The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 humidity..in lil viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
punumbear Posted - 12/08/2009 : 17:09:51
Is 61-63% ok, or would a tad more air circulation be advisable?? has two vents in viv already
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punumbear Posted - 17/08/2009 : 23:52:56
i have finally cut a large piece out of the roof of lil viv and put a large vent on.. so im hoping that will make a hugh difference.. not using the viv for a lil while longer but will put glass doors back on and stick hygrometer in there just to see what it stabilises at say maybe over a day n night.If all is well ill try her again but cant do anything atm as she is in shed mode again and still eating well .
Vazzza Posted - 17/08/2009 : 12:03:46
yeah its a digi hydrowhatsit.

I'll get the drill out tonight. Gary hasn't fed yet as i've only had him since Friday. I'll let him settle then will try his first feed on Thursday/Friday, whenever i can borrow my other halfs hair dryer! Especially keen as he hasn't ate since the 1st according to the sheet i was supplied. He has shed since tho which is why i assume he hasn't eaten.

My heats sit at anything between 28 and 31c in the hot end and about 27 in the cooler. Gary actually spends most his time in the hide in the cool end so i'm not overly worried about the heat not quite being high enough. (I have just answered my own question there haven't I, sorry!)
wolfspirit Posted - 17/08/2009 : 11:23:03
room humidity is fine,

is that a digital hydgrometer your using?

the humidity needs to come down...driling a couple of holes wont make that much difference as heat mats dont really heat the air..

what temps are being attained inside the rub? the one next to me in the viv is currently sitting at 30.5 so will probably be a bit warmer in her hide..

As long as the drop is not drastic and your royal is feeding you should be ok..
Vazzza Posted - 17/08/2009 : 11:18:36
I'm having a bit of problem with humidity in my RUB as well. It's pretty constant at 65-75%. The problem i have is that i struggle to keep the heat above 30c. So if i drill more holes to bring the humidity down i'll have even more trouble retaining heat...

At the moment I'm using 2 heat mats, one under the RUB as you should, but then when the heat drops i add a heat mat on top of the RUB on a very low heat, just to help retain the heat that is already there.

So, is it a case of which is more important to be right, can i live with extra humidity to ensure the heat is right, or should i sacrifice heat for humidity. I had the hydrometer out in my room last night just for interest, and my room sits at 60% so getting below that will be impossible...
bikesfred54 Posted - 13/08/2009 : 11:44:40
when we had our hatchling in a rub on kitchen roll the humidity went up when she had a pee.but would come back down when we changed her bed.
punumbear Posted - 13/08/2009 : 02:29:16
ok moved her back to faun for now gonna get big vent for roof of viv asap.. oh well i tried shall sort n try again in a month or so
punumbear Posted - 12/08/2009 : 23:53:18
ok have just moved water bowl right down to cool end and hum gauge reading 64% so see if any diff by morn.
punumbear Posted - 12/08/2009 : 23:45:11
removed all moss from all of em b4 i moved her to viv... i shall move water bowl.... but there is no mist showing on doors.. or moisture that i can see anywhere.i even moved gauge head further down the back wall to see if hum levels any diff.. went upstairs after sorting perspex door and its gone up to 68%.. so hmmmm got a fan being dropped off tomorrow morn so see if that makes a difference if it don`t ill move her back to faun and sort viv with lots of vents.
wolfspirit Posted - 12/08/2009 : 20:51:31
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

just out of curiosity could it be a damp bit of aspen, perspex is like plastic isnt it?

Perspex (PMMA) is a plastic, yes.

well my rubs mist up with any moisture in them, so could that then be a possible cause?

also, how big an area are we talking about ? i am thinking about the position of the water bowl or moss box if you have them in there and maybe a smaller water bowl if it is in a small home.
Blackecho Posted - 12/08/2009 : 19:53:32
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

just out of curiosity could it be a damp bit of aspen, perspex is like plastic isnt it?

Perspex (PMMA) is a plastic, yes.
wolfspirit Posted - 12/08/2009 : 19:45:14

maybe if there is a damp spot it could, and only could be making it mist up with the heat from below...
punumbear Posted - 12/08/2009 : 19:00:02
yus i reckon so ... am just gonna sort perspex door with circulation holes as don`t want it staying like that any longer..cheers BE
Blackecho Posted - 12/08/2009 : 18:46:20
Maybe you just need a few more holes.
punumbear Posted - 12/08/2009 : 18:00:55
LOL no dials BE all of em are set up with digitally.. have moved viv off top of other two.. n sorted plugs out so shall see if it settles. if not ill do extra ventilation
Blackecho Posted - 12/08/2009 : 17:47:56
How are you measuring the humidity? - If by dial then they are pretty useless.

punumbear Posted - 12/08/2009 : 17:39:54
WE nah no orchid bark they all on aspen.. kinda guessing it could be that she is on top of my two 3ft vivs and they have heat lamps so that could be affecting the humidity!!! cant move her atm as thats only plug socket in my room.
Blackecho Posted - 12/08/2009 : 17:37:11
As above, 50-60% is fine, so a little more ventilation maybe.
wolfspirit Posted - 12/08/2009 : 17:30:49
room humidity should be all you need around fifty percent,

what is making yours so high? are you using orchid bark?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000