The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 just a few minor questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 20:11:33
royal python

1. What is the minumum temperature in the hot end i should have?
2. What is the minimum temperature in the cool end i should have?
3. What is the minimum humidity i should have?
4. What is the maximum humidity i should have?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Heffa Posted - 14/09/2009 : 15:12:39
Are you using a digital hygrometer, if you are using a dial, they are way out.

I found that out today. The dial was showing my room humidity at 75% and her viv at 85%.

So I went and got a digital dual thermo/hygro from B&Q, about £10 but you can them cheaper on the net and it dropped it to 55% in and out the rub.

Also by putting your viv closer to the window, is that affecting your temps at all? I see you have 88%, what is your cooler temp? As I have bin having problems stabilising my cool end
chris100575 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 09:54:58
What Matty said.

If the breeder is responsible he should be happy to hold the snake for you until you get the setup right. The reason some of us don't measure the humidity is that in the UK the average humidity is 50% which is what royals need. These guys come from Africa, 88% humidity will make them ill. If it's that high I don't see it dropping to 50% within a few days unless you ditch the bark and go with paper or aspen.
matty18714 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 21:08:32
If you still dont have any stats, and still have high humidity, dont get the snake. If you get a stat, and chnage the substrate to paper, problem solved.
kerriekins666 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 20:54:45
well i have got two ventilation holes in the back of the vivarium. I have 16 ventilation holes in a square shape in the cool end of the vivarium and have 9 ventilation holes in the hot end.
the temperature is 86oF, so the temperature is all sorted out now.
The humidity as we speak is 88%.
2 days ago it stopped on 91%, and now it is stopping on 88% so i am guessing that it will slowly go down to an ambient humidity, probably the bark chippings drying out.
i rung a royal python breeder about an hour ago, and he said that it will sort itself out in about 4-5 days. I said that i was getting the snake tomorrow but wasnt going to go ahead with it if the humidity was going to cause him any problems. He said to me that high humidity can cause RI but that is only if the humidity has been high forever. He said keeping your snake in the viv while the humidity sorts itself out for 4-5 days will not cause any harm. So he told me i was ok to go ahead with bringing the snake home. I am purchasing a smaller water bowl as well because the one that came with the setup is really a bit big for the viv and he said that could also be a reason.
so snake comes home tomorrow and all fingers crossed for the humidity to sort itself out.
Blackecho Posted - 13/09/2009 : 20:20:31
I don't know how you're getting such a high humidity. It is digital not dial?

More ventilation.
kerriekins666 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:09:41
and i have read that some people on here dont measure their humidity. does this mean that it wont affect the snake too much if it is higher than normal.
kerriekins666 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 18:59:21
humidity has got to 73%
i dont know what to do, i dont think it is going to go down any further and it is near the window so there is air circulation

can i put snake in viv with 73% humidity
kerriekins666 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 16:53:43
havent got a camera and my phone's camera isnt good enough to show where everything is, its just a blur...i did try. I have moved the tank nearer my window, which should be an area where the air is more circulated.
Blackecho Posted - 13/09/2009 : 08:43:33
Have you got a photo of your setup?
kerriekins666 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 07:10:03
dried out the bark chippings, and added more vent holes to my vivarium (quite a few of them too!!!!)
humidity is sitting at 88%
no condensation on the glass though
is it ok to leave at this percentage, or does it still need to be lowered.
if so i have done everything you have said, what else can i do to lower this percentage.
Blackecho Posted - 12/09/2009 : 09:34:57
Yes, the bulb will get very hot un-statted. Heat mats can do too if they are laid on.
kerriekins666 Posted - 12/09/2009 : 06:28:13
but would the bulb just get hotter and hotter and hotter
chris100575 Posted - 12/09/2009 : 00:59:01
If you don't have a thermostat on the mat, which I'm assuming you don't based on your other threads, you'd be better off using the bulb instead of the mat. Unstatted heating is never good, but at least the snake can't lie on the bulb...
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:38:14
the bark is fairly warm
do you think the hide could possibly be trapping some of the heat, is it worth taking the hide out till i get the temperature up to 30 and then putting the hide back in
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:37:09
im using orchid bark chippings, this is what the snake is used to
and there gotta be about (only estimating) 1cm substrate over the heatmat, give or take a few mm.
Blackecho Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:33:34
What is the substrate and how deep is it, the heat may not be able to get through too much.
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:32:36
the heat mat is on one side of the tank, and a hide is on top of that. The temperature prob is just behind the hide in the corner resting on the substrate
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:31:39
its been nearly an hour since i asked for an estimation and the temperature is rising by 0.1oC every hour, its now at 27.3 So i am guessing that a couple of days should be able to get the heatmat to heat the viv up to the required 30oC.

One more thing, does the amount of ventilation you have in the vivarium affect the temperature because i need to put some holes in the help the humidity decrease but i dont want to put too many in so that the temperature drops, cause then i am back to square 1 again.

lol...i got 3 days to get it all at optimum temperatures and humidity. not as easy as i first thought.
Blackecho Posted - 11/09/2009 : 23:30:52
Where and how are you measuring the temperature?
kerriekins666 Posted - 11/09/2009 : 22:45:33
cause they never seem to actually get very warm/hot

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000