The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 HELP!!!! please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kerriekins666 Posted - 10/09/2009 : 22:04:34
left snake set up for a few hours
came back....
with bulb on
98oF hot end, 80oF cold end
humidity is 88%
condensation on the glass
its like a sauna what can i do????

needs help
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chris100575 Posted - 12/09/2009 : 00:55:35
You'd be better off with a screw in fitting, I was sold a bayonet fitting and it's a pig to find bulbs that fit. I used an adaptor for a while and then just bought a screw in fitting holder.
lee2308 Posted - 12/09/2009 : 00:20:42
a screw in fitting is only a couple of quid or you can buy these adapters http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PR-BAYONET-TO-ES-CONVERTER_W0QQitemZ160352353522QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item2555bebcf2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:11:02
i dnt have screw in lightbulb, do they do them with the connection that has got like two metal rods which connect into the bulb holder
spor Posted - 11/09/2009 : 21:53:35
BE have to agree those pads are great i have them holding my stats to the back of vivs.
kerrie you need to buy and infra red heat lamp. normal red light bulb doesn't really do the job.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Infra-Red-Heat-Lamp-100W-R80-ES-Screw-in_W0QQitemZ120365115982QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item1c0651ea4e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Blackecho Posted - 11/09/2009 : 18:51:48
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-NUMBER-PLATE-STICKER-PADS-CAR-CARAVAN-NO-DRILLING_W0QQitemZ270452165142QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cherished_Numbers?hash=item3ef8348a16&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I use these if I need to stick things, you can cut them to size and they are designed for sticking number plates on, so are quite heavy duty and <£2 delivered.

Obviously, don't use them inside the viv as you don't want a snake stuck to one!
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 18:45:29
thanks, thats helpful good idea

cheers
matty198111 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 18:24:29
well the easiest thing to do is drill a little hole in your viv so the leads can go through that and then you can keep therm and hydgr outside the viv

mat
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 15:05:56
well you guys have solved my probs...hehe thanks a lot.
i was worried about having all these different stats attached to my wall lol
the only thing i got to try and figure out is how to keep my digi thermometer, hydrometer and plant from falling off the sides of the viv. They all have, including the plant one of those sticky things you lick, and then stick on to things, prob is they keep falling off. im thinking about double sided tape but even that will loss stick eventually

i will figure it out

thanks guys!!!!
chris100575 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 15:01:39
Absolutely right. The bulb would be on 24/7 yes. If you're worried about it disturbing your sleep you could drape a towel or something over the front of the viv. The other option would be a ceramic bulb, these give out heat but no light. The drawback is that you need a specific bulb holder for them, you can't use a normal plastic one.
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:56:11
cool so temperature can stay constant.
thats good
so all i need to do then is to get this dimming thermo for my light bulb, leave it for a few days so that it can sort out the temp and then should be all set

was just worried cause i always thought there had to be a drop in temperature during the night, but if the drop is tiny and people are suggesting that there is no need for a temp drop then thats fine by me

the last thing - does the dimming stat mean the bulb has to be on 24/7
chris100575 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:49:25
You can indeed buy dimming thermostats that provide a night time temperature drop, I have one myself. I'm using a Microclimate B1ME, but I think Habistat make a similar one. On mine you set the day time temp on one dial and the amount of drop you want on the second, eg 32 - 5 for 32 degrees during the day and a 5 degree drop at night. The stat has a light sensor and it drops the temperature when it goes dark. To be honest though a lot of people don't bother dropping the temp overnight, and a normal dimming stat without the night drop is probably cheaper.

While I am using a 100w bulb it won't be putting out anything like that as the stat keeps it turned down. I kind of figured that a 100w bulb running at low power would last longer than a lower wattage bulb running at full.
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:43:56
so, your saying that the temperature can be the same throughout during the day and night

90F in the hot end
83ishF in the cold end
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:42:24
does this seem suitable for my needs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HABISTAT-DIMMING-THERMOSTAT-With-Day-Night-Facility_W0QQitemZ390091288177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item5ad340ae71&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
boze Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:42:05
Hey, you dont actually need a drop in temp at night, some people do but as someone else explained youll probably get a tiny drop at night anyways as the ambient temperature of the house drops a slight amount.

Heres a link to a good dimming stat which is a bit cheaper than a lot of the others: http://www.pawsforthoughtpetcentres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=218&zenid=1b3ce073c2b376d53ce1426ded52d09f

D
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:38:36
thanks does anyone have a link to a suitable dimming stat.

Also a problem is the day/night ones i hear detect light changes, the snake will be in my bedroom but the light in my bedroom tends to be on quite a lot as i am in there a lot, and often up late at night, will this affect and how can it be resolved.

sorry to be a pain!!!!
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:28:44
I think you can get day/night dimming thermostats as well as the normal ones. I think they will allow you to set a daytime and nighttime temperature.
Gingerpony Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:23:46
quote:
Originally posted by kerriekins666

i have decided to ignore the pet shop completely

good call hun

the advice a lot of shops offer is the same regardless of whether you're buying a Burm or a beardie.................
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:17:46
thanks very much everyone
i will try and get my hands on a dimming thermostat as soon as i can
my reptile shop doesnt sell them only the normal thermostats that connect to the heat mats but im sure the internet will provide. In the meantime, i have asked the breeder to hold onto the snake until i can get the correct temperatures set up in the tank.
My red bulb is a 40W, not 100W but it heats up a lot and believe that it has more than enough power to hit the 90F temperature for the hot end.
Also I need to know. In the evening the temperature obviously has to drop. Can the dimming thermostat do this for me, cause if i turn the bulb off at night, and i dont have a heatmat then the temperature is going to drop all the way down. Can the dimming thermostat make sure that it doesnt drop below a certain temperature and if so does that mean i have to have the bulb on 24/7

sorry about the essay, but i have decided to ignore the pet shop completely
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 11/09/2009 : 12:40:56
Dimming thermostats work on normal bulbs by reducing the amount of power going to the bulb when the temperature (read by a probe attached to the thermostat and placed in the viv under the heat source) nears what is set on the thermostat dial. So if you had the thermostat dial set at 90F and the temperature under the bulb was at that temperature the thermostat will reduce the amount of power supplied to the bulb, which will cause it to dim (reducing light and heat slightly) so that the temperature does not go above 90F. They keep the temperature range nice and tight... much less wide fluctuation with a dimming stat.
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 10:36:47
ok thanks a lot
it is a normal red bulb i believe
not quite sure how high the viv is im afraid

so its best for me to take these steps

1. dry out barck chippings to lower humidity
2. get rid of heat mat and buy a dimming thermostat for the bulb

do i need a dimming bulb for the thermostat or will it work on a normal bulb, and is there any info on how the dimming thermostats work cause i only really know about the normal thermostats

thanks a lot

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000