The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Question about royal pee

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vazzza Posted - 02/09/2009 : 16:02:10
I've been doing a bit of reading and the below popped up in a FAQ:

Q: What's that white "chalky" material?
A: Most snakes have evolved to be very efficient with body fluids. They don't urinate (or pee) like you and I, their kidneys pass 'dry' urates.

I'm pretty sure my snake, Gary, has done both. The other night i went to go to bed and his RUB had steamed up, I only cleaned it out a few hours before so assumed I had stupidly put the water on the heat mat and caused this condensation, took a look and the kitchen towel was wet directly above the heat mat and stunk (the water was in the cool end). Now I assumed this was pee, but reading the above I do also have to remove the white chalky material. I'm confused...
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Heffa Posted - 07/09/2009 : 09:58:31
hey, hope ya had a good weekend. I had to install the light, but only have it on whilst im at work to get the temps up, then i leave it off all night. The temp droPPED TO 71.6 last night in the cold section and 86 in the hot.

As you can see, the temp in my room drops considerably overnight. Would ya like to pop over for a coffee one night this week as i have loadsa questions to ask :)
Heffa Posted - 05/09/2009 : 08:55:33
Thanks for all your advice, Im still having issues with the heating, as you will prob see from the notes I made on my intial topic. Think im going to need to install the Red UV light
Vazzza Posted - 04/09/2009 : 17:25:10
The digital ones are soo much better, you can get away with a dial one for now, so don't rush to a pet shop to buy a digi one, get one off ebay for a couple of quid. I think i paid £15 in teh pet shop

Anytime, glad i can help, pay back some of the help i've got lol

And sounds good! I'm picking up 2 more royals tomorrow (1.8kgs and 1.3kgs breeding pair!!!), so we'll have to do a return trip to mine so you can meet Gary and the new arrivals as well!

i'm not much of a weekend forum visiter, only really during the day at work. So if i don't speak to you before, have a good weekend!
Heffa Posted - 04/09/2009 : 17:05:26
The humid meter i have is only a dial, are they not suitable then, do i need to get a digital one?

Yer stokenchurch is only about 10-15 mins from high wycombe, straight up oxford road, through west wycombe.

I will give it a go tonight, and hopefully she will be nice and happy for when i finish work tonight :)

thanks for all your help on this, its much appreciated.

Maybe ya have to pop round for a cuppa and meet the little "pain in the bum" lol :)
Vazzza Posted - 04/09/2009 : 16:56:34
Well i can't complain with a fiver, probably be the cheapest thing i've bought for Gary lol

I know of Stokenchuch, but wouldn't have realised it was so close lol

Drill loads. Put more in the cool end than in the warm end as well. I think i started with about 20 holes in the cool end, 10 in the hot and about 10 more in the lid (over the water bowl is key to let as much humidity escape as poss), thats been doubled now!

And don't do what i did, and drill the air holes and think you are done, give the drill back you lent, and then remember you need holes for thermometer probes etc. D'oh

One thing I have struggled with is the hole for the hygrowhatsit, as instead of a probe it has a box on the end, which would need quite a big hole. So that just gets put between the lid and box, then lid secured, the lid is secured properly so Gary can't push it off, yet lol
Heffa Posted - 04/09/2009 : 16:43:30
LOl...how many holes do you recommend I start off putting on the box, as gotta do it when I get home tonight.

I actually live in Stokenchurch, just up the road from Wyc, but thought High Wycombe people would recognise more.

Thats about the level I am getting in the viv.

the fan i bought was £5 from staples
Vazzza Posted - 04/09/2009 : 16:24:33
Yeah i can't imagine a place like that in Wycombe is going to be cheap!! Sounds gorgeous tho! I've always wanted to live in a place with a real fireplace. I went to someones house last week and they had a fire roaring, I didn't move for hours, completely mesmorised and really cosy lol

Please don't start with humidity levels, i really struggle there. I had my hygrometer (or whatever its called) out in my room the other day and it was reading 65% so don't know how i'm supposed to get the RUB below that. It can be i get home from work and its at about 75/80%, need to invest in a fan. If i drill any more holes in the RUB there won't be any box left lol
Heffa Posted - 04/09/2009 : 16:18:44
i know what you mean...yer we rent the place, but it gets so cold at night and even quite chilly in the day.

which doesnt help with the humidity levels, which always seem so high. I bought a little desk fan to help, and had it going for an hour this morning, hoping it wouldv made a slight difference.

Its a wierd little cottage, cos it mid terrace as well lol. But we got the real fireplace. Apparently it used to be part of an old milhouse lol....rent is definately enough haha
Vazzza Posted - 04/09/2009 : 15:55:46
Sounds like a plan, keeping inside the viv will definitely help retain some heat in the RUB. I have put a bit of kitchen roll in between the mat and the RUB (with mat outside the RUB) as i was worried about the RUB melting, probably would never happen but wanted to be sure.

And now i'm seriously jealous, I love old buildings!

I have heard that you can refreeze the rats. But i wouldn't want to risk it, sounds really dodgy to me lol
Heffa Posted - 04/09/2009 : 14:47:28
Cool....should i take the rob out of the viv altogether then and just put directly ontop of the mat, or would it be ok to keep it in the viv, but the rub have its top on, and ill keep the viv doors open. then she wont get too much light and it may help with the heat problem as my bedroom gets really cold, its not a very warm house lol....as i live in 400yr old cottage.

