The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Grumpy snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
curly Posted - 26/08/2009 : 20:32:02
My snake is eating baby mice 3 times a week. I fed it yesterday but it is still striking out at the glass of the vivarium whenever anything passes it. It is laying in it's water bowl and staring at the glass. I regularly handle my snake, but because of this behavious have not held it for the last week. Does anyone know what could be the reason for this?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 27/08/2009 : 06:13:45
I agree with the above, I have mine at 30-32C with no night drop.
spor Posted - 26/08/2009 : 23:41:04
Yeah all has been said above. Defo go on to larger food, you should only have to be feeding every 5-7days. 2ft viv if fine for the lenght of your snake as well. Perhaps your hide and water bowl are just to big. I assume by the 12 at night and the now 25 you are talking degrees Celsius just your day time temp you gave in Fahrenheit.

25Cis 77F which I know alot of stuff you can read says that it ok for temps to drop to 75F at night but it is not necessary . most viv temps will drop a bit at night anyway as the air in the house is cooler.

http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/ here is a useful temp convert handy to have on your computer. good luck with rat pups.

and as said just above. stop handling so much. at least until you have got him/her well settled and on larger food.
matty18714 Posted - 26/08/2009 : 23:15:08
theres not much that I can add apart from stop handling it. Leave it alone. As for sexing, ask your local rep shop (but dont bother any time soon).
curly Posted - 26/08/2009 : 23:05:46
The climate control has a day and night thermostat, the night one only goes up to 25 and I've now set it at this. Stumpy's well rounded and eyes are bright and alert, I would not let it starve. It's currently laying in the pocket of my sweatsirt with it's head peeking out and there's another small mouse defrosting ready for it. Tomorrow I shall be back at the pet shop buying rat fluffs. Thanks Blackecho for all the great advice.
Gingerpony Posted - 26/08/2009 : 22:52:49
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:
Originally posted by curly

I use a climate control thermostat set at 85 during the day and 12 at night

12????

ok so it's starving.......... and freezing!!
Blackecho Posted - 26/08/2009 : 22:51:48
You need a hide at each end and you should be able to fit them into a 2' viv.

I would feed rat fluffs or very small weaners around 20g.
curly Posted - 26/08/2009 : 22:49:33
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading through the DIY page and it looks like my viv may be too small. I've just given my 4ft viv to my brother for his bearded dragon and bought this one when I got Stumpy. Looks like I need to make the viv more snake friendly than at present. I've a hide one end and a water bowl the other - and that's the total floor space. I was told not to bother with branches (yes they went to my brother too). Being a new owner of a Royal all your advice on keeping Stumpy healthy and happy is welcome.

The heat mat will be coming back out again (I previously had a corn snake but mum was nervous of it so it went to a new homeut mum likes Stumpy!) and the night temperature turned up. What would you suggest is best to feed it.

BTW, how do I sex it?
Blackecho Posted - 26/08/2009 : 22:31:03
quote:

Stumpy is about 27 inches long and weighes 'roughly' 160g. I have a 2ft vivarium with a large heavy waterbowl, and a hide. I use a climate control thermostat set at 85 during the day and 12 at night - this was the temperature set at the pet shop.

12????
lee2308 Posted - 26/08/2009 : 21:31:23
you need 2 hides in the viv,one at each end.I wouldnt go by the temps on the thermostat dial,you need digital thermometer and have the floor temp at the warm end between 88-90 and woudnt bother droping the temps at night.
Gingerpony Posted - 26/08/2009 : 21:12:35
saw your thread in the 'intros'.......... i'm guessing it's absolutely starving!!!
curly Posted - 26/08/2009 : 21:11:22
Stumpy is about 27 inches long and weighes 'roughly' 160g. I have a 2ft vivarium with a large heavy waterbowl, and a hide. I use a climate control thermostat set at 85 during the day and 12 at night - this was the temperature set at the pet shop.
madmez Posted - 26/08/2009 : 20:53:04
How long is stumpy
Weight
tank size-temps-hides
lights
need all your details
curly Posted - 26/08/2009 : 20:47:20
Feeding it small mice. Had my snake nearly 2 months and was told it was last year's hatchling - but do not know exact age.
quote:

My snake is eating baby mice 3 times a week. I fed it yesterday but it is still striking out at the glass of the vivarium whenever anything passes it. It is laying in it's water bowl and staring at the glass. I regularly handle my snake, but because of this behavious have not held it for the last week. Does anyone know what could be the reason for this?

Blackecho Posted - 26/08/2009 : 20:40:24
Hungry maybe?

When you say baby mice, do you mean pinkies?

Even Royal hatchlings are fine on Small Mice or Rat Pups.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000