The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New snake keeper needs help please!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Della Posted - 27/08/2009 : 20:42:32
My son (19yrs) has adopted a Royal Python from a friend who felt bad cos she didnt give the snake much attention, he has lived with us in our lounge for approx 6 weeks. He was very placid and quite quiet when he arrived, he is feeding well and comes out of the tank most days to sit with my son for 1/2 hour or so. The last 2 nights as my husband and I sit and watch the TV he is very active, and clearly looking for an escape route. Unfortunately we are not brave enough when he is so active to let him out as we are afraid that he might slip away from us or even turn on us if he was prevented from stretching. He has not hissed at all since he has been with us and appears happy , do you think he just wants to come out and play, or are we disturbing his sleep time with the TV and making him cross ! Not being used to snake behaviour, I would like someone to let me know if all is well, we love him dearly already so if we are doing something wrong for him, what could it be ?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robert Posted - 30/08/2009 : 22:37:04
I am pleased you are able to handle him :) he will get used to you in time, I always wash my hands in carex before I habdle my snakes and that way they know it's me and not food !! - lol, I hope that you manage to raise the temp a bit which is important, but he sounds like he is content if he is feeding so well:)
spor Posted - 28/08/2009 : 22:00:24
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

70 is way way too low,even for the cool end,you need to be aiming for around 90 in the warm end

as above. really you need to have your temps from 80F in the cool end to 90F at the warm end.

Weather he was used to 70f doesn't matter. Over the next few days you could start to raise the temps up a few degrees at a time.

How are you heating the viv and what kind of thermostat are you using?
Are you using digital thermometers?
lee2308 Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:20:15
70 is way way too low,even for the cool end,you need to be aiming for around 90 in the warm end
Della Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:12:20
Thanks for all of the great advice, I am able to handle him no problem,just a bit wary. He feeds on a small rat every week without hesitation, temp is constant 70, that's what he is used to from the previous owner, we will try a cover on the viv, see how he likes that, he seems to watch the TV with us at the start(curled up in his log with his head just leaning out) so maybe he just doesn't like our viewing choices, lol!! Thanks again everyone.
MissCat Posted - 28/08/2009 : 16:56:22
Ra stopped feeding when i moved him to a quiet room, now he's in the corner of the living room (the quietest corner though, where people only pass if they are going to see him lol) he feeds everytime, doesnt seem stressed. spends all his time in one of his hides sticks his head out once or twice in the day, then at about 6pm sticks his head further out and rests it by the door looking out, he raises his head and comes closer if i go near him, but apart from that just chills out, so i feel he prefers it down here....of course it IS warmer down here, which may attribute to it....?
karl Posted - 28/08/2009 : 11:39:36
At 4ft you would expect the snake to be circa 1.5kg and up, so a small rat would be a good feed. It's possible he is hungry.

Also, I have found tanks that are too hot can often cause snakes to hunt a huge amount, what temps have you achieved in his viv?
Vazzza Posted - 28/08/2009 : 09:20:17
Welcome to the forum, come to the right place for some sound advice!

As above, quite new to royal keeping myself, however a high 'traffic' area seems to be quite a common problem for stopping royals settle, but if he is feeding then it doesn't sound like too much of an issue. I have heard vibrations from things like TV's can also disrupt. Its either that or he is just a lively fella and was quiet at first as he wasn't settled, now he is comfortable with the surroundings he's willing to be a bit more active!!! might be an idea to ask the orginal owner what his behaviour was like when living with them to get an idea!
Robert Posted - 27/08/2009 : 23:13:25
In my short experience of owning a royal they do seem to like a quiet environment but they are curious and more active at night as they are nocturnal snakes, if your son has him out regulary and it is feeding well then there should be little if any problem the fact that it is coming out means that it does not feel too stressed which is great so don't worry so much, it sounds like you do not feel confident enough to handle it but that's not a problem as your son seems fine with that. I think in summary that if the snake is feeding well and puts on weight then it shouldn't be a problem, if that changes then relocate the snake to a quieter room, you could try covering the snakes viv on an evening if there are bright lights to help it settle more
Blackecho Posted - 27/08/2009 : 22:55:47
What are you feeding him and how often, how much does he weigh?
lee2308 Posted - 27/08/2009 : 22:28:22
hi and welcome to the forum
Gingerpony Posted - 27/08/2009 : 21:16:17
he could be distracted by the telly......... is it possible to move him to a quieter room?
Della Posted - 27/08/2009 : 20:51:43
Thanks for the quick reply, dont know his weight but he is approx 4 foot long and around 4 yrs old.
matty18714 Posted - 27/08/2009 : 20:48:32
Hello and welcome to the forum. Him exploring is just him looking around and hunting (which doesnt mean you should feed him). Dont worry about him "turning" on you, and I would worry even less about him slipping away. They arnt fast snakes, just dont take you eye off it.

If it feeding ok? Do you know how long it is, its age, or how much it weighs?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000