Also I was told that if you let a mouse thaw naturally at room temperature that these can be refrozen, is this right? as i would have thought refreezing defrosted meat would be the same as human food, lol...if ya know wot i mean ;)
Vazzza Posted - 04/09/2009 : 14:27:57
Could be a good idea to have the RUB in the viv and let Heffa have the option! But I'd be worried about keeping both the RUB and viv at the right heats. If I were you i'd just stick to the RUB for the time being, with the mat and stat you were using in the viv. Should do the job nicely!

I'd be hesitant about using the bulb and "turning it off after a few hours" as you'll just end up having the same heat fluctuations as before.

Yes you can feed 2 rats at a time. I can't advise on this though, i've only tried once and ended up with a wasted rat as Gary only wanted the 1, even tho it was particularly small compared to what he is used to.
Heffa Posted - 04/09/2009 : 14:04:37
Got the rub, digital thermos and the bulb and cage.

I havent got the stat for the bulb and whilst asking them about it, they just said to keep an eye on the thermos, and turn it off after a few hours at a time, or put on a timer.

They also mentioned about setting up the rub and placing this in the viv, with the lid off, so if she wants to venture out, then she can. This may resolve any stress, altho she seems ok and the heating issue.

Can you feed a snake 2 mice at a time, one after the other?
Vazzza Posted - 03/09/2009 : 17:21:14
Don't worry, everybody is new to it at some point! If she is eating then you really don't have anything to worry about. Even the heat isn't as uirgent a problem as first thought if shes eating, if she was that bothered by it she wouldn't want to eat thats for sure! However, she does need heat to digest her food properly so it does need fixing and the sooner the better. But just don't panic too much

If she is already in her viv and she is quite clearly happy, forget the talk of a RUB, go out and buy a heat bulb and appropiate stat, and you will be done. you'll need either a pulse or a dimming stat. now i would say go and buy this stuff off ebay for half the price, but it may be a case of the urgency means paying out. Also, don't forget a guard for the bulb, don't want a burnt heffa!

Heffa Posted - 03/09/2009 : 17:12:28
Heffa is already in her viv and seems comfortable. She has 2 hides, and a big log in the middle. She ventures around after handling and then settles in her hide.

When I discussed my concerns of putting her straight into the viv, they advised that she would be ok, as she isnt tiny anymore and if she didnt like it, she would seem stressed, not eat and timid in handling.

Is this correct? I must seem really new....truth is, I am. I want the very best for her :)

Pet shop defo said a UV light, it could be the infrared sort, im not sure and will check tomorrow. I just keep worrying that everyday I leave her, she isnt getting the correct heat she needs
Vazzza Posted - 03/09/2009 : 15:26:41
I'm currently using a RUB as Gary is only a baby. A RUB is effectvely a plastic storage box converted into a small viv using a heat mat and a few drilled holes. There is a handy "how to" in the DIY section that explains how to build one. And i wouldn't worry about spending the money on getting it set-up, as you will be able to use it for a while, and then once Heffa lives up to her name she'll be ready to move into the viv you have bought, so it won't be wasted money.

However I do think you might be getting slightly confused with what she has recommended, was it defo a UV light and not a ceramic heating bulb? not only will a UV light provide no useful heat, but provide unnecessary light. Its either you've got the wrong end of the stick, or the pet shop is using this as a chance to sell some bits.

My main advice to you is, stop taking advice from the pet shop. Take your advice from here then go to the shop knowing what you need, as it sounds a little bit like the shop is trying to sell you things you may not necessarily need, or if you do need, its for an adult royal not a baby.
Heffa Posted - 03/09/2009 : 14:03:14
Oh right, thanks for explaining that Vazzza. Heffa is only 2 to 3 months old, so not very old. She has had 2 sheds. I use "Aspen", so I guess it is going to be difficult to notice them, but there is no smell from the tank.

May I ask you about my heating issue? The lady at the reptile shop yesterday is recommending a UV light and a cage, however I know snakes are nocturnal and can live with daylight. What do you use to hear your viv?
Vazzza Posted - 03/09/2009 : 13:52:34
The urate balls can be small, or even just turn to dust if slithered over so can be hard to see. They are a slightly off-white colour, so if you are using kitchen roll as a substrate just look for a slightly off white powder, that is a squished urate ball. But as Heffa has only been in the tank since Sunday it may be that she hasn't produced any yet. Expect some shortly!

Sorry but i don't know Heffa's background, how old is she? I believe they only poo once every month or so (Somebody can confirm this for you), so it may be copletely normal. I've had Gary for 3 weeks tomorrow with no sign of a poo! It may just be she is saving for when she sheds, as it seems royals tend to 'unload' and shed at the same time.
Heffa Posted - 03/09/2009 : 13:45:11
I havent had either from Heffa. I have had her in the viv since Sunday. Do you think the temp issues im having are affecting this?

The owner before, advised that she has only ever pooed twice since birth, is this normal?
karl Posted - 03/09/2009 : 12:51:36
I get both, one day it'll be urates, the next it's a totally drowned viv. I suppose they CAN drink more in the viv than they ever would in the wild. Mine tends to have the wet ones after a poo, and urates the rest of the time.
MissCat Posted - 02/09/2009 : 16:54:58
it's okay, i panicked a bit when i found the urate balls LOL i didnt realise they did them til i found some and came on here in a frenzy rofl >.<

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000