought if it settled her out of viv it might settle her in viv which it did do for a short while but as soon as she started again indy was out,

the rub is 17inx10in and she has a open space bit in the mid between the warm and cold, so that the warm and cold area are nice and closed in for her, its set up the same as indys rub and indy loves attention
matty18714 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 10:44:41
First off, seperate the snakes. I cant see how having them together will make it any easier to calm the aggressive one.

How much open space is there in the RUB?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000